"Hip Hop Saved Music"

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

SeverHense

Re: "Hip Hop Saved Music"

Post by SeverHense » 06 May 2015, 21:52

I like hip-hop, though I think it's in a similar state now to what rock music was in the mainstream 30-40 years ago (ie. lots of homogeneous and uninteresting music that the masses eat up in the mainstream, but quality music exists in the underground).

There's no denying that hip-hop revolutionized what music was. Music didn't have to me made with traditional instruments: it could be spoken word poetry overlayed onto beats.

And the use of sampling and breakbeat constructing/programming in hip-hop music was hugely influential to hardcore/jungle/drum and bass music as well as other electronic music styles in general.

It's not that the Beatles didn't can't be considered hugely influential on modern music, but it's just that they were were far from the only ones (see: The Beach Boys, The Velvet Underground, etc.), whereas hip-hop encompasses the innovations of thousands of artists over 40 something years.

dparrott

Post by dparrott » 07 May 2015, 00:01

I grew up with hip hop in the 80s, back when it was GOOD. It started to turn to crap in the late 90s, with a few exceptions. Back in the 80s/90s it was all about vocals: how good you were on the mic and/or how good the lyrics were and/or how entertaining it was. Now it's all about beats. Throw any clown on the mic over a "hot beat" and it'll be a hit. Freakin stupid. There is no respect for the art of rap today with some exceptions. And so many artists sound the same now. Back in the day there was more originality.

I think Drake, Kanye, Lil Wayne, 2 Chains, etc. all suck ass. I would say even Jay Z and Puff Daddy suck as well. Lack of vocal ability and/or boring voices to me. Popularity does not equate with talent.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 07 May 2015, 07:09

I am of the opinion that, certainly as far as the UK is concerned, 'musical shifts' occur more frequently than The Guardian article suggests. IIRC such commentators as Paul Gambaccini have also taken this view.

Major cycles seem to last around seven years, e.g. 1955 rock n roll, 1962 The Beatles (& other beat groups), 1969 Heavy Rock, 1976 New Wave, 1983 electronic music, 1990 indie/rave, 1997 indie absorbed into the mainstream etc....

I am less knowledgeable about music of the last decade or so, but if these cycles have continued, the last change would be around 2011 from when we have had a deference to 'corporate anthemic' music.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

Miki

Post by Miki » 07 May 2015, 14:27

I'd say that last big shift in popular music has been the advent of the digital format. The latest "revolution" has been less on the content and more about the way the content is delivered. Downloads first and streaming next have revolutionized the way music is consumed and shared. While vinyl and CDs have their own space in the story of recording, the different formats did not affect the way music was distributed - in pretty much the same way since records first were introduced in the early 20th century - in the same way digital sharing has done.

In the music production itself, computers now play a big role in how music is made and recorded.
I've been drifting along in the same stale old shoes
Loose ends tyin' a noose in the back of my mind...

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 07 May 2015, 15:16

dparrott wrote:I grew up with hip hop in the 80s, back when it was GOOD. It started to turn to crap in the late 90s, with a few exceptions. Back in the 80s/90s it was all about vocals: how good you were on the mic and/or how good the lyrics were and/or how entertaining it was. Now it's all about beats. Throw any clown on the mic over a "hot beat" and it'll be a hit. Freakin stupid. There is no respect for the art of rap today with some exceptions. And so many artists sound the same now. Back in the day there was more originality.

I think Drake, Kanye, Lil Wayne, 2 Chains, etc. all suck ass. I would say even Jay Z and Puff Daddy suck as well. Lack of vocal ability and/or boring voices to me. Popularity does not equate with talent.
Everything you said is spot on, especially the bit I emphasized.

The Rock and Roll Chemist: http://www.rnrchemist.blogspot.com
Twitter: @rocknrollchem http://www.twitter.com/rocknrollchem

He's So High

Post by He's So High » 07 May 2015, 16:42

^so you guys honestly don't think Kendrick Lamar is a talented rapper and/or his lyrics are pretty darn special?

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 07 May 2015, 17:24

He's So High wrote:^so you guys honestly don't think Kendrick Lamar is a talented rapper and/or his lyrics are pretty darn special?
Nope

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 07 May 2015, 17:36

Madvillainy... <3

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 07 May 2015, 17:47

MrMagpie wrote:
dparrott wrote:I grew up with hip hop in the 80s, back when it was GOOD. It started to turn to crap in the late 90s, with a few exceptions. Back in the 80s/90s it was all about vocals: how good you were on the mic and/or how good the lyrics were and/or how entertaining it was. Now it's all about beats. Throw any clown on the mic over a "hot beat" and it'll be a hit. Freakin stupid. There is no respect for the art of rap today with some exceptions. And so many artists sound the same now. Back in the day there was more originality.

Everything you said is spot on, especially the bit I emphasized.
Correct - End Of Thread :D

dparrott

Post by dparrott » 07 May 2015, 19:38

I'll give it up for Kendrick, not my style but he's got skills, and great beats on his last album.

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 07 May 2015, 19:47

I'm sorry, but the only argument against modern rap I see here is the same old "everything was better when I was young". Not enough for me.

mr_spenalzo

Post by mr_spenalzo » 07 May 2015, 20:07

Bunch of grumpy old men should stay in The Beatles thread 8-)

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 08 May 2015, 00:29

a lot of genres go stale in quality over time and return to shine again every now again. examples... pop, metal, punk, rock, country (i havent heard a good country song since johnny cash died)... loads of people growing up bash hip hop because it apparantly is only "money gunz and sex" until they actually listen.
i've heard a lot of good new rap music like kendrick lamar, asap rocky, nicki minaj, 2chainz. there is probably more... i think, but kenrdick lamar is definitely the best since... madvillain. the thing is too is that a lop of new rap artists don't make great albums, you have albums with a couple good songs here and there surrounded by shit. this is where i think kendrick lamar stands different cause his 2 albums are great albums that use the album as an art form instead of just an extra way to make some money.. you know?

there isn't really much else worth listening to in the mainstream. what else is there? besides when GORILLAZ come along every 5 years to breath some life.
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 08 May 2015, 07:17

I don't think Kanye is particularly skilled in the vocal department, but the production, variety and imagination on his albums make them worth listening to.

Caitlin

Post by Caitlin » 08 May 2015, 08:02

Lt Pinkerton wrote:I'm sorry, but the only argument against modern rap I see here is the same old "everything was better when I was young". Not enough for me.
THIS!