Page 4 of 7

Re: R.E.M. Thread

Posted: 01 May 2015, 10:48
by jordanmoore
He's So High wrote:Just listening to New Adventures in Hi-Fi, and I think it might be my favourite Warner album (or at least equal with AFTP). I love how they pushed at the boundaries of experimentation, yet it still sounds defiantly like R.E.M. It really takes on a lot of styles as well, but somehow still sounds unified.

Some of my all-time favourites on here: E-Bow the Letter, Electrolite, How the West Was Won etc, So Fast So Numb. Any other love for this record?
I do like it - particularly Binky the Doormat :)

Re: R.E.M. Thread

Posted: 01 May 2015, 10:54
by jordanmoore
Lt Pinkerton wrote:So I checked Murmur out and finally decided that it was great, but they're still not grabbing me as I think they should do. It may have to do with Stipe's voice, dunno. My favourite track has to be Sitting Still, it has a lovely jangly pop sound.
I think I'm in the same boat as you on this one. The thing is: I own a few REM records - New Adventures in Hi-Fi, Up, Reveal, Out of Time, AFTP - the thing about them is I want to like them more than I do. I struggle with their earlier sound, I think it's because their catalogue is so huge and diverse that it's hard for new fans to comprehend. I know I've probably started at the wrong end of their career, although I've got myself in the situation where that's the REM sound I like and the early stuff just doesn't grab me as much.

Re: R.E.M. Thread

Posted: 01 May 2015, 11:00
by He's So High
^ I think R.E.M.'s catalogue can be a bit intimidating for newcomers. The earlier stuff is more critically acclaimed, but as you said pretty different to the famous major label stuff. It's also not packed full of hits (at least until you get to Document). I would urge you to persevere though!

In my eyes it's some of the greatest pop/rock music ever. Maybe try Green or Document which are a little earlier but still relatively accessible?

Re: R.E.M. Thread

Posted: 01 May 2015, 12:28
by AdvertBreak
New Adventures in Hi-Fi is one I find quickly wanders off and then only has flashes of songs I really like that much. HTWWW is a very nice opener and the more upbeat rockers that follow are just as good, especially Undertow. Then from E-Bow its a bit hit and miss.

Re: R.E.M. Thread

Posted: 01 May 2015, 15:27
by MrMagpie
Binky the Doormat is a killer from Hi-Fi. In a lot of ways, I like it better than Monster. Hi-Fi, to me, sounds like the band being experimental and reaching for new things. Failing sometimes, but always interesting. I like Monster but it's a bit too straight ahead and lacking in dynamics (musically and thematically) to hold my interest for as long.

Re: R.E.M. Thread

Posted: 01 May 2015, 15:37
by AdvertBreak
MrMagpie wrote:Binky the Doormat is a killer from Hi-Fi. In a lot of ways, I like it better than Monster. Hi-Fi, to me, sounds like the band being experimental and reaching for new things. Failing sometimes, but always interesting. I like Monster but it's a bit too straight ahead and lacking in dynamics (musically and thematically) to hold my interest for as long.
Binky is probably my favourite track on the second half and I agree with you on Monster. IMO the most interesting, not the best but most interesting experimentally, is easily Up. Airportman through to Hope especially. Nice variation of styles there that they hadn't really come near to before.

Re: R.E.M. Thread

Posted: 01 May 2015, 16:05
by Sean
I think Monster is dire. Easily their worst record while Bill was still in the band. In fact it's the only bad one.

Re: R.E.M. Thread

Posted: 01 May 2015, 16:06
by TripleJay97
Sean wrote:I think Monster is dire. Easily their worst record while Bill was still in the band. In fact it's the only bad one.
I disagree. Monster kicks ass. MY CRUSHHH... WITH EYELINER

Re: R.E.M. Thread

Posted: 01 May 2015, 16:54
by Lt Pinkerton
Murmur is fucking amazing. I'm in.

Re: R.E.M. Thread

Posted: 01 May 2015, 17:32
by MrMagpie
AdvertBreak wrote:
MrMagpie wrote:Binky the Doormat is a killer from Hi-Fi. In a lot of ways, I like it better than Monster. Hi-Fi, to me, sounds like the band being experimental and reaching for new things. Failing sometimes, but always interesting. I like Monster but it's a bit too straight ahead and lacking in dynamics (musically and thematically) to hold my interest for as long.
Binky is probably my favourite track on the second half and I agree with you on Monster. IMO the most interesting, not the best but most interesting experimentally, is easily Up. Airportman through to Hope especially. Nice variation of styles there that they hadn't really come near to before.
Agree on Up, and I loved Reveal, too. Around the Sun was such a steaming turdpile that I'd thought they lost it but they came back strong with Accelerate. Collapse Into Now was good but I think kind of a weak way to end such a stellar career.

Re: R.E.M. Thread

Posted: 01 May 2015, 17:59
by mr_spenalzo
TripleJay97 wrote:
Sean wrote:I think Monster is dire. Easily their worst record while Bill was still in the band. In fact it's the only bad one.
I disagree. Monster kicks ass. MY CRUSHHH... WITH EYELINER
I love every single thing about "Monster" and it's my second favourite album of R.E.M.'s. It reminds me of being 15/16, evenings out late, stoned or drunk, enjoying girls, staring at the sky and talking for hours with my best friend, passing out. That album is perfect.

Re: R.E.M. Thread

Posted: 01 May 2015, 19:19
by Sean
Lt Pinkerton wrote:Murmur is fucking amazing. I'm in.
Yessssssssssss!!!

You might as well go in chronological order if you're planning to check it all out. Reckoning next :mrgreen:

Re: R.E.M. Thread

Posted: 01 May 2015, 19:24
by Sean
mr_spenalzo wrote:
TripleJay97 wrote:
Sean wrote:I think Monster is dire. Easily their worst record while Bill was still in the band. In fact it's the only bad one.
I disagree. Monster kicks ass. MY CRUSHHH... WITH EYELINER
I love every single thing about "Monster" and it's my second favourite album of R.E.M.'s. It reminds me of being 15/16, evenings out late, stoned or drunk, enjoying girls, staring at the sky and talking for hours with my best friend, passing out. That album is perfect.
Blimey. I wish I loved it. At the time it was hyped so, so much as this outrageous punk rock record...that REM had shed all the Automatic, Out of Time and Green sounds and gone balls out punk terror :lol: ...the music press was full of it.

So I was very disappointed with what emerged. In a way the PR wasn't their fault - although they did fuel it with interviews, soundbites etc.....it was an entirely different record to what we'd be led to expect but even without that context I think it's a real stinker. I don't think it knows what it wants to be...it doesn't rock - at all - (the opening double salvo on Life's Rich Pageant - 'Begin the Begin' and 'These Days' - rocks so much harder than anything on Monster)....the sound is all wrong (IMO) and the songs aren't up to much either.

Re: R.E.M. Thread

Posted: 01 May 2015, 19:34
by He's So High
I'm somewhere in the middle of you guys re Monster. It's my least favourite of their first ten records, but I don't hate it either. Again there are some standouts like Let Me In and Tongue. In a way they had to make that album though to break them free artistically - it was sure as hell better than trying to make another AFTP.

But yeah not as good as Begin the Begin and These Days. Christ what an opening! Those first four songs make up probably my favourite opening to an album, ever (not that the rest of the album is bad!). In fact, I think LRP might be my favourite of theirs.

Re: R.E.M. Thread

Posted: 01 May 2015, 19:46
by Sean
He's So High wrote:I'm somewhere in the middle of you guys re Monster. It's my least favourite of their first ten records, but I don't hate it either. Again there are some standouts like Let Me In and Tongue. In a way they had to make that album though to break them free artistically - it was sure as hell better than trying to make another AFTP.

But yeah not as good as Begin the Begin and These Days. Christ what an opening! Those first four songs make up probably my favourite opening to an album, ever (not that the rest of the album is bad!). In fact, I think LRP might be my favourite of theirs.
I always think that when I listen to it, but then I think that every time I listen to any of their first 8 albums.