Underrated Music

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

AdvertBreak

Re: Underrated Music

Post by AdvertBreak » 10 Feb 2015, 14:21

Discipline is damn good but I feel Beat is their best 80s album, despite Heartbeat. Only In the Court and Islands top the 80s trilogy as my favourite Crimson albums.

mr_spenalzo

Post by mr_spenalzo » 10 Feb 2015, 18:58

"Impossible Princess" is a great album. It got my interest because of the Manics' involvement in some of the songs, but actually those are the least interesting songs on it. I also think it may have influenced Madonna's "Ray Of Light". Speaking of Madonna, I also agree with you on "American Pie", it's got some marvellous songs (I especially like the more ballad-y songs on it).

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 14 Feb 2015, 03:42

TBH I've heard Madonna's albums from Ray of Light through to Hard Candy and I don't understand why American Life is the least appreciated of them. I suppose it was probably the choice of lead single and promotion, probably turning a lot of people away. I'm a total sucker for Mirwais' squealchy electroclash sort of way of doing things so I like the balance between that and the acoustic guitar based tracks.

Another band underrated is Gomez. For some strange reason whenever I think of them I also think of The Beta Band and vice versa, but whilst The Beta Band get all this acclaim, Gomez get all this crap about them being a bad lo-fi indie-blues fusion thing. I know they aren't exactly renowned for great journalism but Pitchfork generally despise them. I don't know a single Gomez song I don't like and the first three albums especially are nice.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 14 Feb 2015, 07:25

AdvertBreak wrote:Another band underrated is Gomez. For some strange reason whenever I think of them I also think of The Beta Band and vice versa, but whilst The Beta Band get all this acclaim, Gomez get all this crap about them being a bad lo-fi indie-blues fusion thing. I know they aren't exactly renowned for great journalism but Pitchfork generally despise them. I don't know a single Gomez song I don't like and the first three albums especially are nice.

I've been in love w/them since the fall of '99 when I first saw the "Bring It On" video on MTV 120 back here in the States. I immediately began to check-out their other videos (online) and instantly fell in love w/"Bring It On" and "Liquid Skin".... "In Our Gun" was a very experimental album (ideal to follow the EP which featured "Machismo") and to me their last great album was "Split the Difference" (their 4th album). I saw them in concert twice (the 2nd time they were supported by another vastly underrated band, the Thrills).....

I have been mixed on their albums since, but they've contained some classic songs and videos. Several tend to despise Ben's voice, but it complements both Ian's and Tom's perfectly.... I honestly haven't checked their solo material out....I hope they record a new album soon, but revert back to their earlier style. For some reason their last few albums seem more too commercial... But what a solid band indeed!

The Thrills to me should have received more due themselves, oh well...

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 18 Mar 2015, 00:43

U2 - Zooropa, Pop, No Line on the Horizon

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 18 Mar 2015, 15:40

Talk Talk massively underrated here in England, Its My Life was shockingly ignored back in 1984 not even making the Top 40 back then although the album and single were very big in Europe, thanks to me been young and not hearing them on the radio I didn't even discover them till their very best of in 1990 which blew me away and have been a massive fan ever since...to go from releasing superb pop singles to Spirit Of Eden in just six years was astounding!

Sadly Mark Hollis was very unhappy with the pop star life and Emi and basically retired not long after 40, if only he had Damon's enthusiasm :D

"Talk Talk's influence upon musicians has exceeded the band's visibility among the general public. Talk Talk are credited with inventing post-rock in their last two albums, Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock"

Guy Garvey of the band Elbow has said: "Mark Hollis started from punk and by his own admission he had no musical ability. To go from only having the urge, to writing some of the most timeless, intricate and original music ever is as impressive as the moon landings for me."

One of Graham's fave band's aswell...

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 18 Mar 2015, 16:13

AdvertBreak wrote:U2 - Zooropa, Pop, No Line on the Horizon
Loved Zooropa when it came out.. Might dig it out a give it a listen.
Last edited by Mark72 on 18 Mar 2015, 16:20, edited 1 time in total.
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 18 Mar 2015, 16:16

I hear Placebo are not as popular in the UK as in the rest of Europe.

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 18 Mar 2015, 17:31

Mark72 wrote:
AdvertBreak wrote:U2 - Zooropa, Pop, No Line on the Horizon
Loved Zooropa when it came out.. Might dig it out a give it a listen.
Did that myself a few months ago. Literally hadn't listened to it in a decade I'd say. It's a good album. Pop's not bad either. I'd given up on U2 before No Line on the Horizon - never even heard it.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 20 Mar 2015, 01:55

David Bowie's 90s albums, except Hours which is a bit shit. The other three are damn fine, and amongst my favourite albums of the decade.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 20 Mar 2015, 11:03

I agree w/Talk Talk and Placebo.......

I feel Neil Finn in general is vastly underrated. His work w/Split Enz and later Crowded House really rank up there! I honestly haven't paid too much attention to his solo work though.....

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 20 Mar 2015, 13:17

I wouldn't say Talk Talk are underrated, just unknown. I suppose its the difference between Spirit of Eden getting to no. 19 and failing commercially and Spirit of Eden influencing many musicians an being hailed as a masterpiece. 'O'rang on the other hand, at least the early stuff which still feels a bit like later Talk Talk, is underrated. Few people seem to really like them.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 23 Mar 2015, 05:31

AdvertBreak wrote:I wouldn't say Talk Talk are underrated, just unknown. I suppose its the difference between Spirit of Eden getting to no. 19 and failing commercially and Spirit of Eden influencing many musicians an being hailed as a masterpiece. 'O'rang on the other hand, at least the early stuff which still feels a bit like later Talk Talk, is underrated. Few people seem to really like them.
Yeah...that's a solid point.... Over the past decade, "It's My Life" had a resurgence (mainly due to No Doubt's cover), but still several who got into that version never heard the original or would not invest their time in discovering them further and that's not even their best song! Talk Talk was also a major influence on Gomez as well...

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 29 Mar 2015, 15:14

I've just been on Acclaimed Music to see where OMD stand and they are the 1480th best band, with Enola Gay the 4832nd best song (85th best song of 1980), Architecture & Morality the 2896th best album (51st best of 1981) and apparently their best song (which it definitely isn't) is If You Leave, at #3865. Ah its ridiculous! Enola Gay and A&M should be far higher, there's no Dazzle Ships, either Joan of Arc, Souvenir, Messages etc. the things I'd hoped would appear.

Daysleeper

Post by Daysleeper » 29 Mar 2015, 19:09

AdvertBreak wrote:David Bowie's 90s albums, except Hours which is a bit shit. The other three are damn fine, and amongst my favourite albums of the decade.
Agreed, although I really like Hours too, always bugs me when they tie in his 90s output with his 80s output, no comparison!