U2

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

User avatar
AdvertBreak
Posts: 5579
Joined: 24 Jan 2015, 17:34
Location: Gorgeous Wiltshire

Re: U2

Post by AdvertBreak » 30 Jan 2016, 02:32

I love that song. One the most under-appreciated songs on one of their most under-appreciated albums.

User avatar
Mark72
Posts: 1123
Joined: 07 Sep 2014, 09:52
Location: Oxford. U.K.
Contact:

Re: U2

Post by Mark72 » 08 Mar 2016, 01:18

They were awesome in this video
http://youtu.be/XlUPAdPjvlw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3223
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: U2

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 08 Mar 2016, 02:43

Mark72 wrote:They were awesome in this video
http://youtu.be/XlUPAdPjvlw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I agree...I just love "Rattle and Hum" in general! Both the album and film...such a wonderful concept at the time....."Angel of Harlem", "Helter Skelter", and "When Love Comes to Town" blows me away all the time....
Image

User avatar
Mark72
Posts: 1123
Joined: 07 Sep 2014, 09:52
Location: Oxford. U.K.
Contact:

Re: U2

Post by Mark72 » 01 Apr 2016, 00:12

cracking performance here! Is this a original U2 song? I don't recognise it...http://youtu.be/iXlsbEM9-CM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

User avatar
101reykjavik
Posts: 5303
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 20:26
Location: Beautiful Somerset

Re: U2

Post by 101reykjavik » 01 Apr 2016, 06:44

Apparently it's by an Irish band called Aslan.
Image

User avatar
AdvertBreak
Posts: 5579
Joined: 24 Jan 2015, 17:34
Location: Gorgeous Wiltshire

Re: U2

Post by AdvertBreak » 15 May 2016, 18:54

Review of PopMart Tour when it visited Leeds, 28 August 1997

But it analyses the album and the tour quite well, the "disappointment" and so forth. Overstates the comparisons between U2 and the Beatles a bit but well worth a read.

http://www.u2interference.com/8921-u2-a ... g-28-1997/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, check out the audio of the Leeds concert on YouTube. Wew.

User avatar
Mark72
Posts: 1123
Joined: 07 Sep 2014, 09:52
Location: Oxford. U.K.
Contact:

Re: U2

Post by Mark72 » 06 May 2017, 01:13

Soz to bump the thread. But this is the first time I have seen this video since the '90s! love the song and video brings back some old memories.
https://youtu.be/JFWPeVfWB9o" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3223
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: U2

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 06 May 2017, 01:43

Mark72 wrote:Soz to bump the thread. But this is the first time I have seen this video since the '90s! love the song and video brings back some old memories.
https://youtu.be/JFWPeVfWB9o" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That song/video was definitely worth the "bump"..... one of the best songs of the decade. Just proved how U2 could continue to evolve their music without ever selling out and alienating their fans. They are among the best at reinventing themselves.. "Achtung Baby" was the most significant/vital moment of their career. Several bands couldn't properly make the transition into the 90s, but they did in the best fashion!
Image

User avatar
101reykjavik
Posts: 5303
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 20:26
Location: Beautiful Somerset

Re: U2

Post by 101reykjavik » 09 May 2017, 21:17

Achtung Baby! was such a big album for me at the time. No need to apologise about the bump, that album and that song are true classics. You're right LouieLouie, it was the highlight of their career and what a time to pull it off. It effectively in ensured they had a future, both in terms of remaining musically relevant but also simply kept functioning as a band!
Image

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3223
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: U2

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 10 May 2017, 03:27

101reykjavik wrote:Achtung Baby! was such a big album for me at the time. No need to apologise about the bump, that album and that song are true classics. You're right LouieLouie, it was the highlight of their career and what a time to pull it off. It effectively in ensured they had a future, both in terms of remaining musically relevant but also simply kept functioning as a band!
Think about this.... they went from "Joshua Tree" and "Shake, Rattle, & Hum" (both are such classics) suddenly to "Achtung Baby"! How bands besides perhaps Blur, the Beach Boys, and the Beatles are that adept at quickly reinventing themselves without alienating their bands and/or selling out? And I think U2 did a more dramatic change compared to the others I mentioned. I admit that I was relatively mixed initially back then in the direction they took, but realized it was out of the necessity due to the music climate at the time. The only song in their catalog I've always despised was "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me" from "Batman Forever" soundtrack, but they promptly rebounded with "Pop" a couple of years later. Man... I'll never forget watching the "Zooropa" (another BRILLIANT album) Tour on Pay Per View back then, what an amazing concept that all was! I saw them in concert in 2009 and they were fantastic!
Image

User avatar
Mallard No. 22
Posts: 2447
Joined: 01 Oct 2014, 07:46
Location: North East UK

Re: U2

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 10 May 2017, 07:24

Yes I agree that if U2 hadn't got it right with 'Achtung Baby', they might have stagnated, and then faded away, during the 90s.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

User avatar
101reykjavik
Posts: 5303
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 20:26
Location: Beautiful Somerset

Re: U2

Post by 101reykjavik » 10 May 2017, 12:07

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:
101reykjavik wrote:Achtung Baby! was such a big album for me at the time. No need to apologise about the bump, that album and that song are true classics. You're right LouieLouie, it was the highlight of their career and what a time to pull it off. It effectively in ensured they had a future, both in terms of remaining musically relevant but also simply kept functioning as a band!
Think about this.... they went from "Joshua Tree" and "Shake, Rattle, & Hum" (both are such classics) suddenly to "Achtung Baby"! How bands besides perhaps Blur, the Beach Boys, and the Beatles are that adept at quickly reinventing themselves without alienating their bands and/or selling out? And I think U2 did a more dramatic change compared to the others I mentioned. I admit that I was relatively mixed initially back then in the direction they took, but realized it was out of the necessity due to the music climate at the time. The only song in their catalog I've always despised was "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me" from "Batman Forever" soundtrack, but they promptly rebounded with "Pop" a couple of years later. Man... I'll never forget watching the "Zooropa" (another BRILLIANT album) Tour on Pay Per View back then, what an amazing concept that all was! I saw them in concert in 2009 and they were fantastic!
Oh, I always liked that one. I remember buying the CD single. Was a little obsessed with it at the time and the video was ace.
Image

User avatar
Mark72
Posts: 1123
Joined: 07 Sep 2014, 09:52
Location: Oxford. U.K.
Contact:

Re: U2

Post by Mark72 » 10 May 2017, 19:58

I gave Achtung Baby, Zooropa and Pop a re listen this afternoon. I think the '90s were their best period and to me Pop is so underrated as a album and one of my favourite albums. It's a shame they bottled it and came out the such a MOR follow up!
Nice little documentary narrated by the late great Dennis Hopper about their career during that period.
https://youtu.be/y1dDWBLVwOk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

User avatar
AdvertBreak
Posts: 5579
Joined: 24 Jan 2015, 17:34
Location: Gorgeous Wiltshire

Re: U2

Post by AdvertBreak » 10 May 2017, 20:55

Pop is my 22nd favourite album ever, Zooropa my 28th.

User avatar
Mark72
Posts: 1123
Joined: 07 Sep 2014, 09:52
Location: Oxford. U.K.
Contact:

Re: U2

Post by Mark72 » 10 May 2017, 21:46

It's a shame there wasn't a 20th deluxe Pop album. But it seems to be all about The Joshua Tree's 30th at the moment.
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

Post Reply