GORILLAZ: Humanz Album Thread

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

rich

Re: GORILLAZ: Humanz Album Thread // 28th April

Post by rich » 24 Apr 2017, 18:09

Renny wrote:I am still resisting....still
me too - though it now seems me and the other half are going away early on Friday so I won't actually get my mits on the CD until Sunday when I'm back :(

Hopefully my special edition CD will arrive in the post at home on Friday or Saturday - and the vinyl/book is being posted to work so I'll get that on Tuesday after the bank holiday :) :(

the joys of pre-ordering :roll:
I put me trousers on, have a cup of tea, and think about leaving the house...
my gig videos https://vimeo.com/user19376405

Consigliere_11

Post by Consigliere_11 » 24 Apr 2017, 18:21

The Apprentice appeared in the iTunes Store - it is really nice, chill track.

I am a little hesitant judging the album still (and I haven't heard it a lot through and through), but my initial impression was a little sore - I didn't enjoy this record as much as I wanted to. Maybe it will grow on me, but right now it feels a bit repetitive and messy - and I can feel the little vocal presence Damon has here, compared to the other Gorillaz albums. It makes it look like a mixtape - which is not necessarily a bad thing, but something that makes me enjoy this album less.

And yeah, Charger turned out to be a disappointment - they could go anywhere with that riff, and they went exactly nowhere. Here is one track where I hoped the guest artist would play a bigger role - and it wasn't the case. :(
Last edited by Consigliere_11 on 24 Apr 2017, 18:23, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Mr. Okay (April 2015 - March 2016)

Dekagamer7X9

Post by Dekagamer7X9 » 24 Apr 2017, 18:21

Question for anyone who has the higher quality leak of Humanz: is Graham's guitar work more noticeable on Submission? Because on the vinyl rip leak that I've heard, the only guitar in the song that I can hear at all is right in the middle before Danny Brown's verse starts (and it's not very noticeable either. Had I not been actively listening for guitar, I probably wouldn't have heard it at all).

Dekagamer7X9

Post by Dekagamer7X9 » 24 Apr 2017, 18:22

Consigliere_11 wrote:The Apprentice appeared in the iTunes Store - it is really nice, chill track.

I am a little hesitant judging the album still (and I haven't heard it a lot through and through), but my initial impression was a little sore - I didn't enjoy this record as much as I wanted to. Maybe it will grow on me, but right now it feels a bit repetitive and messy - and I can feel the little vocal presence Damon has here, compared to the other Gorillaz albums. It makes it look like a mixtape - which is not necessarily a bad thing, but something that makes me enjoy this album less.
I agree 100%.

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 24 Apr 2017, 18:39

tom_cas1 wrote:According to Wikipedia, The Apprentice (with Rag'n'Bone Man) was released today as a single. I can't find it on iTunes or YouTube though. Anyone have a link?
https://youtu.be/LdPyYze2NIA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

rich

Post by rich » 24 Apr 2017, 18:42

Dekagamer7X9 wrote:Question for anyone who has the higher quality leak of Humanz: is Graham's guitar work more noticeable on Submission? Because on the vinyl rip leak that I've heard, the only guitar in the song that I can hear at all is right in the middle before Danny Brown's verse starts (and it's not very noticeable either. Had I not been actively listening for guitar, I probably wouldn't have heard it at all).
that's a shame - if you listen carefully through the crap sound on my Printworks video you can hear him doing quite a bit :) https://vimeo.com/210139319" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I put me trousers on, have a cup of tea, and think about leaving the house...
my gig videos https://vimeo.com/user19376405

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 24 Apr 2017, 18:43

I'm resisting too. Roll on Friday!

Dekagamer7X9

Post by Dekagamer7X9 » 24 Apr 2017, 18:57

rich wrote:
Dekagamer7X9 wrote:Question for anyone who has the higher quality leak of Humanz: is Graham's guitar work more noticeable on Submission? Because on the vinyl rip leak that I've heard, the only guitar in the song that I can hear at all is right in the middle before Danny Brown's verse starts (and it's not very noticeable either. Had I not been actively listening for guitar, I probably wouldn't have heard it at all).
that's a shame - if you listen carefully through the crap sound on my Printworks video you can hear him doing quite a bit :) https://vimeo.com/210139319" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oh yeah, I've heard that live version, and it made me excited to hear his guitar work on the studio version. But I unfortunately could barely hear him at all in the low quality leaked version I have.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 24 Apr 2017, 19:12

To those who aren't sure on the album yet - listen to it from start to finish without stopping. I've done that several times so far and it gets better and better each time. Humanz is SPECTACULAR as a whole album. Don't get me wrong, there are several examples of superb individual tracks, but listening to it from start to finish really hits the spot. It's a voyage, an adventure.

Just listened to The Apprentice too. Nice and laid back, a very enjoyable track. The chorus is absolutely sublime. Damon has hit this album out of the fucking park!
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 24 Apr 2017, 19:25

I've got Friday off. The phone will be turned off And I'll be playing the album over and over with a beer or two. I did the same with The Magic Whip. Looking forward to it finally hearing the album in full!

jonathas

Post by jonathas » 24 Apr 2017, 19:47

I really think the LP is beautifully considered and sequenced; it sounds like one long song to me, which evolves in all sorts of different directions - some of my favourite bits are the connecting parts - that mini-melody at the end of Moments which references the Kool Klown Klan has been stuck in my head for days. Whereas on recent records Damon has locked into the same mood and phrasing (which makes Everyday Robots, for one, such a one-paced LP) here he seems to have innovative melodies and hooks to spare - so much so that he can afford to move almost schizophrenically between them. Leaves SO MUCH to discover with repeated listens. Thus far it's an LP which is packed with BITS that I adore rather than a record where I have a few clear fave songs. In that respect it reminds me of the recent records by Blood Orange, Frank Ocean and Rihanna, all of which are almost mixtapes in their approach. I also love the interludes, which really surprised me. And Grace Jones just kills it on Charger, doesn't she?

Dazzled by it, frankly.

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 24 Apr 2017, 22:22

jonathas wrote:I really think the LP is beautifully considered and sequenced; it sounds like one long song to me, which evolves in all sorts of different directions - some of my favourite bits are the connecting parts - that mini-melody at the end of Moments which references the Kool Klown Klan has been stuck in my head for days. Whereas on recent records Damon has locked into the same mood and phrasing (which makes Everyday Robots, for one, such a one-paced LP) here he seems to have innovative melodies and hooks to spare - so much so that he can afford to move almost schizophrenically between them. Leaves SO MUCH to discover with repeated listens. Thus far it's an LP which is packed with BITS that I adore rather than a record where I have a few clear fave songs. In that respect it reminds me of the recent records by Blood Orange, Frank Ocean and Rihanna, all of which are almost mixtapes in their approach. I also love the interludes, which really surprised me. And Grace Jones just kills it on Charger, doesn't she?

Dazzled by it, frankly.
You capture a lot of feelings I have about the album. Really enjoyed reading your little review! And yes, Grace Jones does kill it. Charger is one of Damon's coolest songs of ALL time. I can't listen to it without getting my adrenaline pumping! :!:

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 25 Apr 2017, 00:55

jonathas wrote:I really think the LP is beautifully considered and sequenced; it sounds like one long song to me, which evolves in all sorts of different directions - some of my favourite bits are the connecting parts - that mini-melody at the end of Moments which references the Kool Klown Klan has been stuck in my head for days. Whereas on recent records Damon has locked into the same mood and phrasing (which makes Everyday Robots, for one, such a one-paced LP) here he seems to have innovative melodies and hooks to spare - so much so that he can afford to move almost schizophrenically between them. Leaves SO MUCH to discover with repeated listens. Thus far it's an LP which is packed with BITS that I adore rather than a record where I have a few clear fave songs. In that respect it reminds me of the recent records by Blood Orange, Frank Ocean and Rihanna, all of which are almost mixtapes in their approach. I also love the interludes, which really surprised me. And Grace Jones just kills it on Charger, doesn't she?

Dazzled by it, frankly.
She's probably my favourite guest artist on the whole album. She doesn't have a huge role but what she does do is absolutely exquisite. Really fits the song perfectly. I put her up there with Lou Reed with the best guest artists Gorillaz have had, and they've had some good ones!
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

munch

Post by munch » 25 Apr 2017, 01:15

just want to say i actually quite like carnival. it's growing on me bigly
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

munch

Post by munch » 25 Apr 2017, 01:21

oh new song from deluxe!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdPyYze2NIA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man