Beck Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Miki

Re: Beck Thread

Post by Miki » 19 Jun 2015, 11:11

tom_cas1 wrote:Loving the photos! I wasn't that close sadly but I could still get down with the music. :D Still pinching myself...I've seen Beck!! I also think 1 hour wasn't enlighten, I wanted a lot more.

How did you find the sound? Maybe it was where I was stood but during some songs it was excellent and during others it was poor.
Yes, it wasn't always great. At times I couldn't hear him singing. I noticed a lot of glances on stage between them, and Beck signaled the tech guys a few times. I don't think they were 100% happy either. The crowd at the front was a bit meh. Lots of kids that were there to see the Strokes and weren't really interested. But more warmed up to him and by the end I think most people were right into it.
I've been drifting along in the same stale old shoes
Loose ends tyin' a noose in the back of my mind...

Miki

Post by Miki » 19 Jun 2015, 11:13

Lt Pinkerton wrote:Wow, most of those songs are some of my Beck favourites, what a setlist. I'm glad you had a great time. Did any of you catch The Strokes later on?
I didn't really stay for the Strokes. We left the front pit after Beck: it was getting packed and a tad mad. We went to get food and drinks while everyone headed for the stage and there were no queues. We watched a bit of the Strokes' set on the screen, but I'm not much into them. We decided to beat the crowds and left early.

Miki

Post by Miki » 19 Jun 2015, 11:17

Consigliere_11 wrote:I haven't paid enough attention to Beck (only listened to Morning Phase once after it won a Grammy - and that's pretty much it), but I really liked Dreams - it's a nice, catchy and very summer tune! I guess I should listen to something else, but I have no idea where to start really
I wrote a little something on Facebook that may help you

https://www.facebook.com/notes/michela- ... 9188932808" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 19 Jun 2015, 11:23

I left straight after Beck too. I hope a recording of the show emerges at some point, I'd love to listen back to it.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Miki

Post by Miki » 19 Jun 2015, 12:40

http://www.barbican.org.uk/music/event- ... MzY5ODU5S0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OMG! My friend just got me tickets for this! I'm seeing Beck again next week!!!! :shock: :D

Rhys

Post by Rhys » 19 Jun 2015, 12:55

^That's so cool, sounds like it's gonna be a special show!

Judging by the few videos on youtube, the Hyde Park gig must've been fantastic! I really hope he comes to Australia soon!

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 19 Jun 2015, 13:04

Miki wrote:http://www.barbican.org.uk/music/event- ... MzY5ODU5S0

OMG! My friend just got me tickets for this! I'm seeing Beck again next week!!!! :shock: :D
Uh tell me more! What will he be playing?
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 19 Jun 2015, 19:56

This is the first time I've managed to log-in and post in awhile. I recently moved and haven't connected my computer to the net and also have had issues with my cell since I arrived here in London on Wednesday. I too saw Beck and was amazed by his set. However, I must say I was equally impressed by Syd Arthur who I admit I never heard of before til yesterday. Future Islands was relatively decent. Strokes were solid, but I hadn't listened to them in quote some time. I hope that I still can meet up with everyone! I'm here until Wednesday afternoon.....

Miki

Post by Miki » 19 Jun 2015, 22:32

tom_cas1 wrote:
Miki wrote:http://www.barbican.org.uk/music/event- ... MzY5ODU5S0

Uh tell me more! What will he be playing?

More info here. Not sure what he will be playing.It's quite a unique event. Tickets go on general sale at 10am tomorrow

http://m.pitchfork.com/news/60036-beck- ... try-event/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 20 Jun 2015, 00:40

Damn, I wish this wasn't at the end of the month. Feeling a tad poor after trips to Wolverhampton, Blackpool and London...may have to miss this. :cry:

Miki

Post by Miki » 20 Jun 2015, 09:22

tom_cas1 wrote:Damn, I wish this wasn't at the end of the month. Feeling a tad poor after trips to Wolverhampton, Blackpool and London...may have to miss this. :cry:
Tickets are cheap. £15-£22.50

Miki

Post by Miki » 21 Jun 2015, 23:00

Seems that Beck made quite an impression, if the reviews are anything to go by...

"a brilliant set worthy of a headliner, albeit far too short for an alt-rock icon of his stature... Come back soon please Beck, and play all night." ~ Gigwise

"Earlier in the afternoon, Beck is the perfect antidote to the nonchalance of The Strokes... he finds time to wrap barricade tape around the stage, though the only crime tonight is Beck leaving the stage all too early..." ~ Virtualfestivals

"You have to admire the cojones of the man who booked Beck to support the Strokes, at the first of 2015’s British Summer Time Hyde Park shows. Surely such a showman, who can throw Michael Jackson disco-spins through rump-shakers like Sexx Laws, will expose the New York indie legends’ notorious shortcomings? As E Pro collapses into squealing chaos, and Beck stretches police tape across the stage, it certainly feels like a challenge to the headliners: follow *that*." ~ The Guardian

"The Strokes deliver but Beck gives a stand-out set... Ruthlessly shrinking 20 years of his musical meddling into an hour, the genre-ravager crafted a flawless set that could easily have been a headline performance... quite frankly it's a mystery why Beck isn't heading up more festivals." ~ Digital Spy

"[The Strokes] have been upstaged by a diminutive man in a large hat." ~ The Times

:D

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 22 Jun 2015, 07:03

Miki wrote:"[The Strokes] have been upstaged by a diminutive man in a large hat." ~ The Times
Hahaha! :lol:

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 22 Jun 2015, 09:45

I didn't stick around for The Strokes but Beck was indeed excellent! The only bad thing was the length of the set and to make it worse it went even quicker than I was expecting it to! The 1 hour flew by. :(

Still...I've seen Beck and I still can't believe it!!! I do hope a recording emerges.

Miki

Post by Miki » 22 Jun 2015, 10:44

Frankly, he should have co-headlined and get at least 90 minutes.

Lets hope for some proper shows in the near(ish) future.