The First Album You Ever Bought?...

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Mark72

The First Album You Ever Bought?...

Post by Mark72 » 28 Jul 2015, 23:42

For me I was aged 11 and I bought U2's Under A Blood Red Sky on vinyl in Woolworths in Cowley, Oxford. I still have it to this day!
Last edited by Mark72 on 29 Jul 2015, 00:04, edited 1 time in total.
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

Miki

Re: The First Album You Ever Bought..

Post by Miki » 28 Jul 2015, 23:44

An Italian pop singer none of you would know. It was 1980 and I was 12-13.

After that... probably the "Grease" Soundtrack.

Last edited by Miki on 29 Jul 2015, 00:01, edited 1 time in total.
I've been drifting along in the same stale old shoes
Loose ends tyin' a noose in the back of my mind...

tom_cas1

Re: The First Album You Ever Bought?...

Post by tom_cas1 » 28 Jul 2015, 23:49

This came out in 1997, can't remember exactly when I got it though. It was after the single "Man! I Feel Like a Woman!". Early 1999 according to Wikipedia.

EDIT: I can't find the CD, although it's around here somewhere. Thankfully it's on Apple Music. Oh what an album!

Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 28 Jul 2015, 23:52

and oasis morning glory.... i guess i was a lil canadian kid who thought he was british
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 28 Jul 2015, 23:54

I used to just listen my parents albums. Circa 2000/01, I had some Tweenies (kids show) cassettes, and my 4th birthday in 01 I received my own CD player and the Early Learning Centre kids-covering-hits CD "Cool Grooves", but I can't find it online, so here's a picture of my second album Pepsi Chart 2002

The first non-various artist album I owned was if I recall correctly U2's The Best of 1990-2000, for Christmas 2002

No idea what the first album I bought with my own money was though.

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 28 Jul 2015, 23:59

tom_cas1 wrote:This came out in 1997, can't remember exactly when I got it though. It was after the single "Man! I Feel Like a Woman!". Early 1999 according to Wikipedia.

EDIT: I can't find the CD, although it's around here somewhere. Thankfully it's on Apple Music. Oh what an album!

Taylor Swift's mum ! ;) :D
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 29 Jul 2015, 00:05

I would. ;)
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 29 Jul 2015, 06:26

Mine was Leisure!

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 29 Jul 2015, 07:02

Mine was this, Now 16 on double cassette, no less. :lol: I was 13. The draw for me in 1989 was Sowing The Seeds Of Love, tape one, side A, track one. Awful, awful dross as you would expect in the main. Big Fun, anyone? I'd forgotten De La Soul was on there though. I was too young and unsophisticated to appreciate the Kate Bush track at the time, though it was my first proper introduction to her music other than the odd radio play.

I ended up using it a couple of years later to record stuff on the radio. I think the cassettes are still knocking around somewhere, now filled up with things from Radio One I suspect.

The dual cassette format in all its magnificence:

Ambulance

Post by Ambulance » 29 Jul 2015, 09:31

Mine was a cassette 4 sure as i remember it perfectly, and was "Vulgar Display Of Power" by Pantera. Such a good memories :mrgreen:

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 29 Jul 2015, 18:37

101reykjavik wrote:Mine was this, Now 16 on double cassette, no less. :lol: I was 13. The draw for me in 1989 was Sowing The Seeds Of Love, tape one, side A, track one. Awful, awful dross as you would expect in the main. Big Fun, anyone? I'd forgotten De La Soul was on there though. I was too young and unsophisticated to appreciate the Kate Bush track at the time, though it was my first proper introduction to her music other than the odd radio play.

I ended up using it a couple of years later to record stuff on the radio. I think the cassettes are still knocking around somewhere, now filled up with things from Radio One I suspect.

The dual cassette format in all its magnificence:

I have that..on cassette! :lol: And CD, I used to collect the Nows.

The Now albums in this era were shit because they didn't even feature all the hits - in fact, Now 16 is the Now album to not have any number 1s on it! Black Box's Ride on Time was the biggest selling single that year but didn't feature on Now 16, which is a shame because, unlike most Eurodance, its a tune and a fucking half.

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 29 Jul 2015, 18:58

Well I didn't have any record store available near home so when I first went to buy a record I just got 4 of them. I think they were Modern Life is Rubbish, Weezer's Blue Album, Employment by Kaiser Chiefs and the last one was a Nirvana compilation which I got for free for having bought three other albums - which is funny considering I've never liked Nirvana :lol:

Peter Zeal

Post by Peter Zeal » 29 Jul 2015, 21:35

that's a pretty cool selection of albums. my first album was bad animals by heart. That's the album that has alone on it. very cheesy(well it was the 80s).

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 30 Jul 2015, 04:00

I don't know if this was the first record I ever bought, I vividly remember buying this 45 when I was 4 years old in 1984. My Mom kept on asking me if I was sure I wanted to spend my money on it.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 30 Jul 2015, 08:27

We had hit compilation albums in the household. Though IIRC the first one I went and bought myself was The Jam 'The Gift' (on cassette).
The_Jam's_The_Gift.png
The_Jam's_The_Gift.png (61.69 KiB) Viewed 2939 times
Mark72 wrote:For me I was aged 11 and I bought U2's Under A Blood Red Sky on vinyl in Woolworths in Cowley, Oxford. I still have it to this day!
This was one of the earliest albums I bought as well, as was 'War'.
101reykjavik wrote:Mine was this, Now 16 on double cassette, no less. :lol: I was 13. The draw for me in 1989 was Sowing The Seeds Of Love, tape one, side A, track one. Awful, awful dross as you would expect in the main. Big Fun, anyone? I'd forgotten De La Soul was on there though. I was too young and unsophisticated to appreciate the Kate Bush track at the time, though it was my first proper introduction to her music other than the odd radio play.
A time of contrasts, no doubt. In 1989, such compilation LPs had all the SAW dross. Next to such as a Guy Called Gerald and The Beloved. 'Sowing The Seeds Of Love' was one of the best songs at that time, probably in being a bit of a throwback to earlier more creative times.

Otherwise, only the cheesy music got the main radio airplay. A bit like 2015, really.... :roll: ;)
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."