Damon's musical [wonder.land early thread]

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

daii

Damon's musical [wonder.land early thread]

Post by daii » 27 Dec 2014, 00:49

Damon interview in The Sun today https://damondays.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/damon.pdf

“I’ve written a musical and it’s finished. When I say it’s finished, I mean that in a very loose sense of the word. Now it starts to go into workshops and rehearsals. We may find that come March or April that whole chunks of it are s**te and I’ve got to rewrite them.”
Damon’s not at liberty to reveal the title of his new work. (“I’d get into a lot of trouble if I told you what it is.”) However, he says: “I wouldn’t say it was as conventional sounding but it is in the tradition of things like Oliver! I loved Oliver! Who didn’t love Oliver! It’s f***ing genius.”
“I’ve put my heart and soul into it. I’ve enjoyed sitting in the studio enormously, acting out all the characters."

“I’ve had to change the key of some of the old Blur songs. I can’t sing a high falsetto but no one really notices or cares. I have a way more lived­in voice now... obviously because I’m an old git!”

"When I started writing songs, I was probably writing more on piano. Then I realised it was not working for me so I went to the guitar for many, many, many years. It’s only very recently that I’ve gone back to the piano. Literally in the last 18 months. It started with the Bobby Womack record. It was my job to play piano while he was singing and I haven’t left it. But it has left me with a real need to improve my posture and I’m trying my best by doing yoga.”

I'd like to see damon doing yoga XD

Edit: Moved this conversation from Everyday Robots tour thread. -Veikko

beatfloh

Re: Damon Albarn - Everyday Robots tour thread

Post by beatfloh » 29 Dec 2014, 19:58

^thanks for sharing

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 30 Dec 2014, 21:55

daii wrote:Damon interview in The Sun today https://damondays.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/damon.pdf

“I’ve written a musical and it’s finished. When I say it’s finished, I mean that in a very loose sense of the word. Now it starts to go into workshops and rehearsals. We may find that come March or April that whole chunks of it are s**te and I’ve got to rewrite them.”
Damon’s not at liberty to reveal the title of his new work. (“I’d get into a lot of trouble if I told you what it is.”) However, he says: “I wouldn’t say it was as conventional sounding but it is in the tradition of things like Oliver! I loved Oliver! Who didn’t love Oliver! It’s f***ing genius.”
“I’ve put my heart and soul into it. I’ve enjoyed sitting in the studio enormously, acting out all the characters."

“I’ve had to change the key of some of the old Blur songs. I can’t sing a high falsetto but no one really notices or cares. I have a way more lived­in voice now... obviously because I’m an old git!”

"When I started writing songs, I was probably writing more on piano. Then I realised it was not working for me so I went to the guitar for many, many, many years. It’s only very recently that I’ve gone back to the piano. Literally in the last 18 months. It started with the Bobby Womack record. It was my job to play piano while he was singing and I haven’t left it. But it has left me with a real need to improve my posture and I’m trying my best by doing yoga.”

I'd like to see damon doing yoga XD
can't help but not be excited for the musical. I mean, I bet it will be great but I don't think I will ever have the chance to see it... Just like Monkey and Dr Dee. unless it's bootleged. But Monkey and Dr Dee were never bootleged. Damon seems to be against putting stuff like this on DVD or CD unless it's recreated for that medium, like Dr Dee and Monkey were. Hey, if Damon does that with this musical, it might end up sounding like Gorillaz meets Cardiacs :lol:
And, I guess that Great Escape musical isn't happening... unless...
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

daii

Post by daii » 30 Dec 2014, 23:23

And, I guess that Great Escape musical isn't happening... unless...
a Great Escape musical could be brilliant lol. really, that album could be easily adapted for theatre

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 31 Dec 2014, 16:46

I'm getting very excited about this musical. I had the pleasure of seeing Dr. Dee in 2012 and it had an atmosphere unlike any performance I've been to. So weird yet interesting to have Damon in a corner with traditional English and African musicians playing Elizabethan-sounding music while you take in all the visuals on stage. So I have high hopes for his upcoming musical (Damon rarely disappoints IMO!) and will do ANYTHING to see it live! Hoping it's successful enough to put on a run in America so that I won't have to travel across the pond just for a musical :P

JordanPowers

Post by JordanPowers » 31 Dec 2014, 23:11

I'd love to find out what book the musical will be based on; what does everyone else here think is the book the musical's gonna be spun off of?
TripleJay97 wrote:
Westway wrote:this should be in the blur section
You should be off the Blur forum

101reykjavik

Re: Damon's musical

Post by 101reykjavik » 02 Jan 2015, 11:07

Didn't Damon say that it's based on a well known children's book?

daii

Post by daii » 02 Jan 2015, 14:12

I don't know if I've translated it wrong, but aparently there is two differents proyects:

"I am working on a big project for the National Theatre Company and one for the Manchester International Festival."
http://www.lesinrocks.com/2015/01/01/mu ... -11542269/

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 02 Jan 2015, 17:48

daii wrote:I don't know if I've translated it wrong, but aparently there is two differents proyects:

"I am working on a big project for the National Theatre Company and one for the Manchester International Festival."
http://www.lesinrocks.com/2015/01/01/mu ... -11542269/
Hmm... seems as if that's right. So which is the children's book musical going to be for? If either? And when will the other project(s) be released? This is all very interesting and exciting! I don't know how Damon does all that he does, he truly is the busiest man in music. I just hope he doesn't forget to record the new GBQ album (since it's been fully written for some time now, do you think he may already be in the process of recording it? We may be getting some news on that soon!) and the new Gorillaz album!

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 02 Jan 2015, 19:46

i can't think of what children's book it would be based on...
winnie the pooh? hahaha

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 02 Jan 2015, 21:35

All very interesting but someone hit the fast forward button so we can skip this musical and go straight to the new Gorillaz and TGTB&TQ albums. Basically, what we really want.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 03 Jan 2015, 07:17

2015 just started, and you want to fast forward to 2016?

JordanPowers

Post by JordanPowers » 03 Jan 2015, 07:21

Seriously, it's literally only a year away before a new Gorillaz album is released, dude...and it's even less time than that before we get new stuff from Gorillaz at all. We usually get some singles for new Gorillaz albums like, a year before they come out, so it's really not that far away until we hear more from Gorillaz at all.
TripleJay97 wrote:
Westway wrote:this should be in the blur section
You should be off the Blur forum

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 03 Jan 2015, 08:06

I know what you are saying... really.. I think we underestimate time. think of it - it seems like just yesterday we were all sitting on our asses just waiting and curious of the Damon solo albarn...... and now that album cycle is done...

but on the topic of the musical. i just really hope this is released to an album format like Dr Dee and Monkey Journey To The West were...
a musical by Damon Albarn from BLUR needs to be released on a cd. Blur made albums that were clearly influenced by Lionel Bart.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 03 Jan 2015, 15:57

Alright well let's hit the mute button then, but aim it only at Damon.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...