Tender joins the Platinum club

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

idreamofpikas

Tender joins the Platinum club

Post by idreamofpikas » 15 May 2022, 01:27

https://www.bpi.co.uk/brit-certified/

Tender has joined Song 2, Parklife and Country House as Platinum selling singles in the UK.

In other news Blur's Youtube channel has hit landmarks

https://imgur.com/a/v4R6kVC

Since Blur deleted their videos from the Parlophone Youtube page there has been a pretty significant increase in views and subs (even before the Song 2 alt video), For as much shit as the management team get, they've corrected a major problem.

John_d

Re: Tender joins the Platinum club

Post by John_d » 16 May 2022, 11:36

Fantastic info as ever. Thank you. Why were the Blur videos ever permitted to be on a non-band page? You would think Blur would get a Gorillaz-related online advantage (as in, management needs to know how to operate online in 2022 for Gorillaz). Do completely separate people work on each?

Has the Gorillaz tour had an impact on their streaming numbers? You would think playing to, and thoroughly entertaining, thousands of people per night would give you an advantage over acts that never tour. But perhaps not.

ps I see Satunrz Barz is back in the Gorillaz setlist. But Humility and DARE are still out. Does that surprise you? For DARE, it can't just be a Shaun Ryder issue as they are performing plenty of songs (including, indeed, Saturnz Barz) without the main contributor being present.

idreamofpikas

Post by idreamofpikas » 16 May 2022, 17:08

John_d wrote:
16 May 2022, 11:36
Fantastic info as ever. Thank you. Why were the Blur videos ever permitted to be on a non-band page? You would think Blur would get a Gorillaz-related online advantage (as in, management needs to know how to operate online in 2022 for Gorillaz).
It was on the Parlophone page, like a few Gorillaz videos, Lilly Allen and even a single Robert Palmer video :lol:

https://socialblade.com/youtube/channel ... YV1x9c3LVA

Blur would still be getting revenue for it, so their management or the band themselves did not think too much was wrong. But obviously having all the Blur videos on the one page has increased both subs and viewers so better later than never.

I only know this from being terminally online, it is not shocking that Blur were not aware of this or simply don't care. Bands probably only notice when the money stops coming in.

John_d wrote:
Do completely separate people work on each?
I'd hope so. Obviously Parlophone run their own channel, but I'd hope Blur were not paying them to run theirs as well considering the lack of effort put in
John_d wrote:
Has the Gorillaz tour had an impact on their streaming numbers?
Spotify's increased its unique monthly listeners by about 300k since the tour began. I don't know about streams, but unique listeners has increased.

Youtube had dropped to 1.6 streams a day before the tour and is now back to doing around almost 2 million a day. But that will also be down to the new commentary videos released for the all the big singles.

John_d wrote:
You would think playing to, and thoroughly entertaining, thousands of people per night would give you an advantage over acts that never tour. But perhaps not.
It certainly does. Noel Gallagher was gloating over the fact that Liam's recent tour, new single and headlines boosted his own pocket by Oasis' numbers increasing.

John_d wrote:
ps I see Satunrz Barz is back in the Gorillaz setlist. But Humility and DARE are still out. Does that surprise you? For DARE, it can't just be a Shaun Ryder issue as they are performing plenty of songs (including, indeed, Saturnz Barz) without the main contributor being present.
Pretty sure Shaun will be on tour for some european nights so will return then. Humility might make the North American tour.

My feel is still that Gorillaz, like Blur, have a strong catalogue that can afford to drop recognizable hits and still survive. Some countries venues may get special numbers and with the new album/phase dropping soon we are likely to get more new songs added. Plus with Earthgang announced as the supporting act for the North American leg of the tour Opium seems destined to be part of the setlist.

John_d

Post by John_d » 17 May 2022, 08:16

Thanks again for the all the info. I see Fatoumata Diawara is on boar for the US dates in the autumn. I think "desole" is the most popular Song Machine song.

idreamofpikas

Post by idreamofpikas » 22 May 2022, 05:55

And a week later Song 2 gets double Platinum status, making it the best selling Blur song in the UK and second only to Feel Good Inc in the UK for Damon.

My guess is that the next landmarks will be Girls and Boys getting Platinum status or Beetlebum going Gold.

thespider

Post by thespider » 23 May 2022, 14:59

As others have said, it can't be a coincidence that this and Tender has happened just after their Youtube channel has been re-organised and re-published.

Double platinum is a pretty massive achievement. To put it into perspective, that's the same certification as the biggest selling Michael Jackson single.

John_d

Post by John_d » 23 May 2022, 17:22

I'm a wedding DJ, and Common People into Song 2 sends dancefloors crazy. Nothing guitar-band wise from the next few decades carries the same impact. Perhaps Mr Brightside, if played very late in the evening. (Just out of curiosity, I tried to throw in DARE during that section of the evening. I hadn't played it in years. It fell fairly flat. I won't be gambling with it again :lol: )

Feel Good Inc was a massive achievement and a true global hit to rival Song 2, 8 years on. I was on holiday in Shanghai, Beijing and Hong Kong in August 2005 and heard it regularly.

jonathas

Post by jonathas » 25 May 2022, 14:26

That's interesting! You have me trying to work out what else would go down well in a wedding DJ set now. Last Nite by Strokes? 7 Nation Army?

stephen

Post by stephen » 25 May 2022, 14:38

John_d wrote:
23 May 2022, 17:22
I tried to throw in DARE during that section of the evening. I hadn't played it in years. It fell fairly flat. I won't be gambling with it again :lol: )
yeah I noticed that recently that DARE is a lot slower than I remembered.

John_d

Post by John_d » 26 May 2022, 08:48

stephen wrote:
25 May 2022, 14:38
John_d wrote:
23 May 2022, 17:22
I tried to throw in DARE during that section of the evening. I hadn't played it in years. It fell fairly flat. I won't be gambling with it again :lol: )
yeah I noticed that recently that DARE is a lot slower than I remembered.
I used to speed it up. I sped it up on Saturday. I think back in the day it was always sped up a bit by DJs.

John_d

Post by John_d » 26 May 2022, 08:49

jonathas wrote:
25 May 2022, 14:26
That's interesting! You have me trying to work out what else would go down well in a wedding DJ set now. Last Nite by Strokes? 7 Nation Army?
Last Nite is a definite winner. 7 Nation Army is less predictable. I don't play it that often. It takes a long time to build. Noticeable when you are watching a dancefloor.

JackS

Post by JackS » 26 May 2022, 10:11

I've been choosing a longlist of song suggestions for the DJ for my upcoming wedding. Been having to remind myself that not everyone loves Damon Albarn as much as I do. Girls & Boys, Feel Good Inc and Song 2 will have to do!

jonathas

Post by jonathas » 26 May 2022, 11:22

Yes, me too - we were actually supposed to get married during the lockdown, so we never managed it, but I spent absolutely ages making a wedding playlist which I was convinced was gonna knock everyone's socks off. My lovely girflfriend took a listen and quickly rejected it, concluding for some reason that people wouldn't want to hear a load of Blur b-sides, obscure Dylan cuts and the most abrasive segments of the Fall's back catalogue. She was certainly right, in retrospect.