Blur song facts

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: MrMagpie, tom_cas1, Caitlin

blurdamongorgeous

Re: Blur song facts

Post by blurdamongorgeous » 13 Mar 2018, 23:49

Ah you guys are all great! I'm afraid I haven't got my copy of 3862 days yet!

Any song facts for their first album?
Check out my Blur Blog- BlurBalls- throwing YOU all the latest Blur news http://www.blurballs.com

stephen

Post by stephen » 14 Mar 2018, 10:19

blurdamongorgeous wrote:Ah you guys are all great! I'm afraid I haven't got my copy of 3862 days yet!

Any song facts for their first album?
I know the song sing used to be a bit more uptempo/upbeat. There's a demo/live version of it knocking about and it sounds very different.
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 14 Mar 2018, 20:31

Sing got it's name because Damon couldn't think of a vocal that worked with the music, so the title was a reminder that he still needed to sing, it was the last song on the album to be finished for this reason.

stephen

Post by stephen » 20 Mar 2018, 20:37

Watched this video last night and thought there's a tonne of information there which might get you started (mostly on production because it's Graham Coxon and Stephen Street being interviewed).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n8k0fB82nU

Stephen Street often mentions the use of 'radar' which was an all in one recording software/hard drive which was used on the untitled album. That's why we get a looser sounding record because there wasn't as much restriction and would explain why the self-titled album and 13 sound so much different to there previous albums. There wasn't a lengthy process with food records to approve demos before they got produced.
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good

dparrott

Post by dparrott » 24 Mar 2018, 03:33

Moritz wrote:Badgeman Brown was planned to be a moderat chart hit, but never gained big attention.
Seriously??? Wow. I can't imagine that being a hit.

The studio version of "Never Clever" is about half speed of the live version on the CW single. I LOL'd when I first heard the studio version. I like it but it's silly and weird.