The Who Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

MrMagpie

Re: The Who Thread

Post by MrMagpie » 23 Oct 2014, 11:04

No, it ends in 1970 with Leeds...I and others have asked the author if he's gonna do a book about them in the 70s. He said he wasn't planning on it but is seriously considering it now due to all of the interest. I hope he does!

The Rock and Roll Chemist: http://www.rnrchemist.blogspot.com
Twitter: @rocknrollchem http://www.twitter.com/rocknrollchem

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 25 Oct 2014, 08:30

MrMagpie wrote:No, it ends in 1970 with Leeds...I and others have asked the author if he's gonna do a book about them in the 70s. He said he wasn't planning on it but is seriously considering it now due to all of the interest. I hope he does!
Oh wow...I certainly hope he does write a follow-up.....But some may consider Leeds at their apex....That and perhaps Isle of Wight..... Although, I must admit I often find 1967-1969 the most interesting years in the band history, the transition they took....Did the book go into further detail about "Armenia City in the Sky"? I always found that track so intriguing...Speedy Keen was brilliant with that composition....

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 26 Oct 2014, 01:18

It does a bit...it's certainly the most psychedelic the Who ever sounded, although I love Sell Out not only because it's a brilliant album but it has the Who dabbling in psychedelia and making it their own, but not losing sight of who they truly were, unlike the Stones' near-disastrous foray into it that year!

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 26 Oct 2014, 08:33

MrMagpie wrote:It does a bit...it's certainly the most psychedelic the Who ever sounded, although I love Sell Out not only because it's a brilliant album but it has the Who dabbling in psychedelia and making it their own, but not losing sight of who they truly were, unlike the Stones' near-disastrous foray into it that year!

"Sell Out" is probably the best concept albums ever! I loved the deluxe edition I back in the mid 90s and played it all the time! Only song I really could do without is "Silas Stingy" (one of the Ox's worst efforts)...It grates on me after the first minute....."Tattoo" to be written by a 22 year old! Pete, John/Paul, Ray Davies, and Brian Wilson all at their peak around the same time! I cannot fathom that whatsoever! It really blows my mind! "I Can See For Miles"..heavy metal and proto-punk!

Yeah... agree about "Their Satanic Majesties Request"...."She's a Rainbow" and "2000 Light Years From Home" kept the album from being irrelevant! I also like the "Citadel", but I'm obviously discussing the wrong band right now, eh? :D

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 30 Oct 2014, 08:16

The Who recorded 'The Last Time/Under My Thumb' in support of the Stones after the Redlands incident (I hesitate to call it a 'drugs bust').

This was in the 'Satanic Majesties' period.

I like this album - it is a bit disjointed but redeemed by the tracks you mention KLL76. :D
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 31 Oct 2014, 05:35

Mallard No. 22 wrote:The Who recorded 'The Last Time/Under My Thumb' in support of the Stones after the Redlands incident (I hesitate to call it a 'drugs bust').

This was in the 'Satanic Majesties' period.

I like this album - it is a bit disjointed but redeemed by the tracks you mention KLL76. :D

And to me...the Who sounded better in those covers than the originals....Perhaps most or if all of you will disagree with me on that.....But..it seems whenever the Who covered song, it sounded better than the original! And whenever a band covered them, they sounded completely inferior......

Yeah, those aforementioned tracks salvaged that album....At least the Stones got back to their senses immediately after that debacle!

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 31 Oct 2014, 21:27

I think the Stones originals (& Wayne Gibson's cover of 'Under My Thumb') are better than The Who's versions.

I quite like The Who's take on 'Under My Thumb' though. :)

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 02 Nov 2014, 20:57

Yeah, the Who's covers of those, while done for admirable reasons, aren't as good as the Stones'. But then again that wasn't the Who's style, either. 8-)

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 03 Nov 2014, 06:31

Mallard No. 22 wrote:I think the Stones originals (& Wayne Gibson's cover of 'Under My Thumb') are better than The Who's versions.

I quite like The Who's take on 'Under My Thumb' though. :)
Yeah, the Who's covers of those, while done for admirable reasons, aren't as good as the Stones'. But then again that wasn't the Who's style, either. 8-)
I figured I'd be in the absolute minority, but that's just me! haha :D

Would any of you see them in concert if they went on tour? I know all of us agree that they were no longer the Who after Keith's passing, but just to hear Roger and Pete live would be something sacred regardless....

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 03 Nov 2014, 07:40

I think they would still do a good show. :)

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 04 Nov 2014, 05:05

Mallard No. 22 wrote:I think they would still do a good show. :)

I agree....I would even pay to see either of them solo (but obviously not the same)! Lord, do I wish I go back in time and see them live from '69-'73! Oh well... I obviously missed out there!

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 05 Nov 2014, 07:10

Roger seemed on form recently with the work he did with Wilko Johnson.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 09 Nov 2014, 06:22

Mallard No. 22 wrote:Roger seemed on form recently with the work he did with Wilko Johnson.

Yeah, I guess that project captured several awards...And Roger is certainly deserving of that recognition..... I'm honestly looking forward to their new album regardless if it isn't essentially the "real Who" or not......

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 10 Nov 2014, 02:56

I saw them in 1997 when John was still alive. Not the real Who of course but still damn good! I've got a tape of it somewhere, should dig it out and share with you guys when I find it...

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 11 Nov 2014, 05:29

MrMagpie wrote:I saw them in 1997 when John was still alive. Not the real Who of course but still damn good! I've got a tape of it somewhere, should dig it out and share with you guys when I find it...

I would actually love and appreciate if you indeed shared that tape....

We obviously have said several times that they weren't the Who after Keith passed, however, it seemed they actually were regaining some momentum and playing at their best in years just months prior to John's death.....Especially their 911 performance...Zak made his mentor proud how solid he was! Conversely, their Super Bowl performance captured them at an all-time low!