Arctic Monkeys

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Rubi

Arctic Monkeys

Post by Rubi » 07 May 2017, 15:52

The band's hiatus is over and a new record should come out this year or in 2018. Anyone else a fan?

To be he honest, I never really cared for them for a long time. I had their first two albums on iTunes but aside from a few tracks I couldn't get into any of it. Then, about a month ago I decided to listen to AM and everything changed. Now I'm hooked.

Lastly I downloaded Humbug and I love it. I really appreciate that it's much different and darker than their previous work. It's a statement of a band willing to explore new directions and never remaining stale. Hopefully that carries on to their future music.

Consigliere_11

Re: Arctic Monkeys

Post by Consigliere_11 » 07 May 2017, 19:13

I have very mixed feelings about Arctic Monkeys, but in general I still like them. Humbug is one of my favorite albums *ever* with great songs like My Propeller, Secret Door, Fire and the Thud... they were very artsy in their songs and melodies at the time, while keeping the live performances aesthetic at the acceptable level - Alex Turner has not yet started to wiggle his bottom, for once.
I like their first two albums as well - they have catchy melodies and interesting lyrics. SIAS is a bit boring, although "She's Thunderstroms" is probably one of their best songs, and the title track is a nice little love ballad, I guess..?
All of this brings us to the current era of AM and the new Last Shadow Puppets album... Alex Turner is still fairly good at songwriting and making really good hit singles (R U Mine and Do I Wanna Know are somewhat simple songs yet instantly catchy), but his writing tends to become a bit repetitive and much more pop-oriented, which I really don't enjoy. AM either has great songs, or dreadfully awful ones (One for the Road, Knee Socks, Fireside). Same with the new LSP record. And boy Turner's look and performances changed a lot - this huge pretentious machism that looks ridiculous and has no purpose... I know it doesn't suppose to matter, but I can't help but think that this somehow affects the music as well. My only hope is that he will go through that (sort of like a Bowie period thingy) and start writing better songs again.
RIP Mr. Okay (April 2015 - March 2016)

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 07 May 2017, 19:30

You really think Fireside and Knee Socks are awful? Personally I really like them, especially Fireside. To each their own I guess.

But yeah, every time I scroll down the comment section of an Arctic Monkeys video I keep reading comments about how good the band used to be etc. I'm not of the same opinion. AM might be a more accessible and "mainstream" album than their previous work, but that doesn't necessarily make it a bad record. I think it's a more diverse album with each song bringing something different to the table.

The main problem I had with the first two albums is that way too many songs sounded the same, hence why I couldn't get into them. Thanks to AM I was able to appreciate the band and thereafter it was way easier getting into their other records.

Consigliere_11

Post by Consigliere_11 » 07 May 2017, 20:40

Well, they are not that bad, especially compared to One for the Road - but they are a bit bland and not very memorable to me. Apart from R U Mine and Do I Wanna Know, I like Mad Sounds a lot, and No 1. Party Anthem is pretty good as well. I tend to think of AM as an EP - I have purchased half of the songs I like and the rest just do not exist to me :lol:

The second album got me hooked, and in terms of the sound I wish they were expanding somewhere along those lines - and they sort of did on Humbug, adding that extra bit of darkness and small touch of psychedelia, which I enjoy. It's nice that the band has its moment of huge mainstream success with AM - but I just don't follow along. It's a regular process - not all the people enjoy the new directions that their favorite bands are taking, at least the back catalogue is plenty enough :) I am still waiting for their new LP, just don't get my hopes up.
RIP Mr. Okay (April 2015 - March 2016)

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 13 May 2017, 00:21

I've not given Arctic Monkeys enough listens, but I adore their earlier period. I think A Certain Romance is the best Arctic song ever, and it's one of my favorite album closers of all time! But I am firmly in the "used to be better" category. My favorite song on AM is No 1 Party Anthem, but other than that I have trouble of thinking of songs that instantly pop into my head. I like Arabella too, if memory serves.

But I am interested to see how this next album sounds. I'm hoping it will be much different. I'm glad they've apparently returned to Sheffield to make it!

TracyJosh

Post by TracyJosh » 03 Jun 2017, 02:15

Arctic monkeys have very much being my coming of age band. When 'Whatever people say I am...' came out, I was 13 and in my first year of high school and the albums soundtracked the romantic milestones and house-parties throughout the rest of my formative years. Never been my favourite band, I can switch off them for months on end but their importance and impact on me is omnipresent.

When AM came out I was 20 and thought it was hands down the best thing they'd done, but on hindsight I think it's actually aged quite badly, quite quickly compared to the others. Do I wona know, R U Mine, Number 1 party anthem, Knee socks and Wona be yours are great, but the rest are effectively all variations of the same pseudo Drake song with some slap back delay guitars. Except Snap out of it which is just terrible in a different way and Mad sounds which is like Velvet Underground on too much Valium. And some of the lyrics theoughout Are a bit more creepy uncle than lizard king. I think Humbug has been the one that has had a lot more to offer over time. Still, I'm eagerly waiting where they go with the next album.