Monkees Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Mallard No. 22

Re: Monkees Thread

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 14 Oct 2016, 05:50

Yes, I notice the reference as well to The Beatles 'I'm So Tired' (...."and curse Sir Walter Raleigh, he was such a stupid get....").

I didn't realise the background to the word (as 'beget') and how it is usually 'git' in southern UK but 'get' in northern UK (as per Liverpool).

I suppose being from the USA, Mickey was not familiar with the word and its meaning.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 02 Oct 2017, 06:17

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:
Mallard No. 22 wrote:Thank you for posting that link. That TV special has gone over my 'Head' (ahem.... :lol: ) in the past but I hope to watch it in the next few days.

The fact that Julie Driscoll and Brian Auger are in it is fascinating, and a draw in itself.

P.S. 'The Porpoise Song' is awesome psychedelia. I hadn't picked up on that Goffin & King wrote it. A most un-Brill Building song to my ears.... :D
That tv special was so horridly done, but had some rather historical sequences, but I won''t give away any further details whatsoever. This project also marked the final time the quartet were together until their 1986 20th Reunion when Mike guested in some shows and tv appearances.....
Sad to relate that Jack Good, the producer of the Monkees TV special, has died aged 86.

He did a number of UK TV pop shows, including the groundbreaking 'Six-Five Special' and 'Oh Boy' in the late 50s, before moving to the USA, where he did 'Shindig!' in the mid-60s.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 22 Feb 2019, 01:09

As most if all of you already know, Peter died earlier today......

https://www.tmz.com/2019/02/21/peter-to ... guitarist/

He was the "folkie" Monkee and in fact the first one to leave the group. He will be missed, but never forgotten!

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 22 Feb 2019, 06:46

Sorry to hear this - I understand he had been ill for some time.

R.I.P. Peter Tork.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 22 Feb 2019, 08:01

Mallard No. 22 wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 06:46
Sorry to hear this - I understand he had been ill for some time.

R.I.P. Peter Tork.
Yeah.. in he was battling what was essentially tongue cancer since 2009 and was on the decline in recent years. In fact, that is why only Micky and Mike went on tour together and were the only ones with prominent roles on their last album.

I was so fortune to see Davy, Micky, and Peter live during their 1986 reunion tour... An experience that I will never ever forget!

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 02 Mar 2019, 06:35

Sadly, it sounds like a lingering, unpleasant illness that Peter suffered.

Over the years, Peter Tork and Michael Nesmith have struck me as a bit less showbiz than Jones or Dolenz, though this didn't necessarily show in the original TV series.

I do like The Monkees - although they were not The Beatles, they had much more to them than a boy band/children's TV act.