Blur and Record Store Day

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Vern

Blur and Record Store Day

Post by Vern » 07 Apr 2021, 20:10

It really sours me that since Record Store Day started there's only been one Blur release. There is so so much that the label could be releasing and it is perplexing that year after year Blur doesn't appear on the list. What the hell is going on and what could the reason be?

In the meantime you've got heaps of other Britpop bands over the years releasing a bunch of stuff each year. But Blur? No. It continues to be an impossibility.

idreamofpikas

Re: Blur and Record Store Day

Post by idreamofpikas » 08 Apr 2021, 00:05

I put it down to successful careers, in music or outside of it. They are not as reliant as other Britpop bands to remind people of who they are. Plus Blur still pull in a decent amount of money via streaming while other artists are more in need to advertise their material. To put this into perspective Blur, still average 7 million unique monthly listeners, Suede 700k.

Damon and Graham are both pretty busy musically with Gorillaz/soloprojects and Graham's soundtrack work or various collaborations. Alex has a renowned (I'm not sure of how successful it is) business in the UK and Dave is working passion projects in politics. All four seem to be pretty busy.

I do agree though that the Blur legacy is being a little mismanaged and there should be more releases to invigorate it to potential new fans or just bring back casual listeners who may have forgotten them. A b-sides album, a new Greatest hits or even other releases from the vault is a great idea to boost them.

Vern

Post by Vern » 08 Apr 2021, 09:47

idreamofpikas wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 00:05
I do agree though that the Blur legacy is being a little mismanaged and there should be more releases to invigorate it to potential new fans or just bring back casual listeners who may have forgotten them. A b-sides album, a new Greatest hits or even other releases from the vault is a great idea to boost them.
100%!

stephen

Post by stephen » 08 Apr 2021, 10:07

You'd imagine even with the release of 21 that there's plenty of material they could pull out

There's still think tank session tracks that have never been given the light of day that I'm desperate to hear

:(

Vern

Post by Vern » 08 Apr 2021, 11:51

- First time vinyl reissue of the Budokan live album
- B-sides compilation
- BBC sessions compilation
- ‘Lost’ 7” single for Never Clever
- A new live album
- Demos

The list goes on.

Someone at their label is neglecting them...

TristramShandy

Post by TristramShandy » 08 Apr 2021, 12:15

stephen wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 10:07
There's still think tank session tracks that have never been given the light of day that I'm desperate to hear
Hm, they did publish Nutter, Piano and Avoid The Traffic... If you consider those were amongst the best of what they could find left in the Think Tank sessions, well... :roll:

stephen

Post by stephen » 08 Apr 2021, 14:24

TristramShandy wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 12:15
stephen wrote:
Hm, they did publish Nutter, Piano and Avoid The Traffic... If you consider those were amongst the best of what they could find left in the Think Tank sessions, well... :roll:
I don't believe they were part of the think tank sessions?

I'm talking about some of the missing tracks that were featured on Colours and also they regularly bragged they had 40+ songs for Think Tank (some multiple versions of the same track like Money Makes Me Crazy had 7 versions? for example). I think Saturday is one that we've never heard. Damon was quoted saying that he thought there was a big radio hit song but they chose not to include it. May or may not because of the songs they picked for the album were because they wanted to go on tour and I think that was the decision making of why some songs were picked and some weren't. Maybe Saturday was this radio hit but maybe not, maybe it's just a song / arrangement that they couldn't perform live. If you look at the quality of some of the B-Sides and fan club singles that came out at that time, it's hard to imagine why they didn't make that particular album (outsiders and some glad morning spring to mind). I'm just speculating but I think there's still a bunch of unheard material around those sessions, maybe the band don't want to bring them up due to personal reasons which is completely reasonable

http://vblurpage.com/info/songlist/unreleased.htm

http://www.vblurpage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3279

Vern

Post by Vern » 08 Apr 2021, 15:10

Good point Stephen. That’s another one for the list. A comp of fan club releases.

JackS

Post by JackS » 08 Apr 2021, 16:32

stephen wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 14:24
TristramShandy wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 12:15
stephen wrote:
I don't believe they were part of the think tank sessions?

I'm talking about some of the missing tracks that were featured on Colours and also they regularly bragged they had 40+ songs for Think Tank (some multiple versions of the same track like Money Makes Me Crazy had 7 versions? for example). I think Saturday is one that we've never heard. Damon was quoted saying that he thought there was a big radio hit song but they chose not to include it. May or may not because of the songs they picked for the album were because they wanted to go on tour and I think that was the decision making of why some songs were picked and some weren't. Maybe Saturday was this radio hit but maybe not, maybe it's just a song / arrangement that they couldn't perform live. If you look at the quality of some of the B-Sides and fan club singles that came out at that time, it's hard to imagine why they didn't make that particular album (outsiders and some glad morning spring to mind). I'm just speculating but I think there's still a bunch of unheard material around those sessions, maybe the band don't want to bring them up due to personal reasons which is completely reasonable

http://vblurpage.com/info/songlist/unreleased.htm

http://www.vblurpage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3279
There was some speculation that Saturday and Some Glad Morning were the same song. Not sure that was ever proven however

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 08 Apr 2021, 20:30

Vern wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 11:51
I’d want that if it were ever released.

To me it’s to be a fan of a band that doesn’t put out a lot of rereleases or special editions of things that fans already have. I’ve shelled out more money than I want to think about on rereleases and things that I already have had on Beatles and Paul McCartney. I’ve finally learned not to buy everything.

Moritz

Post by Moritz » 08 Apr 2021, 22:35

MsMagicAmerica wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 20:30
Vern wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 11:51
I’d want that if it were ever released.

To me it’s to be a fan of a band that doesn’t put out a lot of rereleases or special editions of things that fans already have. I’ve shelled out more money than I want to think about on rereleases and things that I already have had on Beatles and Paul McCartney. I’ve finally learned not to buy everything.

I totally agree with you. Record Store Day always seemed to be a bit of a sell out of limited but not spectacular vinyl items. A lot of stores in my area even did not took part in the event.

Something like a Blur Bootleg series would be great. I bet that there must be more live material in soundboard quality from that time. Imagine the 1992 Rollercoaster Tour, 1993 Starshaped Festivals, 1994 Glastonbury, 1995 Seaside/B-Roads stuff, 1997 London Astoria, Stockholm 1999 etc. The list goes on :)

A bit more of legacy recycling would be also more than welcome. Bands like the Beatles, Beastie Boys or Depeche Mode published high quality biograpies and photo books over the years. Blur should have a great archive of unpublished pictures, too. As they always had cool layouts and styles it would be a shame if the would not use it.

Pavlich

Post by Pavlich » 09 Apr 2021, 08:20

I don't mind them eschewing Record Store Day. Most of the releases are novelty or irrelevant.

Ultimately if you want any album (bar 13?) on vinyl, you can get it.

No one needs a Parklife 10" in the shape of the beer coaster that sounds like forks on the side of a naked Heinz tin.

I also actually like that they don't constantly put disposable rubbish out. It's a bit like Radiohead. There's something nice about their material being a total product of its time; it sells itself, too.

They've (all) got shocking promoters and agents though, Gorillaz are one of the few active acts who could headline whatever they want. Yet their roll-outs are absolutely dull and there's no buzz when anything comes out. Aires and Andromeda could've been big songs. Damon puts way too much Gorillaz shit out but even those 'lesser' releases could be properly output so they're acknowledged as such.

What I'd like to see if anything is something like Radiohead's Public Library. But with a physical component.

Maybe just put some live shows, old videos up every week. Maybe start it off massively with B-Roads (hah!); that could get some big interest in the music press.

Live at the Budokan was never released on vinyl, was it? Put that out as a box of 12"s, limited run sort of thing. Few old alternate sessions, that sort of stuff.

stephen

Post by stephen » 09 Apr 2021, 08:39

Pavlich wrote:
09 Apr 2021, 08:20
No one needs a Parklife 10" in the shape of the beer coaster that sounds like forks on the side of a naked Heinz tin.
:lol: :lol:

jonathas

Post by jonathas » 09 Apr 2021, 09:16

I appreciate that it can feel a little dull being a Blur fan in a world where artists are constantly releasing novelty editions and archive shows, and I too would dearly love some treasures to be discovered in the vault, and particularly to hear some of the early shows properly recorded. But on the other hand I also take pride in the fact that Blur are a band with a distinct, consistent, settled narrative and no-one is trying to tweak, reframe or re-invigorate their legacy. They released five or six pretty perfect albums, a set of b-sides which provide a wonderfully rich alternative history of the group, and played some great shows. Their discography is near perfect (especially if you call it quits after Music Is My Radar), and I'm very happy with it. Of the various best-ofs and live shows that have been released, I'd argue that only Budoken captures the band at the top of their game, so I really don't need much more, I don't think. Especially if it's gimmicky.

stephen

Post by stephen » 09 Apr 2021, 10:31

jonathas wrote:
09 Apr 2021, 09:16
Their discography is near perfect (especially if you call it quits after Music Is My Radar), and I'm very happy with it. Of the various best-ofs and live shows that have been released, I'd argue that only Budoken captures the band at the top of their game, so I really don't need much more, I don't think. Especially if it's gimmicky.
I hope I don't upset anyone but yes it definitely feels like 'the best of' was pretty much the end of an era. It was the start of 2000 and blur pretty much completed the 90s, Gorillaz obviously happened shortly after. So yeah we would have liked to include think tank and the magic whip but that's 2 albums in 20 years. Gorillaz can release 2 albums in a year so it's been incredibly depressing as a blur fan