Elastica

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

MsMagicAmerica

Elastica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 30 Jun 2016, 19:19

Anyone here a fan of Elastica? I actually was a fan of Elastica before I was of Blur due to Connection being all over the radio in America. I remember owning the cassette single to it. I still think their self titled is one of my top 10 favorite albums of all time. Then came the Menace and it was all over for me. I only liked Mad Dog off that album.

KingLouieLouie76

Re: Elastica

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 30 Jun 2016, 23:30

MsMagicAmerica wrote:Anyone here a fan of Elastica? I actually was a fan of Elastica before I was of Blur due to Connection being all over the radio in America. I remember owning the cassette single to it. I still think their self titled is one of my top 10 favorite albums of all time. Then came the Menace and it was all over for me. I only liked Mad Dog off that album.
Also living in the States during that time, do you also agree w/me that Elastica was the 2nd most popular Britpop and here in the mid 90s just behind Oasis? It seemed Elastica w/Oasis got both the most airtime whether on local radio or on MTV..... I also loved their "Da Da Da" cover.... I really liked Mew quite a bit......

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 01 Jul 2016, 04:00

First album is a fantastic collection tracks - imo it's the best post-punk revival album ever and it was before post-punk revival was even a thing (oh no wait, it was the new wave of new wave that was basically just Britpop with Wire influence.) And speaking about that, its obviously a derivative album seeped in punk, post-punk and new wave but I'll take that over The Stokes, Shins, Libertines and their garage rock revival ilk anyday.

The Menace is a very underrated album imo. I'm not sure to what extent is it inspired by the same breakup that inspired 13 but it shares that album's sporadic nervous noise and arty pop in equal measure.

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 01 Jul 2016, 08:42

It's been years since I listened to the Menace so maybe I'll give it another try.

And yes Louie, I think they were the 2nd biggest Britpop band in the US. "Connection" was everywhere & MTV was playing their videos like crazy.

dparrott

Post by dparrott » 01 Jul 2016, 15:03

AdvertBreak wrote: I'll take that over The Stokes, Shins, Libertines and their garage rock revival ilk anyday.
Me too. One thing I like about the s/t is the variety in speed and style. The fast songs rip of course, but I also love the slow grunge of SOFT.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 02 Jul 2016, 06:50

MsMagicAmerica wrote:It's been years since I listened to the Menace so maybe I'll give it another try.

And yes Louie, I think they were the 2nd biggest Britpop band in the US. "Connection" was everywhere & MTV was playing their videos like crazy.

Thankfully my memory wasn't playing tricks on me during this instance! :lol: I actually recall "Stutter' also receiving heavy airplay back then on the Detroit (where I grew-up) airwaves during that time and also "Car Song" on MTV's regular rotation as well. I don't know if anyone else remembers, but around 1995 or 1996 MTV (US) hosted a tv show which combined music and fashion and I seem to recall Elastica performing during the first half and Filter during the 2nd half....I remember watching w/a close friend of mine who also enjoyed Elastica at the time..... It's so ironic that's exactly what Graham aspired to what he wanted Blur to be at the time and finally did during their self-titled album obviously......Elastica had such a definitive sound on their debut album and unfortunately they couldn't replicate that magic on "the Menace", but again I still believe "the Menace" wasn't all too bad.....

Edit: I found a clip... it was on "Fashionably Loud"...Here's Elastica performing "Connection": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiu2nsnt-7E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 02 Jul 2016, 07:38

I think that Elastica's career was an unfinished business. Their early singles received attention from e.g. evening Radio 1 and the music press.

Unfortunately the debut album was a disappointment to my ears. I recall discussing it in the pub and the consensus was that something was missing (although they probably didn't have the time or money to be multi-instrumentalists). And the similarities to tracks by e.g. The Stranglers was obvious. In this respect a DJ at a local indie night tended to play 'No More Heroes' after 'Waking Up'.

However, I liked Elastica and their work pointed the way to greater things, but internal problems evidently hindered this. I did see them live, IIRC at the V96 Festival.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 03 Jul 2016, 04:40

Yeah as I say the derivative nature is obvious. Wire's Three Girl Rhumba and the Stranglers' No More Heroes formed obvious reference points in Connection and Waking Up. But it sounds a hella more fresh today than any 2000s post-punk revival/garage rock, and I imagined it sounded very fresh in 1995.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 03 Jul 2016, 12:18

AdvertBreak wrote:Yeah as I say the derivative nature is obvious. Wire's Three Girl Rhumba and the Stranglers' No More Heroes formed obvious reference points in Connection and Waking Up. But it sounds a hella more fresh today than any 2000s post-punk revival/garage rock, and I imagined it sounded very fresh in 1995.

Back in 1995 Elastica sounded so fresh that it was refreshing. Especially here in the States because Wire and the Stranglers didn't establish such a following, so to us it sounding like a whole new soundscape. Yes, it's obviously unfortunate that the classic line-up couldn't follow-up "Elastica" because they were on the brink of immense superstardom!

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 04 Jul 2016, 10:08

I honestly didn't know their songs were rip offs until a few years ago because I never heard of the Wire or the Stranglers.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 06 Jul 2016, 07:09

I suspect that when Elastica failed to build on their first album, Garbage moved in to claim some of the ground.

And in the UK, Sleeper probably did as well.

beeeagle

Post by beeeagle » 06 Jul 2016, 19:35

Hiya... there's a sweet old Elastica tee on ebay at the moment (The one with the Vaseline/Elastica logo) for anyone interested..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282091039830? ... 1555.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yr welcome : )

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 06 Jul 2016, 20:17

Funny, I just purchased an Elastica shirt (although it just has their logo on it)

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 20 Jul 2016, 01:43

MsMagicAmerica wrote:I honestly didn't know their songs were rip offs until a few years ago because I never heard of the Wire or the Stranglers.
I'd say it was only those two songs :lol: Not really rip-offs as both songs are distinct enough but the reference points are still very obvious all the same. Too obvious for the lawyers.
Mallard No. 22 wrote:I suspect that when Elastica failed to build on their first album, Garbage moved in to claim some of the ground.

And in the UK, Sleeper probably did as well.
Disagree. Sleeper and Garbage both got big in 1995, the same year Elastica's debut came out. Elastica hadn't had any time to build on their first album yet.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 21 Jul 2016, 06:27

I think that Elastica should have released singles during e.g. the winter of 1995-96 (as Garbage did). This would have maintained their momentum at this crucial time for indie guitar pop.