Blur Covers

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

idreamofpikas

Re: Blur Covers

Post by idreamofpikas » 25 Oct 2021, 06:16

Just listened to your cover of Three Changes, fantastic. Captures it brilliantly.

TristramShandy

Post by TristramShandy » 25 Oct 2021, 10:02

Really nice work! I understood a few tricks I had missing on some of the guitar parts by watching your playing. :)

May I ask: how do you manage to isolate tracks (from time to time) on your playbacks? To the best of my knowledge, no stems are available for Blur songs (except for Song 2)... Well, if there are some out there, it would be Holy Grail for me!

essex-dogs

Post by essex-dogs » 25 Oct 2021, 22:06

idreamofpikas wrote:
25 Oct 2021, 06:16
Just listened to your cover of Three Changes, fantastic. Captures it brilliantly.
Hey thanks a lot! That was a simple one I recorded with my friend Liny. We released that on March 23rd 2020 to celebrate Damon's birthday. :)
TristramShandy wrote:
25 Oct 2021, 10:02
Really nice work! I understood a few tricks I had missing on some of the guitar parts by watching your playing. :)

May I ask: how do you manage to isolate tracks (from time to time) on your playbacks? To the best of my knowledge, no stems are available for Blur songs (except for Song 2)... Well, if there are some out there, it would be Holy Grail for me!
It's no problem, I'm getting this question a lot! Well, they are not online, I prepare the backing track myself. And yes, I use the tracks from the original songs obviously. Since I record guitar covers (at least for now - I have plans to start recording bass covers as well very soon) I normally leave only drums, bass and vocals in the backing tracks. AI is really good nowadays and there are a few options to do it. There's a website called https://moises.ai/ which you can try it for free. You have to create an account and you have something like 5 free tracks to do that every month (you can't download them though). Of course you can purchase a premium account and that would be unlimited, it's not even that expensive.

However, for the backing tracks, I use a plugin called iZotope RX 8, it has an option called "Music rebalance" where you can do the same thing. It's also paid but it's more worth it for me than moises.ai because I work with music engineering and I can do everything inside Pro Tools, it's way faster.

It's important to notice that these backing tracks are not perfect. Although AI is very good today, it's far from perfect. If you get to isolate each track individually, you'll realize it looses quality and there's a good chance of leaking from other instruments. Of course it'll depend on the original track and how clear the mix is. Some songs work wonderfully, I'm currently recording a cover of "Caravan" and it isolates things perfectly. As I use it to record guitar covers, I'm able to produce it with some mixing techniques and then add my guitar tracks, which of course is the element I want to focus on in my videos. There's a problem I often face though. The AI will separare your song into 4 tracks: drums, bass, vox and others. That's why sometimes I need to record a few piano/synth parts in my videos as well. But overall, it's a fantastic tool! If you get the chance to play with it, go for it!

essex-dogs

Post by essex-dogs » 25 Oct 2021, 22:08

By the way here's a new video for "Chinese Bombs" I've just premiered!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W28gNC1r1PU

And look forward to Magic America this week :)

TristramShandy

Post by TristramShandy » 26 Oct 2021, 17:19

Thanks for your indications regarding AI tools. I'll check them!
Back in the days I transcribed the whole of The Spinning Top, I used similar algorithms for source separation, but I guess they were a bit limited compared to what software can achieve nowadays --- also due to the fact that I partially coded the thing myself... Results were randomly satisfying, and overall it took ages.

stephen

Post by stephen » 27 Oct 2021, 09:19

essex-dogs wrote:
25 Oct 2021, 22:08
By the way here's a new video for "Chinese Bombs" I've just premiered!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W28gNC1r1PU

And look forward to Magic America this week :)
These are really good, have you thought about doing trailerpark? You can hear the riff better on the live versions https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNNsbxfHJow

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 28 Oct 2021, 18:08

Just listened to some of your covers, and damn! You kill it! I am especially keen on your Country Sad cover. Some of my favorite Graham guitar work. Keep 'em comin! They're a pleasure to watch.

essex-dogs

Post by essex-dogs » 29 Oct 2021, 03:26

Hi everyone, thanks a lot for checking my covers out, I feel very welcomed :D It's nice and weird to talk to people I've seen commenting on this forum countless times throughout the years, I know you guys are die-hard fans just like me so I had to post the videos here as well. I'm glad you've been enjoying the content and I intend to keep posting as often as I can (yeah Trailerpark is definitely coming!). I have some free time now and I've been recording a lot (literally dozens of songs since I've started), it's been really good for me to get in touch with playing the guitar again and I couldn't have chosen anything other than Blur songs I've been listening to since I was a 10 year old. On a different note, I hope this isn't too much, I promise I'll mention it only once and never again: if you are interested, I also have an Instagram profile (@blurcovers) where I try to post daily. There are lots of snippets too, so far I've already posted Yuko and Hiro, It Could Be You, Wear Me Down and many others.

And finally, here's "Magic America".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-89G0g-FHR8

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 29 Oct 2021, 12:20

essex-dogs wrote:
29 Oct 2021, 03:26
Hi everyone, thanks a lot for checking my covers out, I feel very welcomed :D It's nice and weird to talk to people I've seen commenting on this forum countless times throughout the years, I know you guys are die-hard fans just like me so I had to post the videos here as well. I'm glad you've been enjoying the content and I intend to keep posting as often as I can (yeah Trailerpark is definitely coming!). I have some free time now and I've been recording a lot (literally dozens of songs since I've started), it's been really good for me to get in touch with playing the guitar again and I couldn't have chosen anything other than Blur songs I've been listening to since I was a 10 year old. On a different note, I hope this isn't too much, I promise I'll mention it only once and never again: if you are interested, I also have an Instagram profile (@blurcovers) where I try to post daily. There are lots of snippets too, so far I've already posted Yuko and Hiro, It Could Be You, Wear Me Down and many others.

And finally, here's "Magic America".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-89G0g-FHR8
Loving your covers, but I think Magic America is my favourite, i play guitar and only sound this good in my own head 🤣 keep it up 👍

TristramShandy

Post by TristramShandy » 29 Oct 2021, 19:44

Agreed, your versions of Country Sad Ballad Man and Magic America are just astonishing. Gosh, you must have spent hours studying the track or videos to get it perfectly right! :o

essex-dogs

Post by essex-dogs » 31 Oct 2021, 14:09

northernmonkey wrote:
29 Oct 2021, 12:20
Loving your covers, but I think Magic America is my favourite, i play guitar and only sound this good in my own head 🤣 keep it up 👍
TristramShandy wrote:
29 Oct 2021, 19:44
Agreed, your versions of Country Sad Ballad Man and Magic America are just astonishing. Gosh, you must have spent hours studying the track or videos to get it perfectly right! :o
Thanks a lot you both! I might have spent some time but not at once I believe. I've been playing these songs for over 15 years now so I am more than halfway through learning them. Depending on the song I just need to figure a few things out before recording but overall it's not draining as it may look. It's actually quick and fun, I record about 2-3 songs every day.

This is a new cover I've just uploded: Advert.
https://youtu.be/wpW5n6m8mTE

Let me know your thoughts and look forward to "It Could Be You" this week! :D

TristramShandy

Post by TristramShandy » 01 Nov 2021, 07:59

Not bad for Advert!
If I may correct something: on the intro, Graham actually plays the repeated A's on the open string, and fiddles with the tuning of the string using his free left hand (!) That's why you hear the note going in and out of tune on the recording. I saw that on a recent YouTube video, the one with the complete breakdown of Modern Life Is Rubbish.

essex-dogs

Post by essex-dogs » 01 Nov 2021, 17:24

TristramShandy wrote:
01 Nov 2021, 07:59
Not bad for Advert!
If I may correct something: on the intro, Graham actually plays the repeated A's on the open string, and fiddles with the tuning of the string using his free left hand (!) That's why you hear the note going in and out of tune on the recording. I saw that on a recent YouTube video, the one with the complete breakdown of Modern Life Is Rubbish.
Hey thanks for letting me know! I remember watching the whole thing as I'm a big fan of "Produce Like a Pro" too! I'll give it a look later again.

But I must say that one of my main challenges specially with tracks like "Advert" is which version to follow. Perhaps Graham does that in the studio version but I did use their Rocklife performance (even the 1-16 counting with flanger, that I don't believe is part of the studio version either) as reference, you can check https://youtu.be/5awyc4VvaEM it is pretty clear from 52:48 - 53:00 (specially 58:57). When I say "tracks like Advert" I mean fast and repetitive songs that might lead Graham to play differently throughout the years. But I did want to use an early performance as I figured that if Graham was going to play it differently, it'd probably later versions. Anyway that's an excellent catch, I'll keep that in mind for the next times I play the song, it makes a lot of sense. Graham was a crazy dude back in the day and doing the open A string trick has "Graham Coxon" all over its face :lol:

jonathas

Post by jonathas » 02 Nov 2021, 09:15

Fancy a challenge? Would love to hear you have a go at Essex Dogs :)

essex-dogs

Post by essex-dogs » 03 Nov 2021, 19:24

Hi everyone. This is "It Could Be You"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spwcjsbFMCc
jonathas wrote:
02 Nov 2021, 09:15
Fancy a challenge? Would love to hear you have a go at Essex Dogs :)
Absolutely! I'm working on it as we speak, I even posted a bit on my Instagram. Look forward to it, I'll upload Essex Dogs next week perhaps, if not sooner!