Attention Tweedo

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Mark72

Re: Attention Tweedo

Post by Mark72 » 19 Feb 2015, 17:26

Thanks Tweedo and Mr. Street also sorry for tweeting you this morning with a hurry up for your new solo release! Oops :oops:
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

Liese

Post by Liese » 19 Feb 2015, 21:57

I third this - congratulations, massive thanks and all that to you tweedz, and to the equally marvelous Mr Street (who used to post in the old place as well, IIRC...). Truly, truly appreciated -- I cannot believe we get to witness all this. :D

edit: also, like I said in another thread, lovely to see the lack of tweedled input in what damon called a "lur"-record was balanced out by this!

...and I wonder what William Orbit is making of these news :lol:
"I'm bizarrely a [...] lawyer, and that takes up every spare second of the day -- forever."

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 19 Feb 2015, 23:30

Liese wrote:...and I wonder what William Orbit is making of these news :lol:
That's a good question! :D glad to have Street back, but it would've been interesting to see Orbit take another crack at Blur's jam sessions!

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 20 Feb 2015, 01:43

If what happened last time is any sign, Orbit shouldn't get anywhere near these.
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

munch

Post by munch » 20 Feb 2015, 02:28

This has just turned into a thank you Tweedo thread :P

(Thank you) :ugeek:
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

beatfloh

Post by beatfloh » 20 Feb 2015, 18:56

Thank you Mister, so glad you took over

oohyehyeh

Post by oohyehyeh » 21 Feb 2015, 06:51

yes, thank you so much tweedo! you've made loads and loads of people happy these past couple of days :)

JAIME

Post by JAIME » 21 Feb 2015, 22:12

¡Gracias Gra! (thanks Gra!...not only for the the new album, but for the Blur 21 rarities too!)

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 25 Mar 2015, 21:24

Bloody brilliant Performance of the new album! Sounds fantastic! Roll on the 27th and see you in the summer!
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

He's So High

Post by He's So High » 25 Mar 2015, 21:30

Just amazing Graham!

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 25 Mar 2015, 21:32

Yup brilliant as ever, but thanks so much for going back to the material, how could it have ever been left!

Legless Owl

Post by Legless Owl » 25 Mar 2015, 22:35

Ok, so if this has turned into a big thank you thread, I might just as well join the fun! :D

I had one of the best times of my life on Friday thanks to you guys!

I couldn't believe my luck to be there and most of all, to end up just in front of you, Tweedz. I mean, watching you play from such a short distance was wonderful. I could barely take my eyes off your fingers. Also, the whole album is amazing! Thank you so much!

ps. I'm sorry again I bothered you at the end of the gig, I guess I couldn't have chosen a worst moment. The more I think about it, the more I feel bad about it. You must have thought I was some kind of weirdo. But if you ever wanted to know why that was so important to me, here's the story behind this drawing (it's a copy and paste from your forums):
Eleven days ago, I told my 5-year-old son (who also loves Blur and Graham solo songs, what a surprise… hehe) that it was Graham’s birthday. He said he wanted to draw something for him.

Then he handed up this drawing to me. He was very proud. “See, I’ve even drawn his nails (hmm… I think the 4-fingered hands are kinda creepy but never mind hehe). But I’ve drawn a bird with a butterfly’s head. He’s still gonna like my drawing, isn’t he? “. Yes, sure, I replied to reassure him. “So, when are you going to give it to him?”

It’s not easy to tell a little boy who just put all his heart and soul into a drawing that you don’t meet ‘celebrities’ at the supermarket or on your way to work. “You know, I’m not friends with Graham. I’ve never met him and I probably never will.” He was so disappointed that I offered to send his drawing to Graham through Internet but then again, I told him the chances were slim. “I promise you I’ll try my best”, I said. I tweeted the drawing to Graham and then my son kept asking me if he’d replied. “No, I’m sorry…” He was very sad and no one wants to see sadness in the eyes of their child.

On the same day, Blur announced their secret gig. I didn’t enter the ballot. Once again, chances were so few and I told myself that even if I won, I couldn’t make it to the gig, not with being informed less than 48 hours before: I’d have had to find someone to look after my son, arrange the trip from Lille (France) to London and my boss wouldn’t have let me take a day off at the last minute. But I kept daydreaming about that gig.

Two days later, I visited Graham’s forums and saw that the admin kindly offered four tickets to members of the message boards. I thought it over and over, and finally sent him a pm. I had seen his message a few minutes after he had posted it, but I had waited too long to pm him. “I only have one ticket left and as you can imagine a lot of people would like it. What I will do is put all the names in a hat and pick one tomorrow evening. “

I lost all hope. Again, the chances were so few…

I had to read the message three times on the following day.

"Oh what a surprise, your name has come out of the hat"

I was both very excited and very anxious but I finally managed to get everything sorted and on Friday morning, I was on my way to London after a sleepless night spent booking a hostel and all that.

Before leaving home, I remembered my son’s drawing and put it into an envelope which I placed in my bag. Just in case. At 6am, I wrote a letter to Graham. Just in case. I told him how much his songs meant to me and how much his music had helped me through hard times. I also told him about my son. About how he sang See no better day (his favourite) in English/french gibberish. And I told him about the drawing. Then I added my letter to the envelope. Just in case. But chances were so few…

On Friday evening, as I was on my way to the gig, the underground stopped at Baker Street station for several long minutes. I kept looking at my watch. I finally made it to Westbourne Park station but I lost myself and couldn’t find the venue. People kept giving me different directions. I texted S., who also got her ticket from the forum and who I was supposed to meet for the first time along with the other members, telling her I was lost.

"Hurry up! Get a taxi! We’re at the queue. Graham’s come out! x" she texted me back.

There was no taxi where I was. It was a very quiet area. So that was it. I had just probably lost the only chance to give Graham the envelope, but maybe I also wouldn’t even make it in time to the gig. I was devastated. I could feel the tears sting my eyes. Sure, there are much worse things in life but it seemed so unfair at this point.

That’s when I finally spotted it. The bridge someone had mentioned. Even if I was very nervous, I couldn’t help smiling while walking under the bridge: under the Westway. Yes, it actually was the Westway, just above my head. Chances were so few but maybe…

Right or left? My heart said left. I took a few steps. People queueing. Could it be…? “Heeeey!” Three girls waved at me. I understood they were the persons from the forums and that they had recognised me from a picture I had posted there. I joined them in the queue. I’m socially awkward and meeting new people terrifies me. It’s even worse when you don’t speak the same language. But they happened to be sweet and lovely people. Such a nice way to start the evening.

A bit later, we got our ‘door opener’, a black paper wristband, and we were finally allowed to enter the building.

We were among the first ones to enter and I couldn’t believe my luck when I ended up just in front of a microphone labelled “Graham Coxon Blur”.

What followed seemed so unreal. I was there, a few inches away from a person I have immense respect for. Someone whose talent and personality inspire me so much and, alright, I don’t like the term, but my ‘celebrity crush’, if I want to be completely honest. I was in front of Graham, listening to Blur delivering their new album live for the first time. New songs. Amazing songs. But other people would tell you better than me how brilliant that gig was.

"Thank you! Goodnight!" Damon tells the audience after a wonderful ‘encore’ (Trouble in the message centre).

Graham is leaving.

Graham is leaving and here I am, holding my envelope tightly in my hand. Maybe…

"Graham!" I tried.

He doesn’t hear.

"Graham!"

There is so much noise. This is useless. At least I’ve tried. But he is so close. So close…

I don’t know how I felt the courage to tap him on the shoulder but when he turned around and looked at me, expecting me to say something, there was no way back.

My heart was beating fast, so fast, and suddenly, I couldn’t even remember my name, let alone expressing myself in a foreign language! I mumbled a few things. He didn’t hear so he came closer to me. It certainly didn’t help me remember how to speak English.

I tried to say it was a drawing my son had made for him. I’m sure he didn’t understand a word of what I was saying but he finally said “Oh, ok, thanks!” and put the envelope into his pocket.

Yes, it was inappropriate to bother him like that at the end of the gig. He was probably exhausted and he must have found me quite weird, to say the least. For all I know, the envelope may have ended up in a bin the next minute.

But I have kept my word. I have given him the drawing and you should have seen my son today when I picked him up at my grandma’s and told him what'd happened. His face literally glowed. “Really?”

Really.

His smile was worth all the gold in the world.

I’ve always seen the glass half empty. My husband taking his life in 2012 made it even worse. But something changed on Friday. You can tell your son that something will probably never happen and see it happening a few days later.

Is it magic? I don’t know. But as slim as the chances may be, they do exist and…

"IT REALLY, REALLY, REALLY COULD HAPPEN…"

Who knows? Maybe ‘tomorrow is your lucky day…’ :)
I don't know if you even had a look at the drawing, nor do I know if you'll ever see this message, but never mind, you have made my son very happy (he keeps telling everyone that I gave his drawing to you :lol: ), and I have to thank you again for that, from the bottom of my heart.
Last edited by Legless Owl on 26 Mar 2015, 01:50, edited 1 time in total.

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 25 Mar 2015, 23:22

Oh my god Legless Owl that was a beautiful story :') I'm sure tweedz read it, hopefully he'll see this on here (or on his forum.) That's so great, I'm glad you got to experience it! What did your son think of your videos from the gig? I know this might sound strange, but you've become one of my favorites here! and on Graham's forum, whenever I get on. Just thought I'd mention that :)

anothermario

Post by anothermario » 26 Mar 2015, 00:33

wow^
great story LO
so happy for you! :') and your son
I can't wear that, stupid rain hat

goadamn

Post by goadamn » 26 Mar 2015, 02:26

Who wouldn't love a drawing of a bird with a butterfly head?
Sounds lovely!
=)