Beach Boys Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

KingLouieLouie76

Re: Beach Boys Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 24 Mar 2016, 19:51

There are several misconceptions about the Beach Boys. True, "Pet Sounds" is definitely their masterpiece, but subsequent albums "Wild Honey", "Friends", "Sunflower", "Surf's Up", and "Holland" rank up there. "Smiley Smile" would have been a hit then back in '67 opposed of the colossal failure that the time due to immense build-up and hype over "Smile". "Smiley Smile" was essentially a stripped back version of "Smile" done at Brian's home studio and has aged quite well. Other albums such as "20/20" and "Carl And the Passions: So Tough" are decent and "Love You" is certainly a must listen.

The Beach Boys were so young when they began. Brian was the 2nd oldest member (he's exactly 2-days younger than Paul McCartney), and Carl was barely 16 and Dennis was around 18. The youngest member was rhythm lead-guitarist, David Marks who was around 13/14 years-old and he was the replacement and was eventually replaced by Al Jardine who was around Brian's age, Mike Love was the oldest at 21. So, they all essentially grew-up in the studio together and Brian honed his craft over time and later did both Dennis and Carl when Brian's attentions were elsewhere.

They were the true rivals of the Beatles for sure.... I've posted this song before, but Brian in 1965 wrote this for John Lennon to sing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS94YK3pscs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On that same album, 1965 "Summer Days & Summer Night" spawned this song, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhMfS-vTEPA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which Paul McCartney cited as the inspiration behind the "tit" part of "Girl".....And then "Rubber Soul" elevated Brian to newer heights to record "Pet Sounds" and "Pet Sounds influenced some of "Revolver" and then "Sgt. Pepper"......

It's the fascinating how both bands pushed each other and I love both bands equally!

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 30 Mar 2016, 06:22

I agree that The Beatles and The Beach Boys pushed each other in the mid 60s, to create the most innovative sounds.

Good point also, Tom, that the general audience often see the Beach Boys as 'just another 60s band'. This is based on their run of UK hit singles, a lot of which were straightforward songs.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 30 Mar 2016, 12:10

Mallard No. 22 wrote:I agree that The Beatles and The Beach Boys pushed each other in the mid 60s, to create the most innovative sounds.

Good point also, Tom, that the general audience often see the Beach Boys as 'just another 60s band'. This is based on their run of UK hit singles, a lot of which were straightforward songs.

And most casual listener/fan ends the Beach Boys story at "Pet Sounds" or perhaps "Good Vibrations" and/or "Smile" (the aborted sessions until 2011)....But they should listen to anything from '67-'73 and then 1977's "Love You"...... Otherwise, everyone is completely missing out!

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 31 Mar 2016, 08:55

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:
Mallard No. 22 wrote:I agree that The Beatles and The Beach Boys pushed each other in the mid 60s, to create the most innovative sounds.

And most casual listener/fan ends the Beach Boys story at "Pet Sounds" or perhaps "Good Vibrations" and/or "Smile" (the aborted sessions until 2011)....But they should listen to anything from '67-'73 and then 1977's "Love You"...... Otherwise, everyone is completely missing out!
I was actually discussing this with a friend the other day. Pet Sounds is so brilliant that sometimes people dismiss their other work but yeah, they're totally missing out. Surf's Up is a perfect album as far as I'm concerned and Sunflower has one of the first dream pop songs ever made, which is something most people ignore. They're much more than that poppy beach band that had one great album, but at this point I don't really care about what other people say.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 31 Mar 2016, 19:11

Lt Pinkerton wrote:I was actually discussing this with a friend the other day. Pet Sounds is so brilliant that sometimes people dismiss their other work but yeah, they're totally missing out. Surf's Up is a perfect album as far as I'm concerned and Sunflower has one of the first dream pop songs ever made, which is something most people ignore. They're much more than that poppy beach band that had one great album, but at this point I don't really care about what other people say.

It seems you couldn't get into "Holland' and "Love You"? I know "Carl & the Passions: So Tough" takes several listens to appreciate it some. "15 Big Ones" had them sounding like a nostalgia act and so did "MIU" and "LA" to a certain extent.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 09 Apr 2016, 06:44

Ironically one of my favourite singles of theirs is 'Darlin'. From their run of UK pop hits in the late 60s.

Just seems to capture the time period, and the group, at their straightforward best. :D
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 09 Apr 2016, 07:41

Mallard No. 22 wrote:Ironically one of my favourite singles of theirs is 'Darlin'. From their run of UK pop hits in the late 60s.

Just seems to capture the time period, and the group, at their straightforward best. :D

Speaking of "Darlin'" in today's culture......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A54YD3CEvlE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I find some of the comments rather fascinating... Love how several immediately well received the song... "Wild Honey" album is so vastly underrated....

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 10 Apr 2016, 11:34

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:
Lt Pinkerton wrote:I was actually discussing this with a friend the other day. Pet Sounds is so brilliant that sometimes people dismiss their other work but yeah, they're totally missing out. Surf's Up is a perfect album as far as I'm concerned and Sunflower has one of the first dream pop songs ever made, which is something most people ignore. They're much more than that poppy beach band that had one great album, but at this point I don't really care about what other people say.

It seems you couldn't get into "Holland' and "Love You"? I know "Carl & the Passions: So Tough" takes several listens to appreciate it some. "15 Big Ones" had them sounding like a nostalgia act and so did "MIU" and "LA" to a certain extent.
I liked those three albums but not as much as their early 70s material. Surf's Up is their last classic as far as I'm concerned, and Sunflower's a great album as well. I heard some of their 80s stuff and found it quite shocking :lol:

davidsutter

Post by davidsutter » 10 Apr 2016, 13:08

Lt Pinkerton wrote:Surf's Up is their last classic as far as I'm concerned, and Sunflower's a great album as well.
Same, though Holland and Love You have their moments..

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 10 Apr 2016, 14:10

Lt Pinkerton wrote: I liked those three albums but not as much as their early 70s material. Surf's Up is their last classic as far as I'm concerned, and Sunflower's a great album as well. I heard some of their 80s stuff and found it quite shocking :lol:
First, I agree w/davidsutter that both "Holland" and "Love You" had its moments. I admit on "Love You" there tends to be a couple "head-scratchers". "Holland" does get baffling some w/Brian's fairy-tale towards the end, but it's very intriguing.

What's your favorite "Sunflower" and "Surf's Up" songs?

"Keepin' The Summer Alive" is their only real worthwhile 80s album (released in 1980) and the only album recorded in the 80s with Denny still alive. To me, the Beach Bpys died when he drowned in Dec 1983. 1985's "Beach Boys" self-titled was hilarious for the most part, but Brian was being brainwashed by his doctor, Dr. Landy and Mike Love controlled the band more. However, they remained a solid live act for years thereafter, but died again when Carl passed away from cancer in 1997.

Brian's solo work is definitely worth checking into...... Also, there are several unreleased albums and tracks I can post if you're interested all throughout the Beach Boys career, most I wonder why they aborted!

davidsutter

Post by davidsutter » 10 Apr 2016, 18:19

For Surf's Up I'll say everything except Student Demonstration Time and the song about foot care, though that one has a bit of novelty value.

Highlights on Sunflower include All I Wanna Do, Our Sweet Love, It's About Time and Forever. Dennis had a lot of good stuff on that one.

(Though I don't care for Cool Cool Water so much because I heard it first as In Blue Hawaii..)

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 10 Apr 2016, 18:31

davidsutter wrote:For Surf's Up I'll say everything except Student Demonstration Time and the song about foot care, though that one has a bit of novelty value.

Highlights on Sunflower include All I Wanna Do, Our Sweet Love, It's About Time and Forever. Dennis had a lot of good stuff on that one.

(Though I don't care for Cool Cool Water so much because I heard it first as In Blue Hawaii..)
I actually love Student Demonstration Time! Not one of the best on Surf's Up but definitely enjoyable. Disney Girls, Long Promised Road, the title track and Take A Load Off Your Feet are highlights for me. Off Sunflower I'd choose Deirdre, Forever and All I Wanna Do.
KingLouieLouie76 wrote:Brian's solo work is definitely worth checking into...... Also, there are several unreleased albums and tracks I can post if you're interested all throughout the Beach Boys career, most I wonder why they aborted!
Yes please! :D

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 10 Apr 2016, 20:38

"Take A Load Off Your Feet" is certainly a novelty type song indeed. Brian and Al wrote it along w/one of Al's close high school friend, Gary Winfrey who just got out of the US Airforce and his wife was pregnant at the time experiencing swollen ankles. The play/movie "Hair" was popular at time and someone challenged them to write the song related to ankles, but they opted for feet instead. The song contained empty 5-gallon Sparkletts glass water container with a rubber mallet for percussion, footsteps and the horn of his Rolls-Royce Phantom V.

"Student Demonstration Time" was Mike Love reworking the Robins' 1954 classic song, "Riot in Cell Block #9" which the Beach Boys had been covering live for years and he wanted to update the lyrics to suit what was happening at the time.

My "Surf's Up" faves are definitely "Feel Flow", "Long Promised Road", and "Til I Die". "Sunflower" is certainly "All I Wanna Do", "It's About Time", "Forever", and "Slip On Through". Dennis indeed helped shape "Sunflower" as Carl did on "Surf's Up". In fact, it his was urging to revive the title track from the "Smile" sessions. It was initially against Brian's will, but Brian later helped with the sessions.

"Cool Cool Water" was originally "Love To Say Dada" from Smile and listening to the isolated vocals is a treat in itself!

There are several unreleased tracks.... I will begin with two that eventually were re-recorded....

This is "Big Sur" which eventually became "Holland" "California Saga": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKUILZqZpkg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is "I Just Got My Pay" which eventually became "Carl and the Passions : So Tough" "Marcella": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqdn14vOT7U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 14 Apr 2016, 08:09

What's the general consensus on 20/20? Just got a free vinyl copy of it, but I'm yet to play it.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 14 Apr 2016, 23:35

TripleJay97 wrote:What's the general consensus on 20/20? Just got a free vinyl copy of it, but I'm yet to play it.
It's a very disjointed album in terms of how the collection of songs flow, but it contains several stand-outs....

Here's a "20/20" summary I posted earlier in the thread:

20/20" was the first that Brian didn't contribute any newer material during the sessions... Here's essentially the track-by-track origins:

1) "Do It Again" was originally conceived by Mike to revert back to the Beach Boys vintage surf sound and Brian contributed most of the lyrics and sung the 2nd part and the high falsettos, written, recorded, and released in the late spring to early summer of '68.

2) "I Can Hear Music" was younger brother Carl taking complete control.

3) "Bluebirds Over the Mountain" was a remake of a 1958 song and Mike is the lead-singer on the track.

4) "Be With Me" was Dennis co-writing the lyrics with one of his partners and offering his rather distinctive vocals.

5) "All I Want To Do" was a scorching rocker Dennis wrote starring Mike on lead vocals and in the end...well..if you listen closely it is rumored Dennis was recorded shagging some girl in the studio and it is captured....

6) "The Nearest Faraway Place" was defacto member, Bruce Johnston exhibiting his ballsy chops on piano...

7) "Cotton Fields (The Cotton Song)" was a brilliant cover pulled off by Al Jardine on vocals... He's also chiefly responsible for the Beach Boys covering "Sloop John B" on "Pet Sounds"....

8)"I Went to Sleep" was Brian and Carl splitting vocals from a track left over from the "Friends" sessions....

9) "Time to Get Alone" was left over from the "Wild Honey" sessions (released in Dec of '67)...

10) "Never Learn Not to Love" was "Cease to Exist" written by Charles Manson of all people who Dennis befriended.. Dennis sung lead and altered the lyrics which struck the ire of Manson and several believed that's what started his infamous murderous rampage..

11) "Our Prayer" Brian wrote and recorded during the aborted "Smile" sessions.

12) "Cabinessence" is another from the "Smile" sessions that Brian along w/his then collaborator, Van Dyke Parks wrote....

A very disjointed album, but still top-notch.... You must check out "Wild Honey" and "Sunflower" next....