Gorillaz - Song Machine

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

northernmonkey

Re: New track from Gorillaz to premiere on BBC Radio 1 this Thursday

Post by northernmonkey » 31 Jan 2020, 17:57

Maybe with this approach to making and putting out music, he will take this approach with Blur. I think part of the problem with Gorillaz or Blur is as soon as you put a record out it means touring it for the next 1-2yrs. I guess the pressure isn't there and its a lot more fun, as obvious when watchin the Momenatary Bliss video. I actually think it is a better way of promotion too, Blur and Gorillaz albums of late have been well recieved on release, but soon dropped out of any form of chart after the initial first week or two.

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 31 Jan 2020, 18:47

northernmonkey wrote:
31 Jan 2020, 17:57
Maybe with this approach to making and putting out music, he will take this approach with Blur. I think part of the problem with Gorillaz or Blur is as soon as you put a record out it means touring it for the next 1-2yrs. I guess the pressure isn't there and its a lot more fun, as obvious when watchin the Momenatary Bliss video. I actually think it is a better way of promotion too, Blur and Gorillaz albums of late have been well recieved on release, but soon dropped out of any form of chart after the initial first week or two.
^I think you're spot on. Noel Gallagher has released four EP's every four months for download etc last year and has said this may be the way forward for him to release new music rather than recording albums.

This could be the same path for blur and gorillaz too. Especially as Graham has now relocated to L.A. He could record there and upload his parts rather than a 6 month recording process.
I would love a 4 track E.P from blur/gorillaz every say four months for a year!

As for the new track. really like it, A nod to the Debut and Demon Days! and loving the Video too(a nice bit of foliage on the Studio 13 veranda/balcony).
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

TracyJosh

Post by TracyJosh » 01 Feb 2020, 10:24

stephen wrote:
31 Jan 2020, 17:07
You say it's old hat but then talk about making into an album, I think the format of releasing songs as and when they are made is a much better way of doing things. If they had this approach from Humanz it would have felt like being inundated with new Gorillaz material. Hope it works out for them.
Well they could have condensed down their output to 12-15 better quality songs, whatever the format of release, instead of the 30 odd we will have had by the end of the the song machine stuff. Just feel there's a lot of filler.

daii

Post by daii » 01 Feb 2020, 14:00

Looks like the next collaboration is gonna be with Tame Impala

northernmonkey

Re: Gorillaz - Song Machine

Post by northernmonkey » 03 Feb 2020, 16:53

Certainly promosing start with the collaborators being used. Can't say I really know much of Tame Impala's music, but I have obviously heard of them and like the guests on Momentary Bliss are different to what we usually expect for Gorillaz. Do people expect these songs to drop weekly?

rich

Post by rich » 03 Feb 2020, 17:08

monthly I think - see 35:30 at https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000drwj

stephen

Post by stephen » 03 Feb 2020, 17:23

rich wrote:
03 Feb 2020, 17:08
Doesn't sound very clear, it doesn't sounds like they know what they are doing :lol:

I guess they'll just release stuff as and when, hard to know if they already have a catalogue of songs or it will be more or less as and when they create songs

rich

Post by rich » 03 Feb 2020, 17:36

stephen wrote:
03 Feb 2020, 17:23
rich wrote:
Doesn't sound very clear, it doesn't sounds like they know what they are doing :lol:
I guess they'll just release stuff as and when, hard to know if they already have a catalogue of songs or it will be more or less as and when they create songs
I'm sure there's lots in the can already - Damon was working with Slaves in March 2019 - just before the GBQ 6Music thing - so that's nearly a year ago...

This process makes so much sense - gives Jamie nine months to add the visuals before each song machine 'episode' comes out. And meanwhile, Damon gets on with other stuff - desperately trying to finish the Icelandic piece at the moment I would guess ;)

... and of course it's Tame Impala for the next one - Trevor the gorilla! :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBzrzS1Ag_g

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 03 Feb 2020, 18:14

There will probably be 13 episodes in this season, so I think they'll release a new song more or less once a month. On the one hand Damon says that Song Machine is sort of diary, on the other - they won't release songs chronologically, so music recorded today might be released in a very distant future. Momentary Bliss was recorded in summer. The animation company is already working on new episodes so we can be sure that they have some music ready.

rich

Post by rich » 03 Feb 2020, 18:37

lumaka wrote:
03 Feb 2020, 18:14
The animation company is already working on new episodes so we can be sure that they have some music ready.
your secret contacts? ;) ;)

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 03 Feb 2020, 18:53

rich wrote:
03 Feb 2020, 18:37
I wish! Just comments on instagram :lol:

rich

Post by rich » 03 Feb 2020, 19:25

lumaka wrote:
03 Feb 2020, 18:53
rich wrote:
03 Feb 2020, 18:37
I wish! Just comments on instagram :lol:
even so - I salute your impressive sleuthing 8-) 8-)

stephen

Post by stephen » 04 Feb 2020, 09:27

Thanks for clearing it up rich and lumaka, I think Damon was struggling to explain it on the podcast.

John_d

Post by John_d » 05 Feb 2020, 13:49

TracyJosh wrote:
31 Jan 2020, 15:51
It's pretty good.. Better than everything on The Now Now. For me personally, I feel the latest phase of Gorillaz has been a bit reckless output wise. Bit of a lack of quality control as a lot of the material lacks depth and purpose if you ask me. I absolutely love the first 3 Gorillaz albums(I see Demon Days as possibly being Damon's best work), I'm not merely projecting my frustration at lack of Blur activity in the direction of Gorillaz, I have just found all the new stuff pretty boring. Too many collabs. It's just crowded and messy. Could have just taken their time a bit and condensed it all down into 1 really good album.

Also, when watching the tour/studio documentary film, I couldn't help but feel that they are clutching at straws trying to maintain Jamie's input still has any degree of real significance in 2020.

I actually think Gorillaz should have just been left after Plastic Beach. Given the multimedia nature of the project and how much the animation was initially a huge part of why it was so successful, it was perfectly unique for the new millennium, but now I feel it's all a bit old hat. It could have had a brilliant legacy.
I think releasing material like this is a nice change of tactics. The video feels very fresh and is a lot of fun (infinitely better than, for example, the Strobelite video) and evidence of Jamie's contribution. The song is - quite good - while having a bit of a slapped together feel that doesn't totally gel. From the Radio 1 interview, it sounds a bit like Damon was trying a musical version of Exquisite Corpse - https://www.tate.org.uk/art/art-terms/c ... ite-corpse - it might be better if they are more upfront about this being the process. As an aside, I think if they are going to tour again, the live show needs a major rethink. Standing in front of a screen is nowhere near good enough in 2020. Look what U2 and Es Devlin came up with in comparison - https://www.dezeen.com/2018/05/09/es-de ... et-design/

munch

Post by munch » 14 Feb 2020, 04:31

rich wrote:
03 Feb 2020, 17:36
stephen wrote:
03 Feb 2020, 17:23
rich wrote:
I'm sure there's lots in the can already - Damon was working with Slaves in March 2019 - just before the GBQ 6Music thing - so that's nearly a year ago...

This process makes so much sense - gives Jamie nine months to add the visuals before each song machine 'episode' comes out. And meanwhile, Damon gets on with other stuff - desperately trying to finish the Icelandic piece at the moment I would guess ;)

... and of course it's Tame Impala for the next one - Trevor the gorilla! :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBzrzS1Ag_g
i know i am older but that videos still hot (including the music)
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man