"Hip Hop Saved Music"

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Sledge Hammer

"Hip Hop Saved Music"

Post by Sledge Hammer » 06 May 2015, 17:44

http://www.nme.com/news/the-beatles/85172" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Omg this is such left wing pc crap, typical it's come from The Guardian...if anything hip hop is to blame for the state of the charts now with diabolical dung like Kanye West leading the way...

Lt Pinkerton

Re: "Hip Hop Saved Music"

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 06 May 2015, 17:49

Don't see the problem there. Kanye West is amazing, there is a lot of great rap music and I think hip-hop has had a bigger role shaping society than any band from the 60s, even though I love The Beatles.

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 06 May 2015, 17:50

Lt Pinkerton wrote:Don't see the problem there. Kanye West is amazing, there is a lot of great rap music and I think hip-hop has had a bigger role shaping society than any band from the 60s, even though I love The Beatles.
Shaping society?!?! you must live in London or something...Kanye West on the Brit Awards was the most appalling thing i've ever seen!

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 06 May 2015, 17:54

Sledge Hammer wrote:
Lt Pinkerton wrote:Don't see the problem there. Kanye West is amazing, there is a lot of great rap music and I think hip-hop has had a bigger role shaping society than any band from the 60s, even though I love The Beatles.
Shaping society?!?! you must live in London or something...Kanye West on the Brit Awards was the most appalling thing i've ever seen!
Nope, I don't, and I haven't watched Kanye's performance at the Brits nor I care about it. Blur were also shit at the Brits, who cares. Kanye has released some two of the best albums of the 2010s, that's enough for me. And yes, hip-hop has obviously had -and still has- a major influence on racial issues. I really don't see any controversy around here.

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 06 May 2015, 17:58

I blame Chris Stien and Debbie Harry for introducing rapture to the world ;) but I loved Def Jam recording era from the '80s. Run DMC, The Beastie Boys, LL cool J and The Fantastic Public Enemy.

Oh and I love a bit of Da La Soul.
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 06 May 2015, 18:01

Mark72 wrote:I blame Chris Stien and Debbie Harry for introducing rapture to the world ;) but I loved Def Jam recording era from the '80s. Run DMC, The Beastie Boys, LL cool J and The Fantastic Public Enemy.

Oh and I love a bit of Da La Soul.
Yeah I like all those you've mentioned but that article is bullshit...

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 06 May 2015, 18:07

I don't mind the occasional Public Enemy, De La Soul, ATCQ and numerous others and I like Beastie Boys and OutKast but hip hop isn't my thing. I respect Kanye West as an artist and Yeezus was pretty good but I get the impression that even if he wasn't overrated imo, he'd still be a twat.

He's So High

Post by He's So High » 06 May 2015, 18:27

So this is just a thread to demonstrate that Sledge Hammer doesn't like Hip Hop?

Miki

Post by Miki » 06 May 2015, 18:27

I don't like hip-hop, especially contemporary hip-hop, but there is no denying that hip-hop as music form has been one of the most revolutionaries in the last 30 years. In fact it was the last time music really experienced a big shift. I don't think though it is fair to say that the 60s didn't shape a lot of music and society. That's disingenuous and probably just a bit of click-bait controversy.

In my view, the three big shifts in modern music have been the electric guitar, which helped shape rock, the synth and the advent of electronic music, and the art of sampling and scratching, which with rap gave life to hip-hop. Popular music today is built on those three corner-stones. But nothing has come along since to move things forward in a big way.
Last edited by Miki on 06 May 2015, 21:02, edited 2 times in total.
I've been drifting along in the same stale old shoes
Loose ends tyin' a noose in the back of my mind...

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 06 May 2015, 19:34

Rap/hip-hop in the 1980s and early to mid 1990s was still pretty cool...it was different, there was talent involved in its making, and the rappers were talking about real life, their experiences, etc. It gave a voice to inner city folks and made you think whether you could relate to it or not. Since then, it's been all garbage...tuneless trash and all about "guns, hos, drugs, killing the man, etc" and has arguably done more harm than good to society.

The Rock and Roll Chemist: http://www.rnrchemist.blogspot.com
Twitter: @rocknrollchem http://www.twitter.com/rocknrollchem

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 06 May 2015, 19:39

Gangsta rap killed it for me.. Far too graphic violence for me.
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

Miki

Post by Miki » 06 May 2015, 21:01

MrMagpie wrote:Rap/hip-hop in the 1980s and early to mid 1990s was still pretty cool...it was different, there was talent involved in its making, and the rappers were talking about real life, their experiences, etc. It gave a voice to inner city folks and made you think whether you could relate to it or not. Since then, it's been all garbage...tuneless trash and all about "guns, hos, drugs, killing the man, etc" and has arguably done more harm than good to society.
Yes, like so many other genres it started as music of the people, coming from the street... like folk music and blues, it had its root in the subculture of the time. And like all sub/counter cultures, as soon as it was absorbed by the main stream, it corrupted. That said, there are some interesting artists coming out of the scene. Kendrick Lamar, for example, has made a great album - some of it even I like, and I'm not all that keen on hip-hop.
I've been drifting along in the same stale old shoes
Loose ends tyin' a noose in the back of my mind...

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 06 May 2015, 21:06

If there's something bad that can be said about rap is that it's certainly mysoginist, which is a shame. But it's been extremely effective as a tool for narrowing social differences between racial groups, that's undeniable. However, there's no need to undervalue The Beatles and the Stones in order to praise rap and hip-hop. My point of view in a nutshell: that article's pure shit, rap's great and influential.

He's So High

Post by He's So High » 06 May 2015, 21:15

Really disagree that it's not as good now as it used to be. I genuinely think both Kanye and Kendrick Lamar will go down as all-time greats. All the more impressive that they manage to achieve commercial success as well.

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 06 May 2015, 21:17

He's So High wrote:Really disagree that it's not as good now as it used to be. I genuinely think both Kanye and Kendrick Lamar will go down as all-time greats. All the more impressive that they manage to achieve commercial success as well.
100% agree with this. I'm not sure if better albums than My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy and To Pimp A Butterfly have been released in the past few years. Certainly not many.