GORILLAZ: Humanz Album Thread

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Rubi

Re: GORILLAZ: Humanz Album Thread

Post by Rubi » 12 Jul 2017, 21:32

Why is Strobelite listed as the new single on Veikko's page?

http://www.vblurpage.com/discography/gorillaz/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Veikko
Site Admin

Post by Veikko » 12 Jul 2017, 22:31

Rubi wrote:Why is Strobelite listed as the new single on Veikko's page?

http://www.vblurpage.com/discography/gorillaz/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Removed. ;-)

I assumed a few weeks ago the new single/video will be "Strobelite", because there were various hints about that:
- They filmed the video in a club which had the Strobelite lyrics on the wall https://www.instagram.com/p/BVEm1vIFN5_" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- Around the same time, Emma de Caunes wrote on her Instagram "#strobelite #comingsoon", but oddly she later removed "#comingsoon" https://www.instagram.com/p/BVqIZhnFqSD/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Veikko
Site Admin

Post by Veikko » 13 Jul 2017, 02:29

New update from Jamie regarding the video:
https://www.reddit.com/r/gorillaz/comme ... oh_my_god/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"The video will be released when it's finished. No point releasing it when it's not finished right? And who said it's Strobelite?"

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 13 Jul 2017, 04:17

I get excited thinking that it won't be Strobelite, but I can't help but feel Jamie is just trying to keep things all secretive if he can.

munch

Post by munch » 13 Jul 2017, 14:11

well its probably strobelite then
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 13 Jul 2017, 14:58

Finally got around to listening to the album...I bought it when it came out but have been so busy I didn't have a chance. I've given it a couple of spins and...it's terrible. I never thought I'd say that about a Damon project, especially Gorillaz (which I love), but this album plain sucks in my opinion. Very unmelodic, which is shocking for Damon. The worst part is that the collaborators completely take over, almost pushing Damon to the sidelines on just about every song. Also, the fun that was always there on Gorillaz albums is completely gone. There wasn't a single memorable song for me on this and I don't know if I even feel like listening to it again for a long time.

I'm probably in the minority on this board with this opinion (although I didn't go back to read all of this thread so I don't know), but as someone who loves just about everything Damon touches, and who has loved EVERY Gorillaz release up to this point...what an unimpressive, disappointing piece of work Humanz is. Yuck.

The Rock and Roll Chemist: http://www.rnrchemist.blogspot.com
Twitter: @rocknrollchem http://www.twitter.com/rocknrollchem

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 13 Jul 2017, 15:41

MrMagpie wrote:Finally got around to listening to the album...I bought it when it came out but have been so busy I didn't have a chance. I've given it a couple of spins and...it's terrible. I never thought I'd say that about a Damon project, especially Gorillaz (which I love), but this album plain sucks in my opinion. Very unmelodic, which is shocking for Damon. The worst part is that the collaborators completely take over, almost pushing Damon to the sidelines on just about every song. Also, the fun that was always there on Gorillaz albums is completely gone. There wasn't a single memorable song for me on this and I don't know if I even feel like listening to it again for a long time.

I'm probably in the minority on this board with this opinion (although I didn't go back to read all of this thread so I don't know), but as someone who loves just about everything Damon touches, and who has loved EVERY Gorillaz release up to this point...what an unimpressive, disappointing piece of work Humanz is. Yuck.
I think you're wrong about the album being bad but you are definitely not the only person here who thinks that.
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 13 Jul 2017, 17:37

^fair enough! I don't have the time or inclination to go back and read everything in this thread...what's the general consensus on the album? 50/50 like/dislike? More like? More dislike? I'm curious. I'm still shocked at how much I dislike the album/how bad it is. Just my $0.02.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 13 Jul 2017, 17:45

70/30 like dislike I'd say. I'd suggest listening to the album a few more times though, it's definitely a grower compared to an instant smash. At least that's how I found out. On first listen I loved half the album and felt a little cold towards the other half. But after I few more listens I just fell in love with it.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 13 Jul 2017, 21:01

MrMagpie wrote:Finally got around to listening to the album...I bought it when it came out but have been so busy I didn't have a chance. I've given it a couple of spins and...it's terrible.

....but as someone who loves just about everything Damon touches, and who has loved EVERY Gorillaz release up to this point...what an unimpressive, disappointing piece of work Humanz is. Yuck
Fans like to keep the faith with Damon. But 'Humanz' is a bit indifferent :| . It lacks the buzz of e.g. the first two Gorillaz albums.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

stephen

Post by stephen » 14 Jul 2017, 08:06

MrMagpie wrote:Finally got around to listening to the album...I bought it when it came out but have been so busy I didn't have a chance. I've given it a couple of spins and...it's terrible. I never thought I'd say that about a Damon project, especially Gorillaz (which I love), but this album plain sucks in my opinion. Very unmelodic, which is shocking for Damon. The worst part is that the collaborators completely take over, almost pushing Damon to the sidelines on just about every song. Also, the fun that was always there on Gorillaz albums is completely gone. There wasn't a single memorable song for me on this and I don't know if I even feel like listening to it again for a long time.

I've given it about 3 plays but I just seem to be skipping the tracks.

tender

Post by tender » 14 Jul 2017, 09:32

MrMagpie wrote:^fair enough! I don't have the time or inclination to go back and read everything in this thread...what's the general consensus on the album? 50/50 like/dislike? More like? More dislike? I'm curious. I'm still shocked at how much I dislike the album/how bad it is. Just my $0.02.
Not even Busted and Blue or Ticker Tape?

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 14 Jul 2017, 12:26

tender wrote:
MrMagpie wrote:^fair enough! I don't have the time or inclination to go back and read everything in this thread...what's the general consensus on the album? 50/50 like/dislike? More like? More dislike? I'm curious. I'm still shocked at how much I dislike the album/how bad it is. Just my $0.02.
Those were better than most tracks, but that opening salvo of ~3-4 songs is just awful. AWFUL. When I played the album for the first time, I legit was wondering if somehow the wrong disc had been pressed under the label, until I finally heard Damon's voice (barely) on one of the tracks. I couldn't believe how bad it was. Granted, Gorillaz is usually less melodic than Damon's work with Blur, but it still has always shone through. There is barely ANY melody on most of these cuts, and the collaborators completely overwhelm and take over the project to the point that Damon's marginal vocal contributions relegate *him* as the collaborator instead of the leader.

I've listened to the album 3 times, and each one was torture. The sense of fun and playfulness present in every prior Gorillaz album (yes, even The Fall) is completely absent here. Given this album, I wish he and Jamie hadn't decided to revive the project. Ah, well. No one's perfect, not even Damon.

Again, just my $0.02, I know I'm in the minority here.

stephen

Post by stephen » 14 Jul 2017, 12:56

MrMagpie wrote:
tender wrote:
Those were better than most tracks, but that opening salvo of ~3-4 songs is just awful. AWFUL. What a fucking shitty way to open an album, with that steaming turdpile of tracks. When I played the album for the first time, I legit was wondering if somehow the wrong disc had been pressed under the label, until I finally heard Damon's voice (barely) on one of the tracks. I couldn't believe how bad it was. Granted, Gorillaz is usually less melodic than Damon's work with Blur, but it still has always shone through. There is barely ANY melody on most of these cuts, and the collaborators completely overwhelm and take over the project to the point that Damon's marginal vocal contributions relegate *him* as the collaborator instead of the leader.

I've listened to the album 3 times, and each one was torture. The sense of fun and playfulness present in every prior Gorillaz album (yes, even The Fall) is completely absent here. Given this album, I wish he and Jamie hadn't decided to revive the project. Ah, well. No one's perfect, not even Damon.

Again, just my $0.02, I know I'm in the minority here.
I don't think you are in a minority. I respect the change in sound, it just seems very weak to me. Gorillaz tunes normally leave me coming back for more but not this album. There's a couple of good tracks but there's just not enough sticky goo.

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 14 Jul 2017, 14:05

I'm honestly not crazy about the album myself. I've given it a lot of listens and some songs I initially liked like We Got the Power, but the more I listened to them I wasn't impressed. I must say, although it's not a 2D song, I really like Stroblite. Other than that, I like Busted & Blue, Andromeda, She's My Collar, Momentz, & Let Me Out. The rest, I don't like. I also really like Sleeping Powder even though it's not on the album. What did you think of that song Drew?