RIP Keith Flint

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Mark72

RIP Keith Flint

Post by Mark72 » 04 Mar 2019, 11:58

Sad day.succumbed to suicide. Saw him and the band twice back in the day. An absolute brilliant frontman. Knebworth '96 was a great memory
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/k ... smsnnews11

R.I.P Keith
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wmin5WkOu ... e=youtu.be
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

Sledge Hammer

Re: RIP Keith Flint

Post by Sledge Hammer » 04 Mar 2019, 18:42

They totally blew Oasis away at Knebworth, Keith "you Oasis mttha fkkas" made me chuckle, and were electric live. This was the day I knew Blur were miles ahead of Oasis, they were flat dull and barely spoke to the crowd apart from coming on at the beginning and singing "shiitelife".

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 05 Mar 2019, 10:44

James blunt's tweet was brilliant. Ouch!!
https://mobile.twitter.com/JamesBlunt/s ... 0207113216
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

PaulG

Post by PaulG » 06 Mar 2019, 10:24

A really sad day. I remember 'Charly' being released whilst I was at college and starting the whole 'Toytown Techno' scene - of course, nothing else came near it (apart from 'Summers Magic). 'Experience' was a huge part of my first year of University and it brings back so many memories every time I listen to it. It's a brilliant album and, IMO, is better than 'Fat of the Land'.

I didn't really get 'Jilted Generation' and didn't recognise Keith when I first saw the 'Firestarter' video! I'll never forget the reaction to it being shown on TOTP - parents concerned that Keith was frightening their children. 1996 seems a hell of a lot more innocent than 2019.

I've read so many people saying what a great person he was, and so different from the stage persona. The James Blunt quote made me laugh, but it's also a reminder that being decent to someone can have a lasting effect.

RIP Keith.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 09 Mar 2019, 06:53

Well, in theory I was more into EMF, Blur, Primal Scream, The Shamen etc in that period, but I also bought the first two Prodigy albums. I liked them, and they remain evocative of their period. 'Charly' was interesting, but by and large a typical rave record, but the immediacy of the single 'Everybody In The Place' got me and I was hooked.

I didn't remember that Keith Flint was a member in that early period - he only began to stand out when he took on his grotesque appearance for the 'Firestarter' video, and became a prominent vocalist. Like Goldie and Bez, he was one of the semi-mythical characters of the time 8-)

For some reason, I didn't buy the third album upon release, though I did so much more recently.

I can't believe he has died :shock:

R.I.P. Keith Flint.
Last edited by Mallard No. 22 on 15 Mar 2019, 06:00, edited 1 time in total.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 09 Mar 2019, 06:59

PaulG wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 10:24
A really sad day. I remember 'Charly' being released whilst I was at college and starting the whole 'Toytown Techno' scene - of course, nothing else came near it (apart from 'Summers Magic).
:? I don't think I've heard the genre name 'Toytown Techno' before - was it used at the time? However, I like it and there was certainly a spate of rave records based on old childrens TV shows, most of which are now forgotten novelties.

The Prodigy rose out of this, and as you say the 'Experience' album is very evocative of those times.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 15 Mar 2019, 05:59

Mark72 wrote:
05 Mar 2019, 10:44
James blunt's tweet was brilliant. Ouch!!
https://mobile.twitter.com/JamesBlunt/s ... 0207113216
Yes, I didn't care for James Blunt's hit singles (apart from one) but that it is an enlightening quote from him. He represented 'shopping mall' music which is probably why the Gallaghers, Damon and Paul Weller were abrupt.

I suspect Keith Flint was a nice guy, who perhaps grew tired of the attention he gained as a 'scary' character.

He had got a personal best time in his local Park Run, just days before his death. Maybe he just wanted to enjoy simple things like that.