GORILLAZ: Humanz Album Thread

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Sledge Hammer

Re: GORILLAZ: Humanz Album Thread

Post by Sledge Hammer » 14 Jul 2017, 14:11

MrMagpie wrote:Finally got around to listening to the album...I bought it when it came out but have been so busy I didn't have a chance. I've given it a couple of spins and...it's terrible. I never thought I'd say that about a Damon project, especially Gorillaz (which I love), but this album plain sucks in my opinion. Very unmelodic, which is shocking for Damon. The worst part is that the collaborators completely take over, almost pushing Damon to the sidelines on just about every song. Also, the fun that was always there on Gorillaz albums is completely gone. There wasn't a single memorable song for me on this and I don't know if I even feel like listening to it again for a long time.

I'm probably in the minority on this board with this opinion (although I didn't go back to read all of this thread so I don't know), but as someone who loves just about everything Damon touches, and who has loved EVERY Gorillaz release up to this point...what an unimpressive, disappointing piece of work Humanz is. Yuck.
Exactly spot on, I got loads of abuse for saying it was terrible, now time has past...I think it's even worse, it's truly awful. It's about a million miles from the quality of Demon Days.

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 14 Jul 2017, 14:15

...and still no Idea how Tom said the opening few tracks are amazing, as you said Magpie, they are awful...I couldn't believe it when I was listening either, have I pressed a demo or something?

The album might have hit no 1, but its like it never even appeared, barely any airplay anywhere..did it even happen?

Sledge Hammer

Re: GORILLAZ: Humanz Album Thread // 28th April

Post by Sledge Hammer » 14 Jul 2017, 14:20

tom_cas1 wrote:I'm four songs in at the moment (Ascension, Strobelite, Saturnz Barz and Momentz) and I'd go as far as saying it's the best opening to a Gorillaz album ever. Fucking incredible. On to Submission now, FUCK YES!
:shock:

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 14 Jul 2017, 19:53

Soz Sledge, I don't think I've given you abuse for you hate of Humanz. If I have then I apologise. But I'm going to agree to disagree with you and magpie. I think it's a great record. Momentz, adorminda, Strobelite,Charger and Out of body are Gorillaz classics in my view. And also fantastic performed live too as I saw in St Albans Last month. My defence of the album is that it is a grower and once it clicks it works beautifully as a whole rather than separate tracks. Far better than Plastic Beech and The Fall. But no where near the original or Demon Dayz.

As for Sleeper Powder that also is a Gorillaz Classic too. Shame it's not on Humanz
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 14 Jul 2017, 20:01

I listened to it yet again today. Meh. Some songs approaching decent, but overall it just doesn't stick with me at all. For me, it's the worst Gorillaz album by a long shot... even prefer The Fall to this. I like Plastic Beach MUCH more, and it's not even in the same galaxy, let alone zip code (for the Americans who will get that saying) as Demon Days or the debut.

More than anything, I'm just disappointed in Damon. I know he's capable of so much better than this. I was so hyped up for a new Gorillaz album and this one just fell far, far short of my expectations. Ah well, variety is the spice of life, right?

The Rock and Roll Chemist: http://www.rnrchemist.blogspot.com
Twitter: @rocknrollchem http://www.twitter.com/rocknrollchem

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 14 Jul 2017, 20:06

Fair point Drew. I sort of understand your misgivings. But I guess it's horses for courses. As I love the record. I guess there's always the Sequel to The Good the bad and the queen album in "April" 18 to look forward to!
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

tom_cas1

Re: GORILLAZ: Humanz Album Thread // 28th April

Post by tom_cas1 » 15 Jul 2017, 00:02

Sledge Hammer wrote:
tom_cas1 wrote:I'm four songs in at the moment (Ascension, Strobelite, Saturnz Barz and Momentz) and I'd go as far as saying it's the best opening to a Gorillaz album ever. Fucking incredible. On to Submission now, FUCK YES!
:shock:
Well done, you've mastered the gift of reading. And I stand by my comments.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 15 Jul 2017, 17:36

unpopular opinion: the more i listen to sleeping powder the less i like it
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 17 Jul 2017, 04:44

I don't think I've found a song on Humanz that won't grow on me the more I listen. It especially helps hearing the songs live, of course. I think the worst is Sex Murder Party, yet I find Damon's chorus stuck in my head often. I didn't like Saturnz Barz when it first leaked, but it's now one of my favorite Gorillaz songs (and great for pumping up the crowd live!) Submission I was so indifferent to until Kelela's melody got stuck in my head and Danny's unique voice and delivery intrigued me, but what really sold me on it was when I realized "omg, there's Graham Coxon noise on this song when you listen closely." Wish it were louder of course, but still.

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 18 Jul 2017, 18:14

Mark72 wrote:Fair point Drew. I sort of understand your misgivings. But I guess it's horses for courses. As I love the record. I guess there's always the Sequel to The Good the bad and the queen album in "April" 18 to look forward to!
Right on! :D

Consigliere_11

Post by Consigliere_11 » 23 Jul 2017, 19:00

MrMagpie wrote:I listened to it yet again today. Meh. Some songs approaching decent, but overall it just doesn't stick with me at all. For me, it's the worst Gorillaz album by a long shot... even prefer The Fall to this. I like Plastic Beach MUCH more, and it's not even in the same galaxy, let alone zip code (for the Americans who will get that saying) as Demon Days or the debut.

More than anything, I'm just disappointed in Damon. I know he's capable of so much better than this. I was so hyped up for a new Gorillaz album and this one just fell far, far short of my expectations. Ah well, variety is the spice of life, right?
I didn't write on the forum for a while particularly because I didn't really feel like the majority of people on the forum who enjoyed the record. I share your thoughts - after a couple of months since its release, I do not listen to "Humanz" at all, unfortunately. There are decent tracks on there, but nothing that would excite me. That is fine, everybody's got their own tastes, but it's just sad that it didn't grow on me after so many tries. I am waiting for the new TGTB&TQ record then :)
RIP Mr. Okay (April 2015 - March 2016)

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 24 Jul 2017, 12:26

Consigliere_11 wrote:
MrMagpie wrote:I listened to it yet again today. Meh. Some songs approaching decent, but overall it just doesn't stick with me at all. For me, it's the worst Gorillaz album by a long shot... even prefer The Fall to this. I like Plastic Beach MUCH more, and it's not even in the same galaxy, let alone zip code (for the Americans who will get that saying) as Demon Days or the debut.

I didn't write on the forum for a while particularly because I didn't really feel like the majority of people on the forum who enjoyed the record. I share your thoughts - after a couple of months since its release, I do not listen to "Humanz" at all, unfortunately. There are decent tracks on there, but nothing that would excite me. That is fine, everybody's got their own tastes, but it's just sad that it didn't grow on me after so many tries. I am waiting for the new TGTB&TQ record then :)
I'm still just shocked that Damon would put out such a poor album, and especially under the Gorillaz name which, to this point, has basically been a 100% brilliant project.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 25 Jul 2017, 01:09

It still is a 100% brilliant project in my eyes, not counting The Fall which I still feel tainted the legacy a little bit especially as it was classed as a full studio album for some reason. But Humanz really is a very good album.

My only criticism is that I wish Damon would use a different live band instead of just using the same guys from his solo tour. Cheapens it a little bit.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 25 Jul 2017, 02:27

I just have to be in a certain mood to really listen to "Humanz"....Again...it's a atmospheric album that doesn't have a clear cut solid single and each song builds tension off from each other. I still though prefer most of the bonus tracks and "HM" really has grown on me after I completely dismissed it upon my first listen!

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 26 Jul 2017, 12:45

I have to admit, I am still loving Humanz. I do get why some people may not have warmed to it, at first I had similar feelings, mainly for me due to the dominating guests, but in many ways I have come to love this for the same reason as I think these are Damon's best collaborations yet. It would be great to get more of a detailed insite into the albums creation.

I just love the albums energy, for me it fits so many different moods and the songs fit well with much of their previous material.