GORILLAZ: Humanz Album Thread

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

tom_cas1

Re: GORILLAZ: Humanz Album Thread

Post by tom_cas1 » 22 Nov 2017, 00:29

Democrazy had a number of excellent tracks though, some of which morphed into fully fledged songs a few years later. I Need A Gun/Dirty Harry for example. But the whole album was and still is really good. The demo tracks from the Humanz era are terrible in comparison, I can't imagine any of them turning into full songs further down the line.

I'd love to hear more Democrazy songs turned into full studio versions. So many great tracks.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

stephen

Post by stephen » 22 Nov 2017, 11:45

Correct me if I'm wrong, this is a rappy song.

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 24 Nov 2017, 17:46

Rappy Song is one of Damon's funniest tracks. Really catchy too. I've always lamented the fact that Half a Song (as far as I know) never turned into something. It's one of my favorite Damon tunes ever, as silly as that may sound. When I think about it, it could be a lovely fit for GBQ...

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 24 Nov 2017, 20:03

Rappy Song is one of the catchiest songs ever... I just realized a couple days ago and realized the one lyric in A rappy song... I'm pretty positive he says "My gorillaz will come again.. I hope you'll like us" the last verse before the ending... I don't know why, but considering it was recorded pre-Demon Days, I get shivers down my spine when I hear that lyric, being the Gorillaz/Damon fanboy I am..

Anyway, Democrazy is a brilliant album because of the demo quality of it.. you can hear that it was recorded early mornings when Damon was drunk or stoned not wanting to sleep but make music instead.

I like all the tracks on Super Deluxe Humanz apart from Columbians, Charger Alternative, and She's My Collar Spanish... The rest are good, some a lot better than others.. If you listen to the Super Deluxe as it was intended, some songs sound cool with the original tracklisting.. Like Longbeach after Ascension and before Strobelight... Duetz after Saturnz Barz, Midnite Float before Momentz.. Or a minute or less version of Columbians called "Interlude: Columbians".. It all really comes together kind of nicely. If they took out the songs I mentioned I don't like... ESPECIALLY Carnival without 2d and Charger Alternative than Super Deluxe Humanz would be the official version I would listen to. Long Beach is in dire need of some rap though. I wonder if there was ever one? And Midnite Float is probably my favourite of the new tracks... It's really the most finished sounding and the vocals are Fucking Wicked! Very cool after Momentz... It's almost like an intermission type middle thing to the album.. if that makes sense.
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 28 Nov 2017, 22:13

Wow! Gorillaz are nominated for 2 grammys. That's a big deal, as they've only been nominated once before, right? I wonder if Damon will go? He must surely be pleased! Andromeda is nominated for best dance record, and Humanz is up for best alternative record. Really hope Humanz wins...!

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 28 Nov 2017, 23:52

Glad to see Andromeda nominated. But...Humanz gets nominated and Beck's new album doesn't? How the hell did that happen?
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 29 Nov 2017, 17:03

I'm more bewildered that St. Vincent's new album didn't. It's sooooo good. Especially since she won the award in 2014!

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 01 Dec 2017, 10:27

Gorillaz - Andromeda (DRAM Special) out today ---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD6PveAO6l0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 02 Dec 2017, 05:49

i thought some of the bonus tracks were tight. "duetz" needed tweaking but it's certainly a great start. "midnite float" takes a long time to get going but it's strong when it does. DRAM's verse in his "andromeda" special is outstanding but the original works so well that i don't know how it would fit in- maybe the outro. the faia younan special of "busted and blue" was pretty great. "garage palace" is just fun, and if it had been finished when the rest of humanz was it would have definitely been on the album. "phoenix on the hill" is a nice weird moodpiece or something.

the other songs range from "far from finished but promising" (Long Beach) to "how to make the best thing ever the worst thing ever" (the Pauline Black version of Charger)
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

damon008

Post by damon008 » 02 Dec 2017, 06:53

tom_cas1 wrote:Glad to see Andromeda nominated. But...Humanz gets nominated and Beck's new album doesn't? How the hell did that happen?

swings and the roundabout. plenty of times ive seen damon and co not get nominated,,, but becks album is best since his 90s stuff imo_

bugman

Post by bugman » 19 Dec 2017, 20:54

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... joMXWawohA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jamie talks about gorillaz future plans:

so new gorillaz album in 2018 and 2019 ;]

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 03 Jan 2018, 15:55

New art?! ...https://www.instagram.com/p/Bdff8g5D3Jb/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.instagram.com/p/BdffJa2jgkS/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 04 Jan 2018, 19:53

bugman wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... joMXWawohA

jamie talks about gorillaz future plans:

so new gorillaz album in 2018 and 2019 ;]
:roll: CLOSE THREAD

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 23 Jan 2018, 18:21

How does everyone feel about "Homanz" now? I honestly haven't listened to it since it first came out and feel it just didn't age too well even within less than a year. It was really an inferior product compared to anything else Gorillaz ever did and I really despised "Plastic Beach"...... Just I honestly wish Damon would focus strictly on the "Good, Bad, and the Queen" sequel and then also devote more time towards Blur, but I am always wondering if both Alex and Dave are up to that.

I still would love if Damon and Graham recorded a full Folk album together and toured it!

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 23 Jan 2018, 21:42

i still dig humanz. dont listen to it much anymore but then again i dont listen to much gorillaz anymore. thats just for now tho.
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners