Alice In Chains

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

metalhipslop

Alice In Chains

Post by metalhipslop » 04 Oct 2017, 05:47

Any fans?
They weren't as good as Nirvana. i'm sure britpop fans enjoy this music though :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODTv9Lt5WYs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

bugman

Re: Alice In Chains

Post by bugman » 04 Oct 2017, 20:52

what ? they werent good ? nonsense

they were brilliant. and im absolutly love their mtv unplugged record.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 05 Oct 2017, 02:10

Was an AIC fan until Layne passed, but have despised them since they reformed with William DuVall and have often wished Jerry since just went solo.

Nothing is better than "Face Life" and "Dirt" and "SAP" and "Jar of Flies" both captured another side of the band... "Self-Titled" was a solid comeback bid, but too bad Layne was WAY TOO far gone by then to really sustain it. I could definitely go on and on and yes, they were better than Nirvana!

Edit: As you know, I'm from the States and preferred Grunge over Britpop at the time, but that all changed by '97 and '98 for me!

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 05 Oct 2017, 04:40

bugman wrote:what ? they werent good ? nonsense

I didn't say they weren't good... which is why I made the thread. just because they weren't as good as nirvana doesnt mean i think they aren't brilliant. it;s like I always say Pulp isn't as good as blur.

Yes the Unplugged record is their best

I don't even think of Alice In Chains without Layne.. the band ended then

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 05 Oct 2017, 04:48

metalhipslop wrote:
bugman wrote:what ? they werent good ? nonsense

I didn't say they weren't good... which is why I made the thread. just because they weren't as good as nirvana doesnt mean i think they aren't brilliant. it;s like I always say Pulp isn't as good as blur.

Yes the Unplugged record is their best

I don't even think of Alice In Chains without Layne.. the band ended then
Even though I myself posted earlier AIC was better than Nirvana.. I hate sounding like a contrarian here, but it's honestly difficult to compare the two, but AIC made a more major personal impact on me than Nirvana ever did.... Layne and Jerry together just created so much magic and had a lot more to offer if it wasn't for Layne's constant battles with his reoccurring demons.

How do you feel about Mad Season and also Jerry's solo material?

Mad Season to me was Layne at his best and Jerry should form a band with Mike Bordin, Robert Trujillo, and Chris DeGarmo....... But that will never happen unfortunately.....

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 05 Oct 2017, 05:41

ive never listened to jerry's solo stuff. I know he was a great song writer but always felt he didnt have the right voice to sing solo
Layne and Jerry had an amazing chemistry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLTFgo2Z1EE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
but yeah, Nirvana had a bigger impact on me personally.. I just think Nirvana were always better than any band in the 90's. other than blur, the other band on the other side of sea.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 07 Oct 2017, 12:32

metalhipslop wrote:ive never listened to jerry's solo stuff. I know he was a great song writer but always felt he didnt have the right voice to sing solo
Layne and Jerry had an amazing chemistry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLTFgo2Z1EE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
but yeah, Nirvana had a bigger impact on me personally.. I just think Nirvana were always better than any band in the 90's. other than blur, the other band on the other side of sea.
You're definitely missing out by not checking into Jerry's solo work. He can certainly hold his own. "Boggy Depot" was a decent effort, but you must check out "Degradation Trip" (especially Volumes 1&2 deluxe version). Just some amazing tunes and his supporting band consisted of Mike Bordin (Faith No More drummer), Robert Trujillo (since Metallica's bassist) and Chris DeGarmo (former Queensryche guitarist) contributed slide guitar to this following song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGuJ3tvKgo8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's from 2002 and around the time Layne passed, so most songs were about Laynes rise and demise..... Edit: I should add Jerry's first solo effort, circa 1996, "Leave Me Alone" from the "Cable Guy" soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQExlqz6slk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regarding Nirvana... I always credit them for at the time ('91) in getting me back into "current" music when I shunned it for a couple of years because I was getting sick of the Hair Band scene and Grunge was what I needed!

dparrott

Post by dparrott » 07 Oct 2017, 21:32

I like them, even the post Layne stuff. Black Gives Way To Blue is really good I think.

They were more bombastic heavy metal whereas Nirvana was pop tinged grunge. Both bands had their own thing going, can't really compare the two I think. STP sounded like AIC with their first album, then went their own direction.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 09 Oct 2017, 06:10

dparrott wrote:I like them, even the post Layne stuff. Black Gives Way To Blue is really good I think.

They were more bombastic heavy metal whereas Nirvana was pop tinged grunge. Both bands had their own thing going, can't really compare the two I think. STP sounded like AIC with their first album, then went their own direction.
Unfortunately, they compared STP's first album "Core" to Pearl Jam....They started really going in the own direction with some of "Purple" but especially with their 1996 album, "Tiny Music....".....

Yeah... difficult to compare AIC and Nirvana, but again just based on personal impact alone I tend to lean towards AIC...... AIC was more inspired by Black Sabbath, Nirvana by the likes of the Melvins and Meat Puppets, Pearl Jam more so by Neil Young.... STP heavily impacted by David Bowie and Glam Rock overall.