BECK SURVIVOR: SEA CHANGE (WINNER: GUESS I'M DOING FINE)

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Miki

BECK SURVIVOR: SEA CHANGE (WINNER: GUESS I'M DOING FINE)

Post by Miki » 07 Sep 2015, 21:05

We're at album number eight in Beck's catalogue (going backwards), the achingly beautiful, critically acclaimed Sea Change (2002). Beck had been writing ballads and folk songs right from the beginning of his career, but in a music scene where the introspective singer-songwriter had fallen out of fashion, he had always been self-conscious about showcasing his more personal, sensitive songs (though there are a few real gems to be found!). Even with Sea Change he had been reluctant about recording the songs, the bulk of which came from a two-weeks writing session that followed the break-up with long term girlfriend Leigh Limon. A few of these songs Beck began to perform live as early as summer 2000 - like These Days I Barely Get By aka The Golden Age and Creole Belle (the latter will not make the album). There were also a few older songs, dating back from the early to mid 90s - It's All In Your Mind had been recorded and released as single in 1995; Little One had been written around Odelay time. Sea Change cemented Beck's credentials as a songwriter and received accolades all round. It is considered one of the best albums of the '00s, and in 2012 Rolling Stone added it to their list of 500 best albums of all times (at #436).

Once again, the rules: each song is a round, and each round you vote for your LEAST FAVOURITE song and that song will then be eliminated. When a song is eliminated the results will be posted and the album track list updated without the song that was voted off, and then we continue until we are left with one song from each album, the overall winner.

As before we will use the tracklist as it appears on the album standard edition.

1. The Golden Age
2. Paper Tiger
3. Guess I'm Doing Fine
4. Lonesome Tears
5. Lost Cause
6. End of the Day
7. It's All in Your Mind
8. Round the Bend
9. Already Dead
10. Sunday Sun
11. Little One
12. Side of the Road
Last edited by Miki on 13 Sep 2015, 10:22, edited 14 times in total.
I've been drifting along in the same stale old shoes
Loose ends tyin' a noose in the back of my mind...

tom_cas1

Re: BECK SURVIVOR: SEA CHANGE (Round 1)

Post by tom_cas1 » 07 Sep 2015, 21:17

Hmm I have to admit that I haven't listened to Sea Change as much as I probably should have and as a result I'm not familiar with all the songs as much as I'd like to be. But this thread gives me the chance to get into the album more. :)

I'll start with: Sunday Sun.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 07 Sep 2015, 21:19

Sunday Sun.

Consigliere_11

Post by Consigliere_11 » 07 Sep 2015, 21:21

Oh hey, it's that one survivor I can already take part in! :lol: Sea Change has been in my iPhone for quite some time (week or two, maybe) and I've been listening to bits and pieces everyday.

The one track that didn't hook me from the beginning and still hasn't is Sunday Sun . The vocals are a little bit higher than they should be and it's distinctively repetitive. I guess I'll go with that.
RIP Mr. Okay (April 2015 - March 2016)

Miki

Post by Miki » 07 Sep 2015, 21:23

tom_cas1 wrote:Hmm I have to admit that I haven't listened to Sea Change as much as I probably should have and as a result I'm not familiar with all the songs as much as I'd like to be. But this thread gives me the chance to get into the album more. :)

I'll start with: Sunday Sun.
hahahahaha! Starting with what's probably one of my favourite songs on the album - if you can have a favourite among these. Love the discordant piano and the noisy coda. This and Little One are perhaps the more slightly odd Sonic Youth-eques tracks on the album, and love them for that.

Here's Sunday Sun live https://youtu.be/y1C0DogJnxk?t=38s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sea Change is the album that hooked me to Beck. Love each and every one of these songs.

I think I'll go with Side of the Road. It's a beautiful beautiful acoustic ballad... but I have to vote for one.
Last edited by Miki on 07 Sep 2015, 21:38, edited 1 time in total.

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 07 Sep 2015, 21:31

I feel the same about Sea Change, Miki. It wasn't the first Beck album I heard but it was the first one that really clicked with me as I was sort of heartbroken when I discovered it. Quite typical I guess :lol: If Lost Cause doesn't win I'm gonna get mad.

Anyway, I wanna listen to the whole record at least once again before voting. I'll be back.

Miki

Post by Miki » 07 Sep 2015, 21:37

Lt Pinkerton wrote:I feel the same about Sea Change, Miki. It wasn't the first Beck album I heard but it was the first one that really clicked with me as I was sort of heartbroken when I discovered it. Quite typical I guess :lol: If Lost Cause doesn't win I'm gonna get mad.

Anyway, I wanna listen to the whole record at least once again before voting. I'll be back.
Oh no, not Lost Cause! Too obvious. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful song - they all are! - but it's the one song everyone knows, even if they never heard the album. It's the one song from Sea Change Beck still plays and even him plays it in autopilot, as if he has to. I love them all, but I think Paper Tiger, Sunday Sun, Little One are my candidates for the win. On the other hand Lonesome Tears... or Guess I'm Doin Fine (that would be my sentimental song... not the first Beck song I heard, but the first one that really hit me).

Jees... this is going to be hard.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 07 Sep 2015, 22:18

Apart from one or two songs I'm yet to actually fall in love with Sea Change.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 07 Sep 2015, 22:54

Side of the Road

Lost Cause may be obvious but it's such a great song. Maybe I'm not as tired of it as you are cause I don't follow Beck that much and I'm not so used to see him perform live, go through every setlist etc. I do understand that though, it happens to me as well with my favourite bands.

Miki

Post by Miki » 07 Sep 2015, 23:00

I can't say I'll be disappointed with any song winning this. It's such a beautiful album!

Talking of live shows... this is one of his best known - not least because it's on YouTube :D - and it's really great. One of the most poignant versions of Lonesome Tears. Beautiful. He did a lot of this kind of solo acoustic one-man-band shows during Sea Change time.

Beck - Live at Union Chapel, London (2003)

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 08 Sep 2015, 00:00

I indecisively go for Sunday Sun.

Miki

Re: BECK SURVIVOR: SEA CHANGE (Round 2)

Post by Miki » 08 Sep 2015, 10:47

Sad to see Sunday Sun go so early - one of my favourites. Generally speaking, there seems to be a preference for more straightforward songs and compositions, here. Which are great, but I guess I have a fondness for Beck's quirkier side.

Anyway...

Sunday Sun is eliminated with 4 votes.

The new tracklist goes as follows

1. The Golden Age
2. Paper Tiger
3. Guess I'm Doing Fine
4. Lonesome Tears
5. Lost Cause
6. End of the Day
7. It's All in Your Mind
8. Round the Bend
9. Already Dead
10. Little One
11. Side of the Road

I'll go with Side of the Road again.

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 08 Sep 2015, 11:49

Round the Bend

Upon re-listening, Side of the Road is nowhere near the worst track here.
Last edited by TripleJay97 on 08 Sep 2015, 13:02, edited 1 time in total.

Consigliere_11

Post by Consigliere_11 » 08 Sep 2015, 12:22

Side of the Road
RIP Mr. Okay (April 2015 - March 2016)

Miki

Post by Miki » 08 Sep 2015, 16:18

TripleJay97 wrote:Round the Bend

Upon re-listening, Side of the Road is nowhere near the worst track here.
Round the Bend is heavily inspired by Nick Drake (whom I love). Beck is a big fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUdtBFy ... 50A255531D" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;