"Hip Hop Saved Music"

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

He's So High

Re: "Hip Hop Saved Music"

Post by He's So High » 08 May 2015, 22:36

dparrott wrote:
He's So High wrote: Fair enough if you don't like it as a genre, and have never liked it. I just think a few of us find it a bit frustrating when others put is as simply 'it was better in my day'!
OK, how about "it's changed too much and us old fans don't like it!"? The same could be said about Think Tank.
Fair enough!

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 09 May 2015, 01:53

Musically, I'm the school outcast. With a few exceptions, no one knows any of the music I listen to, and I don't care about the music they listen to.

I went through that "le wrong generation" shit. Then I got tired of Roger Waters whining about his dad.
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

dparrott

Post by dparrott » 09 May 2015, 14:48

Another problem for me is that hip hop is too serious now. We don't get any fun songs like Humpty Dance, Just A Friend or My Name Is anymore. Thankfully I recently discovered Professor Elemental, who is a blend of silliness and old school.

Miki

Post by Miki » 09 May 2015, 18:05

That's kind of my issue with hip-hop too. Rappers always seem pissed off! That's why Iike Gorillaz and from the Old School people like De La Soul and The Beastie Boys.
I've been drifting along in the same stale old shoes
Loose ends tyin' a noose in the back of my mind...

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 10 May 2015, 07:33

Any Death Grips fans? Just out of curiosity :)

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 10 May 2015, 07:59

I detest Kanye West and Kendrick Lamar....My favorite modern Hip Hop artists are Common, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Ceelo Green and Danger Mouse... I did love the late 70s-80s and most of the 90s era, but I cannot tolerate most of what is considered "mainstream"......

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 10 May 2015, 15:00

how can you say you love 80 and 90's hip hop era but "detest" kendrick lamar? king kunta from his new album is probably the best hip hop song i've heard in a very long time.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRK7PVJFbS8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

not liking something because it's mainstream is beyond my comprehension
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 12 May 2015, 06:33

Mallard No. 22 wrote:I am of the opinion that, certainly as far as the UK is concerned, 'musical shifts' occur more frequently than The Guardian article suggests.

Major cycles seem to last around seven years, e.g. 1955 rock n roll, 1962 The Beatles (& other beat groups), 1969 Heavy Rock, 1976 New Wave, 1983 electronic music, 1990 indie/rave, 1997 indie absorbed into the mainstream etc....
Miki wrote:I'd say that last big shift in popular music has been the advent of the digital format. The latest "revolution" has been less on the content and more about the way the content is delivered. Downloads first and streaming next have revolutionized the way music is consumed and shared.
I agree with this from the technology point of view (I was considering the creative angle :) ).

From the business angle, the CD encouraged the industry to re-issue its back catalogues, and some (myself included) think that this caused a dearth of good new music in the late 80s.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 13 May 2015, 10:13

Miki wrote:I'd say that last big shift in popular music has been the advent of the digital format. The latest "revolution" has been less on the content and more about the way the content is delivered. Downloads first and streaming next have revolutionized the way music is consumed and shared.
^This. It seems the controversial release methods for, say, In Rainbows, The Future is Medieval and Songs of Innocence are all more talked about than the music itself. In Rainbows is the exception of course but some people still marry it with the pay-what-you-want scheme. Likewise, Beyonce just dropping her album online without promotion or Ash's confusing A-Z series also more or less fall under this umbrella. This goes without mentioning downloading, streaming, pre-release oddities and what not on the whole (the comments about it all feeling a bit lonelier here now, only 16 days after The Magic Whip being released in the UK, is a fair enough example.)

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 14 May 2015, 08:23

metalhipslop wrote:how can you say you love 80 and 90's hip hop era but "detest" kendrick lamar? king kunta from his new album is probably the best hip hop song i've heard in a very long time.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRK7PVJFbS8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

not liking something because it's mainstream is beyond my comprehension

I just feel that Kendrick Lamar isn't original.... Just copying from the earlier periods..... When I mean mainstream.... I just tend classify "mainstream" as being rather synthetic sounding....rather generic..... but again we're all obviously entitled to our own taste/opinion(s).....

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 16 May 2015, 06:19

AdvertBreak wrote:
Miki wrote:I'd say that last big shift in popular music has been the advent of the digital format....
It seems the controversial release methods for, say, In Rainbows, The Future is Medieval and Songs of Innocence are all more talked about than the music itself.... Likewise, Beyonce just dropping her album online without promotion or Ash's confusing A-Z series also more or less fall under this umbrella. This goes without mentioning downloading, streaming, pre-release oddities....
Does the release of a new single/album have the same impact now, since it moved from being a physical object purchased from a shop?

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 16 May 2015, 12:52

Mallard No. 22 wrote:
AdvertBreak wrote:
Miki wrote:I'd say that last big shift in popular music has been the advent of the digital format....
It seems the controversial release methods for, say, In Rainbows, The Future is Medieval and Songs of Innocence are all more talked about than the music itself.... Likewise, Beyonce just dropping her album online without promotion or Ash's confusing A-Z series also more or less fall under this umbrella. This goes without mentioning downloading, streaming, pre-release oddities....
Does the release of a new single/album have the same impact now, since it moved from being a physical object purchased from a shop?
It's hard to say I think. People are always going to be excited about new music, and today with those examples they've been done in exciting ways, whereas people like myself would prefer the standard method (yeah, I'm young but being raised on CDs means I love actually going out to a shop and buying one, and as such I've never downloaded an album in my life). It's not like this with other entertainment industries obviously (and obviously, to some extent it can't be).

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 18 May 2015, 05:55

With a download, it is stored anonymously in a folder on a computer. And you forget that you've bought it :o

Whereas the physical object sits proudly on your shelf, and is identifiable.... :geek:

Manhoo

Post by Manhoo » 25 May 2015, 09:52

Sledge Hammer wrote:http://www.nme.com/news/the-beatles/85172

Omg this is such left wing pc crap, typical it's come from The Guardian...if anything hip hop is to blame for the state of the charts now with diabolical dung like Kanye West leading the way...
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 25 May 2015, 18:03

Manhoo wrote:
Sledge Hammer wrote:http://www.nme.com/news/the-beatles/85172

Omg this is such left wing pc crap, typical it's come from The Guardian...if anything hip hop is to blame for the state of the charts now with diabolical dung like Kanye West leading the way...
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
I'm not big on left-wing PC crap either, but this ain't that.
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners