No
67%
Equal
33%

Total votes: 3

AdvertBreak

Slint

Post by AdvertBreak » 19 Jun 2015, 09:16

Great band! I first listened to Spiderland a couple of years ago, partly based on its huge critical acclaim and partly based on the fact they were the apparently second "post-rock" band after Talk Talk who were (and still are) one of my all time favourites [perhaps PiL are the first?] Of course, Talk Talk and Slint are nothing alike, but I wasn't let down at all. It took some listenings but I knew first time over it was great and going to be something special.

Of course, they have officially a very small discography and therefore it seems fairly easy to digest, but, again of course, scrolling through a special band once wouldn't be doing any favours for yourself, but you wouldn't want to hear it just once. It was obvious to me that Spiderland was damn good from first listen as I've already mentioned and would go on to be much more, as I've already mentioned. So... any fans?

Edit: Made a poll.
Last edited by AdvertBreak on 19 Jun 2015, 12:28, edited 2 times in total.

TripleJay97

Re: Slint

Post by TripleJay97 » 19 Jun 2015, 09:32

I love you for this thread.

Spiderland is one of my favourite albums. Although the production of the music is very bare-bones and simple, it manages to effectively convey unsettling atmospheres using irregular chord sections and odd rhythmic structure. It's the perfect record for walking around in a dark forest, relaxing but edgy.

I've never listened to their first album, but if it's anything like their second, it will be worth the time.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 19 Jun 2015, 09:37

Spot on about Spiderland. 8-) Tweez is a bit less intense in structure but probably more so in noise and even rawer in production (its a Steve Albini production afterall). Its not Spiderland but is still a very fine album nonetheless.

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 19 Jun 2015, 09:45

Albini? Excellent 8-)

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 03 Sep 2015, 02:56

slint is a good band
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

davidsutter

Post by davidsutter » 03 Sep 2015, 04:39

Slint are from my hometown of Louisville, Kentucky.
Something I didn't know when a friend from Minnesota was trying to get me into them like five years ago.
I dig Spiderland but I haven't heard Tweez. Should check it out sometime.

Rhys

Post by Rhys » 12 Oct 2015, 03:47

I've always heard a bit about Slint since I've delved into other bands, but I never really seeked out their music. I finally listened to Spiderland recently, and I gotta say, I really like it. Some of Brian McMahon's spoken word vocals are growing on me, but the instrumental side to the album is great!

Britt Walford's drumming is fantastic, and so is the guitar playing. I'm definitely going to be listening to it frequently, it's such an unique and dark album!