Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

AdvertBreak

RIP George Michael

Post by AdvertBreak » 25 Dec 2016, 23:17

AAAHHH :( :( :(

Caitlin

Re: RIP George Michael

Post by Caitlin » 25 Dec 2016, 23:26

Seriously, what the hell is wrong with this year?

Consigliere_11

Post by Consigliere_11 » 25 Dec 2016, 23:38

^ I support this question

This is shocking, absolutely shocking. No other words
RIP Mr. Okay (April 2015 - March 2016)

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 25 Dec 2016, 23:39

I swear...

I've been a big Wham fan since I was a kid. I know it's not cool but Wham was a BIG guilty pleasure of mine.

2016 isn't over yet, but can the killing of famous people be over?

I wonder if he was sick since they said he died "peacefully"

EDIT: Just read he passed from heart failure. Such a shame too young.
Last edited by MsMagicAmerica on 26 Dec 2016, 03:13, edited 1 time in total.

bugman

Post by bugman » 26 Dec 2016, 02:09

for me, it's the saddest news in music industry.why George? why!

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 26 Dec 2016, 05:40

I posted this on my FB page....

Unfortunately these are legends from our generation, so we grew up with them during their peak compared to others who went before then. So it's ultimately going to worsen those who were just outside to those from who within grew along with those with sustained longevity who spanned over, etc.... just the natural progression of mortality.

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 26 Dec 2016, 10:23

Great memory was My Sister blasting out wham's fantastic L.P back in 83...much to my annoyance. But what a great song writer He became. He wrote Carless whisper aged 17!!! Loved his faith and listen without prejudice albums. R.I.P George 53?! Far too young...
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 27 Dec 2016, 09:00

Heard the news late on Christmas Day and was completely taken aback. 53 years old, just no age at all. I know as we as a generation of music fans move into middle age our childhood heroes will begin shuffling of this mortal coil, but George's time wasn't yet. Not by a long chalk.

Gets you thinking. Perhaps liking his music wasn't 'cool' for years, but he wrote some blindingly good pop music. You're right Ms Magic, Wham! was pop perfection. I was 14 in 1990 when his Listen Without Prejudice album came out and I loved it. I was on the cusp of my musical taste maturing if you like - before that my taste in 'bands' was Rattle and Hum era U2 and George's album and songwriting was part of my ongoing musical self education that lead to other touch point albums that we all have as we grow up - I next remember Achtung, Baby! and then Blur arrived (for me) with MLIR and the journey really began. So thanks to George for contributing loads to my love of music. He'll be missed.

One note on the cruelty of the online world. Another non-music related forum I read had a similar George Micheal thread and some of the nasty, childish comments and dismissal of his work and life is staggering, and essentially because those inadequate people can't come to terms with the fact he was gay. Amazed at what people say online. They wouldn't dare in public. Just pleased we have such a generous group of music fans on our little area of the internet.

Sorry to ramble on.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 27 Dec 2016, 20:02

Shocking, just shocking. And 53! Lost for words. This has been the best year of my life but the amount of people who have been taken from us has been unreal. First Bowie then...well, where to start? So many. I wasn't a fan of George Michael's music really (aside from one or two songs) but there's no doubting his status as one of the biggest names from the 80's. RIP.

In terms of things said about him, that whole toilet incident (in LA?) was just weird to say the least. Weird and wrong on all levels. But to go on about those things after his death is in poor taste. He'll be remembered for his music and rightly so.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 27 Dec 2016, 20:07

I'm a particularly big fan of his solo work. Faith is the classic but Listen Without Prejudice and it's anti-image stance, Older and its sophisticated, smokey jazz, and the dance visions of Patience are all very much of interest to me. I've been meaning to write a tribute post to him but at present I haven't, instead I'm writing about each album individually on FB. If I make that tribute post I'll put it in this thread.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 27 Dec 2016, 21:52

The only album of George's that I bought was 'Listen Without Prejudice (Vol 1)'. It had parallels with the indie/dance music of the time. I will have to dig it out again.

Others say that 'Faith' was a good album, though I never bought it.

I could take or leave several of the Wham! singles like 'Club Tropicana' and 'Wake Me Up Before You Go Go'.

I did like 'Freedom' (soulful) and 'I'm Your Man' (infectious bass-line).

I saw 'Young Guns' on a repeat of Top of the Pops from 1982 this week, a few days before his death. I think I like it more now than I did then.

RIP George Michael. Died too young.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 27 Dec 2016, 23:58

Everything She Wants is his best Wham Track for Me, Songwriting at its best.
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 28 Dec 2016, 13:49

Everything She Wants & Edge of Heaven are my favorite Wham tracks. As for solo, Praying for Time & Amazing are my favorites.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 28 Dec 2016, 23:55

Mark72 wrote:Everything She Wants is his best Wham Track for Me, Songwriting at its best.

I agree.. he started show his song writing maturation right there. Then I agree with "Edge of Heaven" was a solid moment in itself and "A Different Corner" also cannot be overlooked.

Michael crossed over several genres quite effectively both w/Wham and solo. He still had plenty to offer and I guess was in the process of recording a new album and hopefully that can be released in some favorable form... He definitely will be missed!

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 05 Jan 2017, 06:34

'Everything She Wants' is a bit overlooked compared to 'Last Christmas'. I had forgotten about it - quite a good track.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."