Favourite Blur song

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Sean

Re: Favourite Blur song

Post by Sean » 02 Apr 2015, 13:09

Too difficult to choose one.

Never understood how anyone can rank music. People still ask me my favourite Beatles song. One song. As if anyone truly has one favourite. It's not possible. I have a shortlist (a long shortlist?) of about 40.
Twitter: @shornKOOMINS

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 02 Apr 2015, 13:12

Sean wrote:Too difficult to choose one.

Never understood how anyone can rank music. People still ask me my favourite Beatles song. One song. As if anyone truly has one favourite. It's not possible. I have a shortlist (a long shortlist?) of about 40.
It's fun to try, but you're absolutely right - ultimately a bit futile. Mine are likely to change from time to time anyway!

He's So High

Post by He's So High » 02 Apr 2015, 13:14

Hmm, I can only really narrow it down to a top 5:

The Universal
Beetlebum
End of a Century
For Tomorrow
Tender

He's So High

Post by He's So High » 02 Apr 2015, 13:15

Oh, and Out of Time.

And Coffee & TV.

Sean

Post by Sean » 02 Apr 2015, 13:19

Haha :lol:

JackS

Post by JackS » 02 Apr 2015, 14:57

My default answer is The Universal, and I don't want to give this question too much thought otherwise my head will hurt. :?

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 02 Apr 2015, 15:03

JackS wrote:My default answer is The Universal, and I don't want to give this question too much thought otherwise my head will hurt. :?
Yep. I made up my mind long ago that Tender is my favorite Blur song, and no matter how many other songs I fall in love with on a constant basis, that's never going to change.

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 02 Apr 2015, 15:31

Wear Me Down.
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

Sean

Post by Sean » 02 Apr 2015, 15:54

Rubi wrote:
JackS wrote:My default answer is The Universal, and I don't want to give this question too much thought otherwise my head will hurt. :?
Yep. I made up my mind long ago that Tender is my favorite Blur song, and no matter how many other songs I fall in love with on a constant basis, that's never going to change.
If I had a gun to my head and had to give an answer, it would be This is a Low. It's probably affected me more than any other song they've done, and my memories of seeing them play it live (about 30 times) are always incredible. I think in a nutshell that encapsulates everything great about Blur - amazing melancholy, beautiful melody, fantastic guitar playing throughout with an awe-inspiring solo to boot.

themanwholefthimself

Post by themanwholefthimself » 02 Apr 2015, 17:29

i agree with most of the replies here but i must say, the same question doesn't always apply to everything. Sometimes, the formula must change in order to get a similar result, i mean, it is probably easier to answer what would be the least favorite song of the Blur catalogue, instead of the favorite song. We're here because we're all Blur fans, and we like all or most of their songs.

We could easily answer what's our favorite song of any other band, except for our favorite band. There is a reason why this question is so hated and avoided, because it is just difficult to get an answer. We all have a favorite song, according to our state of mind or the memories the songs are connected to and it becomes difficult to choose a favorite among all of these.

Our global perspective plays an important role on choosing a favorite song, a well as our musical taste and the time we've had listening to a song, starting from Leisure until The Magic Whip. I love Sing so much but i also love Thought I Was A Spaceman, but Sing has been present during fond memories of my adolescence, while the sound of TIWAS makes me rejoice, in a similar way as This Is A Low played live, with Graham's solo bringing me to complete euphoria.

My play count of Resigned summed up on all devices, would reach nearly 7,000 times or more, just because i can't live without that song, but the song i die to listed live at least once, is All We Want.

....I know, such a long answer for a short question, but for me it's not that simple :oops: Thanks for reading though