Jefferson Airplane Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

KingLouieLouie76

Jefferson Airplane Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 23 Apr 2015, 01:30

Yes, we can discuss here... Jefferson Airplane, Jefferson Starship, Starship, Hot Tuna, and/or any other project that the members have been involved in.... One of my all-time fave bands... Can go on and on! Anyone else into them?

DrSleepless

Re: Jefferson Airplane Thread

Post by DrSleepless » 23 Apr 2015, 02:44

Probably best if we don't discuss the Starship era.

"We built this city on Rock and Roll" :shock:

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 23 Apr 2015, 05:58

DrSleepless wrote:Probably best if we don't discuss the Starship era.

Agreed on that one! :lol: Or anything that was released after Kantner initially left the band...,

Regarding Jefferson Starship... it's difficult for me to pick a favorite era in terms of whenever Balin and/or Thomas were the lead-singer..... However, the best line-up featured Aynsley Dunbar on drums!

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 23 Apr 2015, 06:59

One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small...

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 23 Apr 2015, 18:57

TripleJay97 wrote:One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small...

Amen! Want to watching something "tripped-out"? How about this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0nz_ilXrpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 27 Apr 2015, 06:23

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:

Agreed on that one! :lol:
Yes, I third that as well.

I was surprised when I found that Albert Hammond wrote 'Nothing Gonna Stop Us Now'. This is the man who had been responsible for 'The Air That I Breathe'.... :!:

Looking at it from now, it could be said that they descended into 80s power ballad hell when Kantner left. But then again, music was descending into that anyway, with or without him.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 28 Apr 2015, 06:00

Mallard No. 22 wrote:
KingLouieLouie76 wrote:

Agreed on that one! :lol:
Yes, I third that as well.

I was surprised when I found that Albert Hammond wrote 'Nothing Gonna Stop Us Now'. This is the man who had been responsible for 'The Air That I Breathe'.... :!:

Looking at it from now, it could be said that they descended into 80s power ballad hell when Kantner left. But then again, music was descending into that anyway, with or without him.

What's so odd...the Jefferson Airplane reunited (sans drummer, the late Spencer Dryden), for a full length album in 1989 and they picked-up exactly where the Starship left-off, even though Kantner detested that generic ballad sound, but again some unfortunately compromise their creativity for commercial gain and obviously the money.... '

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 30 Apr 2015, 06:17

He will have had to comply with whatever was popular at the time. :|

We are back with the 'generic ballad' in current music - even Paul McCartney's recent single is an example of it.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 30 Apr 2015, 15:28

Mallard No. 22 wrote:He will have had to comply with whatever was popular at the time. :|

We are back with the 'generic ballad' in current music - even Paul McCartney's recent single is an example of it.
And I believe it's only going to get worse....But I don't want to dominate two threads regarding the current sordid of today's music industry! Jefferson Airplane/Jefferson Starship would be the best band on the market if they were newer today, but instead came out at the wrong time and got overlooked (like I mentioned regarding Hollis under the Talk Talk thread)....

I love this 1975 footage of Jefferson Starship! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP5dc8gQqAI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Captured how creative each and every member at that time was! Pete Sears (mainly bass here) is a vastly underrated musician and Craig Chaquico (lead-guitarist) was around 21 at the time.....

Highlights definitely are Sears bass solo and Chaquico rocking "White Rabbit".....

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 03 May 2015, 07:14

That's rockin', by 1975 standards :D

I am not familiar with all their work, but they were still potent at the time of their 1980 UK hit single 'Jane'.

It was the late-80s singles that did little for me - they epitomised the musical blandness of that time.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 04 May 2015, 03:18

Mallard No. 22 wrote:That's rockin', by 1975 standards :D

I am not familiar with all their work, but they were still potent at the time of their 1980 UK hit single 'Jane'.

It was the late-80s singles that did little for me - they epitomised the musical blandness of that time.

Well..initially you had Jefferson Airplane transitioning into Jefferson Starship...that happened from '74-'78 when original lead-singer JA lead-singer, Marty Balin was in the band and their BIGGEST hit was "Miracles".....He was eventually replaced by Mickey Thomas (who was formerly with Elvin Bishop) and they started with a heavy influence of Kantner's "Sci-Fi Rock", but gradually that waned starting in '82 to the more "Adult Oriented" sound that was too commercial.

"Jane" definitely was one of the top hits w/Mickey Thomas, but here's another classic from that time period: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj4gqJzlIvc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I could go on and on further w/more recommendations, that is if you're interested.....

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 07 May 2015, 05:19

They remind me of Fleetwood Mac - in that they began amidst the idealism of the late 60s, led a full-on rock star life through the 70s with its excesses (& downers). Then became 80s MOR favourites.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 07 May 2015, 06:49

Mallard No. 22 wrote:They remind me of Fleetwood Mac - in that they began amidst the idealism of the late 60s, led a full-on rock star life through the 70s with its excesses (& downers). Then became 80s MOR favourites.

You nailed it! Excellent comparison.... Fleetwood Mac starts out obviously with Peter Green, Jeremy Spencer, and eventually Danny Kirwan joining forces.... Jefferson Airplane have innovative musicians who fused rock and blues as well, Jorma Kaukonen who later was joined by Jack Casady.... They initially had a revolving door w/drummers (which even continued w/JS and Starship), Grace Slick replaced original female singer, Signe Toly Anderson.... And then they added other personnel to help expand their sound like the Grateful Dead and Traffic did...... But their sound became more commercial with some main contributors coming and going.... Now, Jefferson Starship still tours, but only Paul Kantner (only active JA member) and David Freiberg (who joined JA during their final days and remained w/JS until they reduced to Starship) still involved....Danny Baldwin (who replaced Aynsley Dunbar on drums circa '82) still is active as well, but to me he's horrid....

But yes....that is a solid comparison indeed!

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 29 Jan 2016, 01:58

RIP, Paul! https://www.yahoo.com/music/paul-kantne ... 27400.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 29 Jan 2016, 16:59

It really hasn't been a good January. :(
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...