Beck Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Miki

Re: Beck Thread

Post by Miki » 15 Jun 2015, 10:36

Morning Phase is a beautiful beautiful album well deserving of all the accolades. I love all of Beck's facets. He's such a versatile artist. I don't understand when people say "Oh this is the real Beck". He's always "the real Beck". Anyone who knows anything about Beck, knows that he's been making songs like the ones on Morning Phase from the start. Just listen to Rowboat, Hollow Log, Hard to Compete, Woe on Me...list goes on.

Mutations is possibly my favourite album too - just!

New song is on Youtube now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTM3YPTYNo0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I've been drifting along in the same stale old shoes
Loose ends tyin' a noose in the back of my mind...

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 15 Jun 2015, 10:41

Dreams sounds excellent and I doubt it'll be the best song on the new album. Let's be honest, a new album is definitely coming! :D Sounds like a new Beck to me, yet another musical direction. What a guy. Let's hope he decides to play in the UK (at a regular venue) when he tours it.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 15 Jun 2015, 11:11

I can't wait for this new album!

Miki

Post by Miki » 15 Jun 2015, 11:12

tom_cas1 wrote:Dreams sounds excellent and I doubt it'll be the best song on the new album. Let's be honest, a new album is definitely coming! :D Sounds like a new Beck to me, yet another musical direction. What a guy. Let's hope he decides to play in the UK (at a regular venue) when he tours it.
Agree, Tom. Yet again he goes into new territory. In a recent radio interview he mentioned bands he liked at the time of writing the song (this was done a couple of years ago, apparently), and namedrops MGMT, Daft Punk, Phoenix. I can hear the influence, though it's still very much a Beck song. Bit of Chic too, in there, and garage punk. It's a great summer song. And current, with the 80s funk revival (Pharell, Daft Punk, Mark Ronson/Bruno Mars...).

He described the album as quite diverse, so I wouldn't necessarily take this as representative of the whole sound.

I guess that with this dropping now, the album can't be too far off - even if he was still cagey about a release date.

Song was co-written with Andrew Wyatt of Miike Snow and co-produced with Greg Kurstin.

Can't wait for Thursday! :D

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 15 Jun 2015, 20:22

My guess is a late July/early August release for the album.

Currently listening to The Information, my favourite Beck album. Just magnificent on every level! Elevator Music is a work of art and there just isn't a dull song to be found after that. My favourite songs from the album:

Elevator Music
Cellphone's Dead
We Dance Alone
No Complaints
The Information

I really like the bonus tracks too (Inside Out & This Girl That I Know) although I just found out that there was a Japanese only bonus track called O Menina...does anyone here have it??
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Miki

Post by Miki » 15 Jun 2015, 21:11

tom_cas1 wrote:I just found out that there was a Japanese only bonus track called O Menina...does anyone here have it??
:mrgreen:

It's on the Deluxe Edition of The Information too. I have it. I'll PM you.

P.S. If there's anything BECK you need, let me know. I have pretty much everything :P

bugman

Post by bugman » 15 Jun 2015, 22:59

tom_cas1 wrote:My guess is a late July/early August release for the album.

Currently listening to The Information, my favourite Beck album. Just magnificent on every level! Elevator Music is a work of art and there just isn't a dull song to be found after that. My favourite songs from the album:

Elevator Music
Cellphone's Dead
We Dance Alone
No Complaints
The Information

I really like the bonus tracks too (Inside Out & This Girl That I Know) although I just found out that there was a Japanese only bonus track called O Menina...does anyone here have it??
i have it.nice little tune

DREAMS IS AMAZING!! 9/10

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 16 Jun 2015, 05:08

Strange Apparition is my favourite from The Information.

Rhys

Post by Rhys » 16 Jun 2015, 05:56

Dreams is superb, can't stop listening to it! The new album's gonna be excellent, that's for sure!

Miki

Post by Miki » 16 Jun 2015, 11:19

TripleJay97 wrote:Strange Apparition is my favourite from The Information.
Ditto!

I love Landslide too. I separated it from The Horrible Fanfare and Exoskeleton, so I can listen to it on its own.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 16 Jun 2015, 12:28

Cheap tickets available for Beck on Thursday at Hyde Park!!!

Miki

Post by Miki » 16 Jun 2015, 12:55

Are you coming, Tom?

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 16 Jun 2015, 14:03

Miki wrote:Are you coming, Tom?
Yes, I will be there if I hear back from BST Hyde Park. I made my donation and then the page I was taken to was the wrong one with NOTHING regarding the ticket I'd just paid for. So my money has been taken and I don't have a ticket. It seems to be a problem according to their Facebook page and I sent a message but I've received NO REPLY. Obviously if this cock up is sorted out I will be there but I'm not donating again to find out if it works a second time. Either they fix my problem and give me a ticket or I get a full refund.

I was so excited to be able to see Beck, I wasn't expecting this mess!!! :cry:

dparrott

Post by dparrott » 16 Jun 2015, 15:43

It's weird...Dreams sounds like a song any popular band/artist could do today. It's good, but sounds like he's trying too hard.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 16 Jun 2015, 16:02

I wonder if he'll debut the song on Thursday.