Damon on Band Aid 30:

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

JAIME

Damon on Band Aid 30:

Post by JAIME » 16 Nov 2014, 20:47

http://www.nme.com/news/damon-albarn/81125?amp&amp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Damon Albarn: "There are problems with our idea of charity".

Video: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10 ... =2&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tom_cas1

Re: Damon on Band Aid 30:

Post by tom_cas1 » 17 Nov 2014, 04:37

Can't stand the song or Geldof. Just donate money directly. Pointless bringing this song back to life with another group of z-list musicians that won't be remembered the next time Bob decides to do this all over again.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 17 Nov 2014, 05:56

The original song and concert were fantastic, but after that they should have been left alone. The last song was bad and this new song is just pathetic. Get a new song, get people from the country of Africa involved (he has vloggers but no one from Africa in this one wtf?) and instead of sending a check do something about it.

I must be getting old as I don't even know who half of these musicians in the new song are.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 17 Nov 2014, 07:01

Yes, I think I am getting old as well :( ;)

The original Band Aid/Live Aid was a great phenomenon, and quite original at the time.

But I think that while it did a lot for famine awareness, it also did a lot for the music industry. They used it as a huge promotional tool.

It was the catalyst for the globalised scene of today.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 17 Nov 2014, 19:33

it's all a bunch of crap. can't stand the idea and the smug celebrities
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

Miki

Post by Miki » 18 Nov 2014, 01:27

When the first Band Aid came out, it hadn't been done before. It was new. The two concerts were the first of their kind too. But it spun endless charity records and concerts and people take no notice any more.

And perhaps I am getting older too, but I am very cynical about the motivation that got the artists involved. Perhaps I'm too harsh, perhaps they really want to do "their bit", but I'm afraid this may have been motivated more by 'limelight opportunity' than charity.

We don't need another Do They Know It's Christmas! :x

Damon speaks a lot of sense. And well done for mentioning Medicins Sanse Frontieres and the wonderful "on the ground" job they do.
I've been drifting along in the same stale old shoes
Loose ends tyin' a noose in the back of my mind...

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 19 Nov 2014, 06:44

Miki wrote:but I am very cynical about the motivation that got the artists involved.

Perhaps I'm too harsh, perhaps they really want to do "their bit", but I'm afraid this may have been motivated more by 'limelight opportunity' than charity.
Yes, I agree. It could be a tool for boosting their profile.

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 19 Nov 2014, 07:27

Not knowing the Band Aid singles name when seeing this video of Damon's views on the whole thing, finally finding out it's called "Do They Know It's Christmas?"
I won't even bother listening to the song. Who wants to hear Bono smug with One Direction?? Especially when it's about raising awareness about Africa

in a more positive news, there's this which is quite good
http://pitchfork.com/news/57518-africa- ... ck-zinner/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

beatfloh

Post by beatfloh » 19 Nov 2014, 07:53

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJLqyux ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :D

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 19 Nov 2014, 13:49

Shame on geldof to name and shame Adele because she said no!

Good piece on the awful band aid 30 song...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... d-Aid.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 23 Nov 2014, 15:12

Mark72 wrote:Shame on geldof to name and shame Adele because she said no!

Good piece on the awful band aid 30 song...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... d-Aid.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I think it says it all that Adele had quietly made a donation to Oxfam, presumably unbeknown to the hectoring Geldof. A much more modest and down to earth approach to charity I'd say.

Miki

Post by Miki » 23 Nov 2014, 19:36

I see they changed that cringe-worthy line "Tonight thank God it's them instead of you". Shame that now Bono sings "Tonight we're reaching out and touching you." Creepy.
I've been drifting along in the same stale old shoes
Loose ends tyin' a noose in the back of my mind...

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 23 Nov 2014, 20:05

And now Emili Sande has revealed her reservations about the song:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/musi ... yrics.html

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 24 Nov 2014, 02:43

Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 24 Nov 2014, 07:20

Miki wrote:I see they changed that cringe-worthy line "Tonight thank God it's them instead of you". Shame that now Bono sings "Tonight we're reaching out and touching you." Creepy.
Yes, interesting points. "Tonight thank God it's them instead of you" sounds blunt now. But it was how people of previous generations spoke - people in the UK would be glad they were in their comfortable homes, and not suffering.

Nowadays it sounds too harsh, but has been replaced by this bland message of 'togetherness'.