Music is my radar

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: MrMagpie, tom_cas1, Caitlin

TracyJosh

Music is my radar

Post by TracyJosh » 03 Apr 2018, 09:25

I've had Music is my radar on rotation all week. Only now have I fully appreciated how great a tune it is. Such an infectious groove throughout!

Couple queries... My usual, how well was it received upon release? I remember clearly my older brother getting The best of album for his Christmas that year, but I have no recollection of that single getting airplay.

Also, was it just that and Black Book recorded for the best of album? Or was anything else recorded during that time? An album full of tunes like those 2 would have been lush.

stephen

Re: Music is my radar

Post by stephen » 03 Apr 2018, 10:55

I do like the recordings around this time. It does make you wonder what Think Tank would have been if they carried on with this direction before Graham left.
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 03 Apr 2018, 17:22

Music Is My Radar is one of my favourite Blur songs. Just incredible. And then there's Black Book which is arguably even better. I can only imagine what an album would have sounded like with other songs like those two. Alas, it wasn't to be.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 03 Apr 2018, 20:11

"1", "3", "Some Glad Morning", "Morricone", and "The Outsider" and maybe "Kissin' Time" with Damon on vocals along w/MMR and "BB" along with a few other tracks would have been the ideal follow-up to "13"!

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 03 Apr 2018, 23:01

Adore these wilderness years but especially Music Is My Radar. It manages to sound like krautrock and Afrobeat (and indeed noise rock) at the same time.

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 04 Apr 2018, 01:21

I feel daft for not realizing this ages ago, but it took the Q Magazine feature on Damon's 50th bday to make me realize he's talking about Tony Allen throughout... but in my defense, it's quite hard to understand what Damon says in that song, ha.

Love this tune though. The bizarre video fits the bizarre sound. It's difficult to pick a favorite aspect of it, but mine is probably Graham's solo. It sounds like it's ripping the song in half whilst still keeping the groove going.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 04 Apr 2018, 02:27

I also love the video, but I loved it a bit less when I realised that wasn't Steve Knightley at the end but Steve Lately(?) When I first saw it I thought the host said 'Knightley' and the Steve even looked like him, even though I had no idea why he'd be writing a play... In my defence I was about 10.

stephen

Post by stephen » 04 Apr 2018, 08:09

I've never really thought about the lyrics before.

I've just looked them up :shock:
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 05 Apr 2018, 17:30

stephen wrote:I've never really thought about the lyrics before.

I've just looked them up :shock:
i dont remember this song really having "lyrics"
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

ricj

Post by ricj » 05 Apr 2018, 17:58

I remember hearing the first play of it on the radio and enjoying it but at the same time feeling a bit annoyed at what I thought was just lazy scat singing by Damon. I'd got the idea in my head at the time that Damon couldn't be bothered to write a 'proper' song anymore and couldn't really be bothered with Blur anymore. In hindsight maybe I wasn't too far from the truth with the latter.

It's easy to overlook the fact now, but that at the time, most people just assumed there'd be another Blur album within a year or so of 13, and another after that and so on, just like there had been for the last 9 years. Little did we know that Blur was effectively over as a full time, fully functioning band by that point...

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 05 Apr 2018, 22:00

I don't remember hearing it too much on the radio.

At the time it seemed startling that they had achieved a decade of sustained success, and were starting to be considered as 'veterans'.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

Moritz

Post by Moritz » 05 Apr 2018, 22:45

Did they earned the status of "veterans" in the UK already in 2000? I know that they are heroes there, but in the location where I life, the group is for most people a good rock group, but not that praised like Radiohead. Did the release of 13 helped to gain that status in the late 90s?

For me, Music Is My Radar is not that much a breaking point after the two previous albums, but more a step into the direction of electronic and funk music. It is also mentioned that Can where an influence, what is very possible because of the songs long instrumental "jam" parts. This is realy Krautrock like, just hooked with a few more guitars nad noise. The whole song is realy unique, but it is hard to imagine an album from all four group members from this time, playing tunes like this or the fragments of 1. So the single format realy works here.

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 07 Apr 2018, 00:14

aldamasta wrote:but in my defense, it's quite hard to understand what Damon says in that song, ha.
Damon probably doesn’t even know what he was saying. Lol.

MIMR is probably one of my favorite Blur tracks. It’s so funky and so much fun.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 13 Apr 2018, 05:52

Moritz wrote:Did they earned the status of "veterans" in the UK already in 2000?
They didn't turn into veterans in e.g. the Paul Weller sense, but a 'best of' album was out - it was the first time they had been viewed retrospectively.

And as others mention, there didn't seem to be anything new on the horizon from Blur itself - instead, Gorillaz was imminent.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

dparrott

Post by dparrott » 14 Apr 2018, 18:09

MsMagicAmerica wrote:
aldamasta wrote:but in my defense, it's quite hard to understand what Damon says in that song, ha.
Damon probably doesn’t even know what he was saying. Lol.
That's one of the reasons why I DON'T like it.

"Hey. I can just mumble some stuff on the mic and make a song. I'll do that some more" :roll:
Which spread to Gorillaz, which spread to Think Tank....

Thankfully TMW got back to real lyrics!