Noel Gallagher's solo stuff - yes or no?

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Neal Zeal

Re: Noel Gallagher's solo stuff - yes or no?

Post by Neal Zeal » 27 Jul 2015, 08:36

Lt Pinkerton wrote:I love Noel but there's no way he's a better songwriter than Damon. The guy obviously has a great sense for melody but he's nowhere near Damon in any aspect. That's not to say he's bad, it's just that Damon's way better, although it is true that Noel has always written on his own while Damon's always had help. I think he grew tired of writing songs in the early 2000s and just became too comfortable with Oasis (releasing an album every three years, never getting too far out from his comfort zone). I hope that would change with his solo career but it hasn't so far. The songs are clearly better than anything on Oasis' last albums but he hasn't developed as an artist as I thought he would. He should've released the collaboration album with AA and kindly tell Dave Sardy to fuck off :lol:
When I say Noel is a better songwriter, I mean in 2015, not overall. I'd say Damon's written many better songs than Noel over the years but Damon's ability to write truly great melodies appears to have deserted him.
Everyday Robots and TMW are both albums full of pretty good songs - there is nothing amazing on either.
Noel still seems able to write brilliant singalong melodies - Damon doesn't, or some would say just chooses not to (although I don't really believe this). Damon remains the better musician (a more talented multi-instrumentalist), a much better arranger (he can arrange songs into pretty much any style of music) and a more imaginative songwriter. But he simply can't seem to find those killer melodies anymore whereas Noel can.
Last edited by Neal Zeal on 27 Jul 2015, 12:00, edited 2 times in total.

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 27 Jul 2015, 09:18

Neal Zeal wrote:When I saw Noel is a better songwriter, I mean in 2015, not overall. I'd say Damon's written many better songs than Noel over the years but Damon's ability to write truly great melodies appears to have deserted him.
Everyday Robots and TMW are both albums full of pretty good songs - there is nothing amazing on either.
Noel still seems able to write brilliant singalong melodies - Damon doesn't, or some would say just chooses not to (although I don't really believe this). Damon remains the better musician (a more talented multi-instrumentalist), a much better arranger (he can arrange songs into pretty much any style of music) and a more imaginative songwriter. But he simply can't seem to find those killer melodies any more whereas Noel can.
You high?

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 27 Jul 2015, 16:58

:shock:

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 27 Jul 2015, 18:41

Anyway, I saw Noel live last week and he was truly great. He's getting better as a frontman and his band is pretty tight. He's playing Digsy's Dinner live, which is weird but still quite fun.

He's also posted on Instagram that he's gonna start working on 'a secret project' during the next sixth months. Here's hoping there's a new album (not with HFB) in 2016.

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 28 Jul 2015, 03:37

Lt Pinkerton wrote:Anyway, I saw Noel live last week and he was truly great. He's getting better as a frontman and his band is pretty tight. He's playing Digsy's Dinner live, which is weird but still quite fun.

He's also posted on Instagram that he's gonna start working on 'a secret project' during the next sixth months. Here's hoping there's a new album (not with HFB) in 2016.
Digsy's Diner and Fade Away were two of the highlights for me when I saw Noel back in May

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 28 Jul 2015, 09:53

Noel's desert island discs

1. The Sex Pistols – 'Pretty Vacant'
2. David Bowie – 'Let's Dance'
3. Pink Floyd – 'Nobody Home'
4. The Smiths – 'Hand In Glove'
5. A Guy Called Gerald – 'Voodoo Ray'
6. U2 – 'With Or Without You'
7. The Ronettes – 'Be My Baby'
8. The Beatles – 'Ticket To Ride'
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

Ambulance

Post by Ambulance » 29 Jul 2015, 09:52

I love oasis and i love Noel´s solo stuff, even more than oasis. I think he is an excellent songwritter, and the 2 records he putted out are fantastic.

bugman

Post by bugman » 29 Jul 2015, 22:23

Ambulance wrote:I love oasis and i love Noel´s solo stuff, even more than oasis. I think he is an excellent songwritter, and the 2 records he putted out are fantastic.
exactly!

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 30 Jul 2015, 08:11

Neal Zeal wrote:When I say Noel is a better songwriter, I mean in 2015, not overall. I'd say Damon's written many better songs than Noel over the years but Damon's ability to write truly great melodies appears to have deserted him.
Noel still seems able to write brilliant singalong melodies - Damon doesn't, or some would say just chooses not to (although I don't really believe this). Damon remains the better musician (a more talented multi-instrumentalist), a much better arranger (he can arrange songs into pretty much any style of music) and a more imaginative songwriter. But he simply can't seem to find those killer melodies anymore whereas Noel can.
:!:

Many may not agree (partly because of their allegiance to Blur). But I think there are some very good points above, Neal.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 07 Aug 2015, 03:31

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O09bKwN_PPM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just watched this interview with Noel... goddamn he's hilarious, quite possibly the funniest man in rock. He always gives an entertaining interview.

Consigliere_11

Post by Consigliere_11 » 07 Aug 2015, 07:03

^ :lol: Awesome interview
RIP Mr. Okay (April 2015 - March 2016)

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 08 Aug 2015, 18:51

"Hello, this is deadmau5, without the fuckin stupid hat" fucking amazing

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 11 Aug 2015, 06:03

Seems on good form in recent interviews I have seen.

Probably not overdoing the substances now.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 21 Aug 2015, 21:46

Nice interview from 2000
http://youtu.be/iUup0dtwDD8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 25 Sep 2017, 15:02

New NGHFB album coming out November 24th... "Who Built the Moon?" Trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRplVmpZCa8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wooooo! Gonna be a good couple of months for me. New Liam, new Moz, then new Noel. Sounds like it may be a departure from Noel's previous go to sounds... quite exciting!