Blur-related attractions in London?

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Wippet

Re: Blur-related attractions in London?

Post by Wippet » 16 Jul 2015, 10:32

Missy wrote:Hi,
I've been in London last September and I booked a room in Notting Hill.
I saw the outside of house that Damon shared with Justine (he wrote 13 on the roof of this house) in Notting Hill (maybe Kensington Park Road, I don't remember in this moment).
I went to the Dublin Castle (very nice in the evening, good live music!) and the Good Mixer (very little and rough!) and obviously to Portobello Road's Market.
The best thing was that, returning from Portobello Market to my hotel, for chance I met Damon when he was buying bread near his house (near my hotel).
I hasked for a photo and an autograph and he was very nice and he did both of them.
Then, he waved good bye and sayed that he had to go home for lunch and entered his home who was in front of us.
I'll not share his address because I don't think it's right, but maybe a lot of you already know it.
It was a very nice experience! ;)
tell us which road not the number though??

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 16 Jul 2015, 18:17

Wippet wrote:
Missy wrote:Hi,
I've been in London last September and I booked a room in Notting Hill.
I saw the outside of house that Damon shared with Justine (he wrote 13 on the roof of this house) in Notting Hill (maybe Kensington Park Road, I don't remember in this moment).
I went to the Dublin Castle (very nice in the evening, good live music!) and the Good Mixer (very little and rough!) and obviously to Portobello Road's Market.
The best thing was that, returning from Portobello Market to my hotel, for chance I met Damon when he was buying bread near his house (near my hotel).
I hasked for a photo and an autograph and he was very nice and he did both of them.
Then, he waved good bye and sayed that he had to go home for lunch and entered his home who was in front of us.
I'll not share his address because I don't think it's right, but maybe a lot of you already know it.
It was a very nice experience! ;)
tell us which road not the number though??
I always assumed it was Portobello Road

twostep

Post by twostep » 17 Jul 2015, 16:19

it's me, d4p

they would compare her to lilies, and she had to go to parties, and london was so dreary

Foggy

Post by Foggy » 18 Jul 2015, 07:33

I've been meaning to check out the area where Graham filmed his Ooh Yeah Yeah video - not because I'm a stalker - it just looks like an interesting part of London that I've never been to before. ;)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.52962 ... 312!8i6656" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
☰ ☱ ☲ ☳ ☴ ☵ ☶ ☷

twostep

Post by twostep » 18 Jul 2015, 09:28

No, this thread is cool! But people asking where Damon lives is pretty stalkerish.

The street from The Parklife video is always worth a visit - it's called River Way, near North Greenwich tube station. The driving parts were filmed around there too but the area is a lot more built up now than it was in '94.
it's me, d4p

they would compare her to lilies, and she had to go to parties, and london was so dreary

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 12 Oct 2015, 10:49

Went to Camden Sunday to look around as its been a while and had a look at some old sites from back in the day.

“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

mishmosh

Post by mishmosh » 12 Oct 2015, 17:22

Foggy wrote:I've been meaning to check out the area where Graham filmed his Ooh Yeah Yeah video - not because I'm a stalker - it just looks like an interesting part of London that I've never been to before. ;)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.52962 ... 312!8i6656" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
^ I swear that corner's featured in an advert on the telly at the moment .

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2950958" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Parklyyyyfe!

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 19 Feb 2019, 11:32

After seeing the Hyde Park Parklife bench in the "How Parklife came to be" thread, I thought I'd revive this old thread and share my list of "blur to-do's" and see if anyone had any new/updated thoughts. I've already been by Studio 13 a few times (lucked out with my airbnb, it was only a 2 minute walk away!), been down the Portobello Road, been to the Good Mixer, Trellick Tower, and Primrose Hill. There are probably a few obvious ones I'm missing.

• Portobello Road Market
• New Cross Gate (near Goldsmiths College)
• Camden Falcon (venue where blur were signed to Food after a gig)
• The Good Mixer
• Dublin Castle
• Mile End Stadium
• National Portrait Gallery (to see Julian Opie's portraits, which apparently aren't on display :( )
• Walthamstow Staidum (where Parklife was shot and released)
• Trellick Tower (seen in For Tomorrow, Kingdom of Doom, Tomorrow Comes Today, and Sleeping Powder)
• Damon’s childhood home in Leytonstone - 6 Fillebrook Rd.
• Primrose Hill
• Greenwich (where Parklife was shot) - article: https://853london.com/2014/08/09/blurs- ... -years-on/
• Studio 13
• The Beat Factory

Colchester:

• Ford Street (where Damon grew up)
• Stanway School
• Aldgam Parish Church
• The East Anglian Railway Museum

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 19 Feb 2019, 14:27

aldamasta wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 11:32
After seeing the Hyde Park Parklife bench in the "How Parklife came to be" thread, I thought I'd revive this old thread and share my list of "blur to-do's" and see if anyone had any new/updated thoughts. I've already been by Studio 13 a few times (lucked out with my airbnb, it was only a 2 minute walk away!), been down the Portobello Road, been to the Good Mixer, Trellick Tower, and Primrose Hill. There are probably a few obvious ones I'm missing.

• Portobello Road Market
• New Cross Gate (near Goldsmiths College)
• Camden Falcon (venue where blur were signed to Food after a gig)
• The Good Mixer
• Dublin Castle
• Mile End Stadium
• National Portrait Gallery (to see Julian Opie's portraits, which apparently aren't on display :( )
• Walthamstow Staidum (where Parklife was shot and released)
• Trellick Tower (seen in For Tomorrow, Kingdom of Doom, Tomorrow Comes Today, and Sleeping Powder)
• Damon’s childhood home in Leytonstone - 6 Fillebrook Rd.
• Primrose Hill
• Greenwich (where Parklife was shot) - article: https://853london.com/2014/08/09/blurs- ... -years-on/
• Studio 13
• The Beat Factory

Colchester:

• Ford Street (where Damon grew up)
• Stanway School
• Aldgam Parish Church
• The East Anglian Railway Museum
Brilliant list. I tend to go to London alot as I live in Oxfordshire. And always look round the old haunts from My youth.
Isn't the falcon long gone?
I highly recommend The Hawley Arms in Camden too.

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 21 Feb 2019, 16:29

Seeing as it's the 25th anniversary of parklife in April.
Here a comparison of the location of the video at Greenwich.
https://853london.com/2014/08/09/blurs- ... -years-on/
May have a wander in the summer.

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 21 Feb 2019, 20:19

I should be going round to Greenwich sometime in March and definitely plan on walking around the area Parklife was filmed in!

By the end of my semester in London I'm hoping to have a nice album of photos of all the blur stuff I've seen :)

Mark87uk

Post by Mark87uk » 21 Feb 2019, 21:06

There's quite a few blur posters dotted around the
Hawley arms, I think there's a signed photo with a little message from Graham in there

bushmonkey

Post by bushmonkey » 20 Jul 2020, 13:55

As an update, HMV Oxford Street has now closed down and Maison Rouge Studios has been demolished and the site is now flats.
On the slow boat to Lantau through misty seas...

Pavlich

Post by Pavlich » 21 Jul 2020, 04:21

bushmonkey wrote:
20 Jul 2020, 13:55
As an update, HMV Oxford Street has now closed down and Maison Rouge Studios has been demolished and the site is now flats.
Ah I'd forgotten about that; that's sad. Quite a few albums I really like were at least part-recorded there. From memory it seemed the go-to place to do vocals and overdubs during that whole 2000s indie rock thing?