Wonder.land....Damon Albarn's New Project.

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

tom_cas1

Re: Wonder.land....Damon Albarn's New Project.

Post by tom_cas1 » 29 Jun 2015, 21:57

guidedbyvoices wrote:beautiful trailer, I would go to that play if I could........
Were we watching the same thing?!? The music was OK and OK at best, the trailer was kind of boring although I liked the face popping up. But...girl sat on swing...disappears...my interest has now disappeared also.

I hope I'm wrong because I've been looking forward to this since it was announced. I'll wait to hear the FULL album, if indeed they release one.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Sean

Post by Sean » 29 Jun 2015, 22:28

Fantastic.

I don't want to give anything away...so I won't talk about the show itself - other than to say it is bonkers, at times a glorious assault on the senses, quite surreal, funny at times and is a wonderful blend of old and new. It's really quite loosely based on Alice in Wonderland, but all of the key references are there.

Damon's music was perfect. There are moments of real beautiful melody...the music twists and turns all over the place, from bonkers incidental video game bleeps and beats, to woozy and wonky electronica and, mostly of course, classic and ornately arranged music hall. Gorgeous arrangements - with strings, banjo, flutes etc. I lost count of the amount of times my co-attendee and I looked at each and said "very Damon!" during certain moments. You'll hear it for yourself. He's managed to create what is essentially a classic musical score and interspersed it with modern sounds and interludes...and all the time it's very Damon and always very musical theatre. BRAVO DAMON!
Twitter: @shornKOOMINS

Sean

Post by Sean » 29 Jun 2015, 22:55

Also forgot to mention - not being a regular theatre goer I have no idea if this is the done thing - but the director Rufus Norris came on stage before it started to appeal for patience and generosity in the event of a fuck up or whatever, saying it was a tall order to get it ready, possible first night hiccups etc. I read somewhere Damon was immensely depressed and terrified about 3-4 days ago - which is mental - before having what he called "a breakthrough" the next day. It's mad how late these productions come together.

Anyway there were no fuck ups apart from one very very close and excruciating moment when one of the giant set features almost toppled over onto some of the cast. They just rescued it.

Sean

Post by Sean » 29 Jun 2015, 22:58

Damon was in attendance...

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 30 Jun 2015, 00:42

I love Damon
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

beatfloh

Post by beatfloh » 30 Jun 2015, 05:20

very happy to read that you enjoyed it Sean and very happy for Damon that it went well

He's So High

Post by He's So High » 30 Jun 2015, 09:09

Thanks for the report Sean - looking forward to it.

Sean

Post by Sean » 30 Jun 2015, 09:25

Damon on BBC Breakfast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlPSYz8cNII" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rosie

Post by Rosie » 30 Jun 2015, 14:03

Nice interview, thank-you! :-)

miko

Post by miko » 30 Jun 2015, 15:04

Sean wrote:Damon on BBC Breakfast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlPSYz8cNII" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Damon: "I've seen a lot of things 'in quotes' that weren't necassary" :lol:

gosh it sounds pretty good I really wanna see it now...

twostep

Post by twostep » 30 Jun 2015, 17:45

behind the scenes video thing
http://www.timeout.com/london/blog/excl ... onder-land" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
it's me, d4p

they would compare her to lilies, and she had to go to parties, and london was so dreary

daii

Post by daii » 03 Jul 2015, 00:27

wonder.land press night

that suit ♥

damon did a little acoustic set at the after party: hong kong, hostiles (he had to start the song twice :mrgreen:) and the universal.
Dave was there and transmited the whole thing on periscope. >> https://www.periscope.tv/w/aGWweDMzNTE0 ... HUoICx6g==" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 03 Jul 2015, 15:03

Can anyone rip the acoustic set? It's the first time The Universal's been played by Damon, isn't it?

daii

Post by daii » 03 Jul 2015, 15:16

the universal >> https://t.co/v83u5gBwh6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 03 Jul 2015, 16:49

daii wrote:the universal >> https://t.co/v83u5gBwh6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The audience indifference...it burns...
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners