Damon's interviews for Chilean and Argentinean media

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

JAIME

Damon's interviews for Chilean and Argentinean media

Post by JAIME » 06 Oct 2014, 15:45

Damon had these 3 interviews in the last 3 days, I hope you like it :P
I tried to translate only the main things, because it's "too much"(sorry for the mistakes in the translation):

Wiken magazine, part of El Mercurio newspaper, Chile (October 3rd).
http://impresa.elmercurio.com/Pages/New ... 06-10-2014 0:00:00&PaginaId=6&SupplementId=3&bodyid=0
http://impresa.elmercurio.com/Pages/New ... 06-10-2014 0:00:00&PaginaId=7&SupplementId=3&bodyid=0

"This gonna be my 2nd visit to SouthAmerica this year, yes! my 2nd visit in 1 year! This is not common for me. I went to Colombia for holidays. And I think it's good to me".

Then he talked about Hollow Ponds (it's about the heatwave in 1976 in Leytonstone, in that song it's the real sound of the George Tomlinson Primary School's playground, etc.).

Then he talked about Melancholy Hill.
He said that he played with "primitive" robots during his childhood, and he still loves marionettes(puppets).

Then he talked about Mr. Tembo. "In an overwhelmingly melancholic album like this one, this song was a way to bring some happiness…well, I don’t know, this song has its melancholy too, because Jumbo(the elephant) is orphan, his mother is a victim of the ivory trade when he’s still a baby elephant and it’s a miracle that he survived”.

Then he talked about Everyday robots. “I’m talking with you in a taxi behind Hyde Park…the tablets are extraordinary, for sure”.

Then he talked about Hostiles, which he wrote during Christmas when he played during hours videogame “The Dark Knight” with his daughter Missy.
“I’m not bad playing ping-pong (table-tennis) at all, not bad at all!”.

He talked about You & Me and the heroin: “It’s a little reference in this album, but it is important because it happened”.

He said that working with Brian Eno “was very important”, it was huge”.

At the end he talked about Sister Rust: “In a way, it’s a song for a filmstar”.

I don’t mind the negative critics”.

“I wrote Electric Fences in Perú” (October 2013).

“I had a good impression about Chile (November 2013). It’s a very beautiful place, lively, and I’m very happy to have had the opportunity to visit it and (having the opportunity) to visit it again. I think it’s a privilege to have that opportunity”. :P
Finally he said that the setlist for the SouthAmerican tour is not completely decided so far.

Rock & Pop radio, Chile (October 4th):
http://rockandpop.cl/2014/10/damon-alba ... sa-manera/

“I have a lot of fun everytime I visit SouthAmerica, I love that continent and everytime I go I try to know a little more about each country. There is a special spirit to which I’m very familiar with”.

“The way this album sounds has its origin in the combination of different people working in it…I love to work with other people. With The Heavy Seas I feel that we are a band, but at the same time I feel like I’m a “separate entity”, I play apart of them. But I’m part of The Heavy Seas, the band that I play with in this moment”.

Talking about “In jili, in jili” which sounds like “In Chile, in Chile”, Damon said: “It means that too hahahah!, it sounds similar really, right? In Chile, in jili, hehehe! :lol: I’m going to sing it in that way when I’ll play it in Chile, but the people must sing “In Chile in Chile” too, because we’ll be in Chile, you know..”

“I suppose that I do a lot of production. But I consider myself in first place a musician, and in 2nd place a singer, or maybe a musician in 1rst place and a solo artist in 2nd place, or a singer in 1rst place, etc. :? I don’t know…but the production gives you a very reassuring feeling”.

“It was wonderful to see him(Frank Hewetson, friend of Damon, from Greenpeace) again this summer…I can’t involve myself in this, but everytime that I can I truly believe that I can be a contributor”.

Talking about the situation in Syria: “I don’t know what a person like me could do about it, you know. I can’t do anything. I feel so sad, it’s a tragedy. If I could help I’ll do it, but I can’t. I feel so useless about this”.

“At home the latin music sounds everyday, “en mi casa” it’s very nice hahah”.
“I like Willy Colón :shock: :roll: (a caribbean musician), I’m not good doing lists” (of latin musicians, in this case).

“But at home we have a lot of music of other countries: Angola, Congo, etc.”.

“Sister Rust was inspired during a trip between Salt Lake City and Dallas, and a group of Jehova’s Witnesses came into the aircraft, and one of them was called Sister Rust…I consider myself very ambivalent regarding to the fanatism of any kind”.

Will you keep working with The Heavy Seas?: “I don’t know. It’s a good question. People seems to like it, so why not? At these moments I’m recording new material and it’ll be good to have a break to visit Argentina, Chile and Mexico. I wanted to play in Bogotá(Colombia) too, but this time it won’t be possible”.

Blur recorded new songs in Japan, what will be happen with those songs, will be released?: “In Hong Kong really, those song are being, are being…I can’t tell you anything about it, really”. :roll:

About Gorillaz visiting SouthAmerica: “I don’t know, why not? Anyway I want to do another record of Gorillaz, then, why not?”.

“I’d like to record music in Colombia and in Angola. I’d like to visit India, I’ve never been there. There’s a lot of things I want to do with so many good musicians…”

I’m doing a musical at these moments…I’m in the world of people like Lionel Bart, Oliver, that kind of things”.

“If you know someone to bring Dr. Dee to Chile it’ll be fantastic! I’d love it. It’ll be a great challenge”. :P
At the end Damon invited Francisco Tapia(the interviewer) to London to see the new musical and drinking some pints hehe. :mrgreen:

La Nación newspaper, Argentina (October 5th):
http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1732949-damo ... a-los-ojos

“People in London doesn’t look to the eyes of each others anymore” (he’s doing a comparison between the Londoners of the 90s and the Londoners of today). “Everybody’s looking down, their cellphones or whatever, in the streets, in the aircrafts, in the tube, in the supermarkets, etc”.

“Gorillaz was an excited reaction against what was going on in the pop music”.

“You don’t have to look at me as a rocker when I do something like this (a musical for children). I mean, when I was a child I participated in several musicals. I did “Oliver” (a musical of Lionel Bart), or things like “Guys & Dolls” and “Oh, what a lovely war”. When I was a child these had a significant effect on me. I have an important background on this kind of music since my school years. In fact, somehow, my interest in rock, not in pop, had a lot to do with that, with the English music-hall, the French song and all that. In a way I don’t see myself like an artist of rocker heritage, there’s something before that, that was present in me before my youth”.
“All those influences are in my songs. The folk music, the music-hall, the jazz, Coltrane, The Beatles 8-) , The Who, the African music. In Blur, I was probably the “more Beatles” of them all :roll: , but for Graham The Who were the main influence. And both of us loved The Jam. I think that always we were related to The Beatles, but my way of thinking was more related with Ray Davies. In those years I tried to think like a combination of both (The Beatles and The Kinks).

“The 1rst time I knew something related to the punk music was in the Primary School. Those were things for older people, and to be honest, I felt myself a bit scared. I was a curious boy, I had 7 or 8 years old, and I was interested in what it meant, but it terrified me. Johnny Rotten terrified me!”

“The Clash had a some sort of sense about the English social drama, the punk aswell, which was totally captivating. In their songs there was a presence of the social themes and the masses of that moment, it became in the soundtrack of those days. If I look back to those era, what I was looking for in the music was that, to have a correlation between the events and the daily life experience. And what I still look for in the music in these days is that, everyday”.
Last edited by JAIME on 06 Oct 2014, 16:12, edited 1 time in total.

UnderThePuritan

Re: Damon's interviews for Chilean and Argentinean media

Post by UnderThePuritan » 06 Oct 2014, 16:02

Thanks for this Jaime :) Good read!

JAIME

Post by JAIME » 06 Oct 2014, 16:07

UnderThePuritan wrote:Thanks for this Jaime :) Good read!
You're welcome. ;)

Cheers!

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 06 Oct 2014, 20:15

So he can't tell us anything about Hong Kong. Ambiguous as ever.

Thanks for the info Jaime.

Simon le bon

Post by Simon le bon » 07 Oct 2014, 16:58

Thanks for the good work, it was a nice read

Liese

Post by Liese » 09 Oct 2014, 10:33

Well, I'll settle to the fact that the Hong Kong sessions have been buried where the infamous post-TT EP lies...

I am not even sure if I would dare to listen to it, should any of this surface one day for mysterious reasons. Part of me would be dying to hear, part of me would feel like I'd break a taboo spell cast over it (by some demon, er, Damon) that will make me lose my love for blur forever... ;) (only slightly joking...)
"I'm bizarrely a [...] lawyer, and that takes up every spare second of the day -- forever."

JAIME

Post by JAIME » 10 Oct 2014, 14:07

JAIME wrote:Rock & Pop radio, Chile (October 4th):
http://rockandpop.cl/2014/10/damon-alba ... sa-manera/
Audio of that interview:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJUCO6dkKGs

Daysleeper

Post by Daysleeper » 10 Oct 2014, 22:04

I'm not getting any kind of hopes up, but when you listen to the interview, to me it sounds like something is happening with the Blur songs, but he really doesn't want to say as he doesn't want the backlash if nothing happens.

Anyone else get that impression?

daii

Post by daii » 10 Oct 2014, 22:16

interview from "la tercera",

"It would have been easy to write Blur songs for years,It's what people want to hear. But it was not my plan. I looked for younger musicians, with more energy, and tried to make music to be able of enjoy right now. It's a very funky band, but also very musical, which allows me to cover all my projects: from Blur and Gorillaz to The Good, the Bad & the Queen"

- The album, and its title, are also very critical of the current technology. As a musician, how is your relationship with social networks and streaming services?

"I am very incredulous. They can change my way of reaching people, but they will not change my music. I prefer to keep attached to reality. The problem is that today's teens are not glued to reality. They are neurologically damaged and nearly divide their attention elsewhere. They don't have the degree of attention to the music that there was before. I guess it is a transition ... I do not know where."

"—What's the current Blur status?
—I don't know, go check what's Blur's Facebook status (laughs) who knows, everything can happen."

http://www.latercera.com/noticia/entret ... plan.shtml

Daysleeper

Post by Daysleeper » 11 Oct 2014, 06:43

Mmm, that facebook comment makes me think even more that something is happening!

JAIME

Post by JAIME » 11 Oct 2014, 23:46

Daysleeper wrote:when you listen to the interview, to me it sounds like something is happening with the Blur songs, but he really doesn't want to say as he doesn't want the backlash if nothing happens.

Anyone else get that impression?
I had the same impression when I heard that interview the last week.

bugman

Post by bugman » 12 Oct 2014, 01:39

yeah. big news. BLUR IS OVER or I REALLY DONT KNOW WHAT HAPPEND, BUT WE WANT MAKE 13 GREATIST HITS TOUR LIKE LAST YEAR

BOOOOORING