Supergrass Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

KingLouieLouie76

Supergrass Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 28 Mar 2015, 11:28

I've seen them mentioned quite a but in the forum, but noticed no threads dedicated to them (until now).....I wish they would finally settle their creative differences and reunite! They were one of the most innovative bands in the mid-90s until the time they broke-up...I really didn't get heavily into them until their self-titled album, but lord did I fall in love w/"Life On Other Planets" upon my first listen....Who else enjoys them as much as I?

Rubi

Re: Supergrass Thread

Post by Rubi » 28 Mar 2015, 11:35

Yep, like them a lot, too. I also had my phase when I was listening to them non-stop for some time. The first three albums are fantastic. Not really keen on Life on Other Planets and the last one. Road to Rouen is pretty nice and chill, though. St. Petersburg could possibly be my favorite Supergrass song.

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 28 Mar 2015, 12:19

I absolutely LOVE Supergrass. The first album is young, fun, ragged pop - great stuff. Thereafter their sound matured and it became blatently obvious what an incredibly talented and versatile group they were. In It For The Money, s/t and Life On Other Planets are all of a piece for me as brilliant albums. Road to Rouen introduced a more downbeat, mature sound and I enjoyed that immensely too, but a sense of diminishing returns was creeping in at the edges for me. Diamond Hoo Ha was a good, solid final album but I think it did seem like a sensible place to stop. It was treading water a bit compared to their previous efforts.

Not sure I'd clamour for a reunion just yet personally. In a moment of nostalgic excitement I'd of course jump at the chance of seeing them again in the Bristol or Birmingham Academy, for example, like the old days. But, overall, it's best left for the time being in my opinion. Gaz has really hit his stride on his second solo album, Matador. His first, Here Come The Bombs, felt a little like he was still throwing off the shackles of his old band. It was an enjoyable album, but it sounded like you'd expect from a Supergrass record really. Metador feels like he's evolving nicely as a songwriter in a new direction and I'd like to see where he goes with that on another album or two before any reunion ideas were mooted.

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 28 Mar 2015, 16:23

Just played I Should Coco and In It For The Money for the first time in years, I'd forgotten how good Sitting Up Straight is! I don't think I've ever gone further than that, which album should I listen to next?

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 28 Mar 2015, 16:43

Lt Pinkerton wrote:Just played I Should Coco and In It For The Money for the first time in years, I'd forgotten how good Sitting Up Straight is! I don't think I've ever gone further than that, which album should I listen to next?
The self-titled, definitely.

mr_spenalzo

Post by mr_spenalzo » 28 Mar 2015, 19:23

Lt Pinkerton wrote:Just played I Should Coco and In It For The Money for the first time in years
I recently tried to listen to I Should Coco for the first time since the 90s, and it wasn't anywhere near as good as I remembered (or thought) - I didn't make it to the end... I guess it's a lot better when you're 16 and it's summer (when I loved it to pieces).

Must try In It For The Money and Road To Rouen... those were also wonderful at the time of release, maybe they stood the test of time a bit better for me.

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 28 Mar 2015, 21:47

"Moving" is probably one of my favorite all time songs.

I didn't like their last album at all but I loved all of the other ones.

I saw them live twice. I'm pretty sure I have a set list from one as I was in the front row.I'll look for it.

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 28 Mar 2015, 22:17

mr_spenalzo wrote:
Lt Pinkerton wrote:Just played I Should Coco and In It For The Money for the first time in years
I recently tried to listen to I Should Coco for the first time since the 90s, and it wasn't anywhere near as good as I remembered (or thought) - I didn't make it to the end... I guess it's a lot better when you're 16 and it's summer (when I loved it to pieces).

Must try In It For The Money and Road To Rouen... those were also wonderful at the time of release, maybe they stood the test of time a bit better for me.
Yeah, I first listened to Coco when I was 13 and I remember being so thrilled about it! That didn't happen this time (not that I'm getting old, I'm still in in my very early twenties :mrgreen: ) and it didn't resonate like that but it's still such a fun pop record. In It For The Money is probably a more rewarding listen though. I'll have to check the self-titled out!

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 29 Mar 2015, 08:35

I liked 'I Should CoCo' at the time - it seemed to have one good track after another. One of the great Britpop albums.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 29 Mar 2015, 09:48

I'm just getting into them now. Loving Caught by the Fuzz and Mansize Rooster, Alright is a classic of course.

Daysleeper

Post by Daysleeper » 29 Mar 2015, 19:08

I love the first 3 albums, after that I think it went further downhill with each subsequent album.

Saw them on their farewell tour, was a fantastic gig. Played 3 songs from each album had screens with the news at that time on. They obviously started with the most recent and worked back to ensure the gig picked up as it went!

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 30 Mar 2015, 03:38

I haven't heard much of their early stuff but I absolutely LOVE Road to Rouen. Great album!
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 30 Mar 2015, 13:51

HUGE fan. Love all of their album, no doubt one of the finest bands. I wish they'd release the final album that's in the can...we want Release the Drones!

I saw them twice back in 2002 in a small sweaty club in Boston. So loud and great. Ended up with a drumstick and a set list but my sister stole them both from me!

The Rock and Roll Chemist: http://www.rnrchemist.blogspot.com
Twitter: @rocknrollchem http://www.twitter.com/rocknrollchem

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 30 Mar 2015, 17:08

Love the band! Saw them twice in the 90s and the last ever gig at the regal in Cowley a few years ago. And they have there own blue plaque at the Jericho tavern in Oxford.....Good Oxford Lads ;)

Favourite Album for me is "In it for Money"

Video for My favourite single of theirs Richard III
https://youtu.be/UnXrrOxzZCE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 30 Mar 2015, 17:34

In it for the Money is great, but I've not the entirety of any of their other albums. Road to Roeun intrigues me most.