GORILLAZ: Humanz Album Thread

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

John_d

Re: GORILLAZ: Humanz Album Thread // 28th April

Post by John_d » 25 Apr 2017, 12:54

I visited the Gorillaz online shop again today and the 2 LP + art book is still out of stock. Can anybody recommend what my best option woud be? I live in the UK.

rich

Post by rich » 25 Apr 2017, 13:08

getting mine from earache but seems they're out of the 2 x LPs/book edition http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Earache-Record ... w=gorillaz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I put me trousers on, have a cup of tea, and think about leaving the house...
my gig videos https://vimeo.com/user19376405

Veikko
Site Admin

Post by Veikko » 25 Apr 2017, 14:14

The first reviews are in and they're very good...

The Arts Desk - 4/5
Clash Music - 8/10
Consequence of Sound - B-
NME - 4/5
Q - 4/5

Metacritic - 78/100

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 25 Apr 2017, 14:48

John_d wrote:I visited the Gorillaz online shop again today and the 2 LP + art book is still out of stock. Can anybody recommend what my best option woud be? I live in the UK.
I bought ordered mine from norman records https://www.normanrecords.com/records/1 ... laz-humanz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and even though it's out of stock they order it in for you. Well that's what they tell me
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 25 Apr 2017, 15:04

Veikko wrote:The first reviews are in and they're very good...

The Arts Desk - 4/5
Clash Music - 8/10
NME - 4/5
Q - 4/5

Metacritic - 78/100
The needle drops will be an interesting watch.
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

tender

Post by tender » 25 Apr 2017, 16:59

The Arts Desk - 4/5
Clash Music - 8/10
NME - 4/5
Q - 4/5

Metacritic - 78/100

Someone seems to be holding a grudge at Tone Deaf

http://www.tonedeaf.com.au/500383/goril ... review.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

John_d

Post by John_d » 25 Apr 2017, 17:28

That's...a really weird review! The one recurring point seems to be that listeners feel almost overwhelmed with the number of collaborators. I wonder if overtly identifying the album as a "mixtape" might have defused this.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 25 Apr 2017, 17:56

Never heard of Tone Deaf, never read anything from them before and won't be reading anything from them again after that shambolic "review". There's not liking an album and then there's chatting complete and utter SHITE which they did there.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 25 Apr 2017, 17:59

Mark72 wrote:

The Arts Desk - 4/5
Clash Music - 8/10
NME - 4/5
Q - 4/5

Metacritic - 78/100
The needle drops will be an interesting watch.
i know initially he didnt like the songs that were out but when "let me out" dropped, he said that song was amazing, and the other songs were starting to grow

so yeah, that will be interesting.
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 25 Apr 2017, 19:15

New Rolling Stone interview: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/featu ... re-w477652" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 25 Apr 2017, 19:49

http://www.tonedeaf.com.au/500383/goril ... review.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Spot on...

"But even with these scattered pleasures, Humanz is not the record fans have been patiently waiting seven long years for. It’s not even really a record. It’s just a lazily concocted, sleepy assemblage of B-sides, distracting for exactly the length of its running time and not a second longer."

"The worst, however, is definitively saved for last. ‘We Got The Power’, the album closer, is the most embarrassing song released by a band signed to a major label in the last five years."

and not even any rap on that one!! :lol:

Dekagamer7X9

Post by Dekagamer7X9 » 25 Apr 2017, 20:51

I heard that someone streamed the deluxe bonus tracks, and from what I've heard from people that were at the stream, the bonus tracks are a continuation of the album, and not just outtakes, meaning that the deluxe version is the actual complete album. I'm glad to hear that, since it was what I was hoping. The descriptions of the songs make them sound very interesting, though I don't really have an idea of how Circle Of Friendz sounds, since I heard 2 different descriptions of it. One person said it was a great closing track and was very reminiscent of Don't Get Lost In Heaven and Demon Days, and another said it was a terrible closing track that's repetitive and boring and sounds like a clone of Pirate Jet. I guess I'll see for myself on Thursday.

Dekagamer7X9

Post by Dekagamer7X9 » 25 Apr 2017, 20:57

While that Tone Deaf review makes some good points (albeit very, VERY few), it's still a terrible review that gives me the impression that the reviewer only listened to the album once.
Also, am I the only who hates how the term b-sides is constantly being misused in reference to Gorillaz? Gorillaz hasn't had b-sides since Demon Days. The term people are looking for is outtakes. B-sides and outtakes are not synonymous, because b-sides aren't always outtakes.

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 25 Apr 2017, 21:03

whats up with the vinyl version not having bonus tracks ? i mean, there are 2 vinyl version.... the deluxe is the standard tracklisting. you are really only paying for the art book, they should of thrown the bonus tracks on there... especially since they are meant to be "a continuation of the album" and not just outtakes makes it even more strange... of course i'll have the deluxe cd with the extra tracks as well but I like listening to albums on vinyl the best.
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

Dekagamer7X9

Post by Dekagamer7X9 » 25 Apr 2017, 21:37

metalhipslop wrote:whats up with the vinyl version not having bonus tracks ? i mean, there are 2 vinyl version.... the deluxe is the standard tracklisting. you are really only paying for the art book, they should of thrown the bonus tracks on there... especially since they are meant to be "a continuation of the album" and not just outtakes makes it even more strange... of course i'll have the deluxe cd with the extra tracks as well but I like listening to albums on vinyl the best.
Definitely agree. They could very well fit the bonus tracks on the album too; put the standard 20 tracks on the first 3 sides and the bonus tracks on side 4. I don't see why they can't include them, especially with how much they're charging for the deluxe and super deluxe vinyl versions.