NME to become a free sheet

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

101reykjavik

NME to become a free sheet

Post by 101reykjavik » 06 Jul 2015, 21:26

http://www.nme.com/news/various-artists/86702

I know, I know. NME is a bit of joke. But I find this quite sad, though unsurprising, news. Circulation is down to 15,000 I heard earlier on the radio. But what does this free sheet approach mean for the magazine? Is it at all sustainable? They say they focus grouped the target market and they are still prepared to consume print media but not pay for it, surprise, surprise. As with all content these days, whatever we may make of NME's content, younger generations are unused to paying for it. Challenging times to devise a profitable business model.

What does it mean for the actual contents of the NME? Whatever we may think of it, it's been a source of 'indie' music stories, news and reviews for a long time. Presumably a shift to being piled up for free in stations, shops and universities means it has to broaden its appeal as much as possible - so can we expect Taylor Swift on the cover for example? They're widening their remit to include film, fashion, politics, TV and gaming. Jack of all trades. Sounds like it's becoming the Metro of music mags.

Can't see this working medium to long term.
Last edited by 101reykjavik on 07 Jul 2015, 06:54, edited 1 time in total.

tom_cas1

Re: NME to become a free sheet

Post by tom_cas1 » 06 Jul 2015, 21:40

Well I'm no massive fan of the NME but this is sad news indeed. Film, fashion, politics, TV and gaming? Sounds like a poor mans Nuts magazine!! I didn't see an exact date in the article (unless I overlooked it), when is this meant to happen?
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 06 Jul 2015, 21:46

According to other articles it's happening in September.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33408435

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 06 Jul 2015, 21:51

I'll make a note of that, I'd like to get the last ever issue. I wonder what the free format will be, can't imagine it'll be the same magazine with the same amount of pages. Metro/Evening Standard sounds about right.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 06 Jul 2015, 22:52

tom_cas1 wrote:Well I'm no massive fan of the NME but this is sad news indeed.
This

twostep

Post by twostep » 07 Jul 2015, 01:02

An unfortunate inevitability. I'm surprised they clung on this long tbh. I bought NME religiously for years; in fact just a couple of weeks ago I got rid of the literally hundreds of issues that had been taking up storage room. NME was a big part of my identity throughout my teens - I still remember buying my first issue when I was twelve and reading it cover to cover. It sounds silly but I would carry the NME around at school to make sure people knew where my interests lay (as if they cared :lol: ). But it was always really a magazine for teenagers, so when generations of people stop being teenagers and the new teenagers don't buy magazines anymore they go under. It's no great tragedy - the world is changing. I don't doubt that millions of kids are as passionate about music as I was growing up - they're just used to getting all of their content online these days - and so am I really.
it's me, d4p

they would compare her to lilies, and she had to go to parties, and london was so dreary

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 07 Jul 2015, 11:54

Sad, I bought the NME and Melody Maker religiously every week from 1988 to 2000. And then just the NME occasionally until a few years ago, surprised it's lasted this long to be honest. I've still got a few blur covers and other bands I loved from the 90s in the loft!

I wonder in all those years which band had the most NME covers?
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 10 Jul 2015, 07:30

Yes, Mark 72 - I bought the NME, or Melody Maker (& sometimes both) for roughly the same period as you mention. Before internet, they took us through indie, baggy and Britpop. We found out who was gigging, where to book the tickets, who was releasing their next album and appearing on TV. :geek:

Currently if we want to know ongoing news about Blur, we come to this forum. But in Blur's days as a chart-bound artist of the youth, we went to the NME.

I stopped buying it as long ago as 2000. I seem to recall a lead story that "fans had trouble getting on to Radiohead's website" or similar. It struck me that life was moving towards the internet, but also that it was quite a non-story in itself. A triviality in comparison to a few years before when the NME told us that 'Screameadelica' was to be a benchmark of its time, Blur were reminding us how good music could be ('Parklife' was imminent) and Oasis were going to number one ('Some Might Say').

twostep - I used to carry it in my bag to work - I recall one guy in his 40s looking and saying " :o bloody hell, I haven't seen the NME since the days of The Small Faces" :)

tom - I think you are right, it will be dumbed down to the generic form. In this respect 101reykjavik, it is very likely to have Taylor Swift on the cover :P
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."