What bands have you seen/going to see live?

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

JAIME

Re: What bands have you seen/going to see live?

Post by JAIME » 08 Jun 2016, 14:33

Consigliere_11 wrote:^I heard they premiered some new songs, which is really nice :) Hope you had a nice time!
You're right. They premiered Parachute and Hole in My Soul.

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 27 Aug 2016, 09:45

I saw Super Furry Animals and Primal Scream last night and it was everything I honestly could have hoped for.

Consigliere_11

Post by Consigliere_11 » 27 Aug 2016, 20:47

So, I've seen Radiohead, Arcade Fire, Robert Plant, Pixies and a whole bunch of other dudes and gals at NOS Alive this July. Super fun times 8-)

This October Lianne La Havas comes to Moscow, so I hope to see her perform, she's really good
RIP Mr. Okay (April 2015 - March 2016)

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 01 Sep 2016, 12:43

I finally got my butt in gear after returning from vacation to write about Billy Joel's concert in Boston that I saw 2 weeks ago today -->

http://rnrchemist.blogspot.com/2016/08/ ... enway.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Man, what a show! If you haven't seen him, I highly recommend it!

The Rock and Roll Chemist: http://www.rnrchemist.blogspot.com
Twitter: @rocknrollchem http://www.twitter.com/rocknrollchem

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 02 Sep 2016, 02:01

MrMagpie wrote:I finally got my butt in gear after returning from vacation to write about Billy Joel's concert in Boston that I saw 2 weeks ago today -->

http://rnrchemist.blogspot.com/2016/08/ ... enway.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Man, what a show! If you haven't seen him, I highly recommend it!

Excellent review! It's so refreshing nearly 30-years after I saw him that he can still put on such an amazing show! I was totally blown away then as you are now. I echo your sentiment, you must see him before it's too late.....it's definitely one of those experiences of a lifetime to see this man live!

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 03 Sep 2016, 05:37

TripleJay97 wrote:I saw Super Furry Animals and Primal Scream last night and it was everything I honestly could have hoped for.
Glad you enjoyed. I saw SFA (at least once) in the 90s. :)

I never did see Primal Scream at a local venue, don't think I saw them at a festival either. :(

Not sure why because I liked them from when 'Loaded' first went into the charts.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

JAIME

Post by JAIME » 03 Sep 2016, 17:13

I saw a couple of Beatles tribute bands in the last weeks.

My next gigs: Duran Duran(for the 3rd time) and Garbage(for the 2nd time)

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 04 Sep 2016, 16:15

JAIME wrote:) and Garbage(for the 2nd time)

Garbage is performing at our state fair in October and I'm thinking about seeing them..... I guess they are worth seeing live based on the fact this will be your 2nd time, eh?

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 07 Sep 2016, 01:58

I saw Neville Staples Band and the Proclaimers at a festival in July but sadly besides them and the Stone Roses I've seen virtually no one this year, at least compared to Jay who has seen everyone.

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 07 Sep 2016, 11:55

I saw Massive Attack's homecoming festival-type gig on Saturday. Primal Scream in support. The weather was biblically bad - rain, rain and more rain. Totally soaked through by the end of the night. And poor event organisation and some technical issues meant the queues for the bars were beyond a joke - literally, the queues were meeting each other in the middle of the festival space such were the length. :shock: The music on the other hand was good. Primal Scream were the better of the two funnily enough for me, though that may have been influenced a tad by the worsening weather as the night wore on - hard to keep up the enthusiasm in all that. Brilliant video protections and visuals to support the Massive Attack performance though, really added something.

I'm having a bit of a 90s knees-up with Black Grape in November at a venue in the Midlands, can't remember exactly way for now. That's off the back of seeing them at a festival a month or two ago. They were a LOT of fun but being a festival / support tent style performance, fairly truncated, so it motivated me to rustle up some tickets for a full-on gig. Last time I saw Shaun was a Happy Mondays gig at the MEN about a decade ago, and I think he's got his act together a hell of a lot more these days so should be a decent night out.

And at the other end of the scale, just booked to see The Divine Comedy at the Palladium next February. I expect that to be a considerably more comfortable evening than Massive Attack. :lol:

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 08 Sep 2016, 06:11

Massive Attack & Primal Scream - that sounds potentially a good gig. As you say the worsening weather would impede the mood of a Massive Attack performance.

Shaun Ryder - he suffered after the original break-up of Black Grape, being bound by contractual problems. I understand this meant e.g. that he performed for Gorillaz without payment as such. This is now resolved and he has got himself together much more in recent times.

I saw Shaun & Bez several times during the 90s, as both the Mondays and Black Grape (& the Mondays again). In particular there was a storming gig at Newcastle Riverside where Bez was on electric form, strutting about the stage all night. This was when Black Grape's first single had entered the chart and the album was imminent. Good times :D
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

JAIME

Post by JAIME » 08 Sep 2016, 17:09

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:
JAIME wrote:) and Garbage(for the 2nd time)

Garbage is performing at our state fair in October and I'm thinking about seeing them..... I guess they are worth seeing live based on the fact this will be your 2nd time, eh?
Absolutely! Shirley is fantastic live and the band sounds great!

They'll play here in December. It's already sold out since July.

Mark87uk

Post by Mark87uk » 09 Sep 2016, 00:03

I'm seeing kula shaker in Notts in December, playing K in its entirety, hoping for a cheeky version of 'Sound of Drums'

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 09 Sep 2016, 12:21

Mallard No. 22 wrote:Massive Attack & Primal Scream - that sounds potentially a good gig. As you say the worsening weather would impede the mood of a Massive Attack performance.

Shaun Ryder - he suffered after the original break-up of Black Grape, being bound by contractual problems. I understand this meant e.g. that he performed for Gorillaz without payment as such. This is now resolved and he has got himself together much more in recent times.

I saw Shaun & Bez several times during the 90s, as both the Mondays and Black Grape (& the Mondays again). In particular there was a storming gig at Newcastle Riverside where Bez was on electric form, strutting about the stage all night. This was when Black Grape's first single had entered the chart and the album was imminent. Good times :D
Always loved a bit of Black Grape (and Happy Mondays of course). The first BG album always puts me in mind of one of my university mates who I regularly car shared with. That album was on heavy rotation in his car for quite a while. Like you say, good times. Looking forward to dancing like an idiot in November. :lol:

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 11 Sep 2016, 20:32

im seeing lush on the 22nd
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners