Mallard No. 22

Re: Whats your favourite song at the moment

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 24 Apr 2017, 04:55

:) You're going mainstream Louie....!
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 24 Apr 2017, 06:39

Mallard No. 22 wrote::) You're going mainstream Louie....!

I guess I am in my old age! :D Nah....I've just been in such a sentimental mood lately which is why I had to pull this out....

Right now... my fave song at the moment is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG4KnYSaLZw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 30 Apr 2017, 19:09

The Boo Radleys - Boo Fa!th

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 03 May 2017, 05:42

This.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKSyxy237SY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 03 May 2017, 05:55

Haven't heard that one for a few years Louie. From around that time I like 'King Midas In Reverse'.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 03 May 2017, 13:21

Wolfstone - Jen's Tune

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 03 May 2017, 13:24

Mallard No. 22 wrote:Haven't heard that one for a few years Louie. From around that time I like 'King Midas In Reverse'.
Yeah, unfortunately "King Midas In Reverse" was such a colossal commercial failure which ultimately lead to Nash leaving the band. He wanted to write more poignant and sophisticated songs and the Hollies rejected them, but David Crosby and Stephen Stills embraced them and the rest is history as they say. The Hollies still charted well w/Terry Sylvester, but most of their material didn't age quite well as Crosby/Stills/Nash/(Young) did.

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 03 May 2017, 22:07

Secret Door by Arctic Monkeys and Sex Murder Party by Gorillaz.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 05 May 2017, 15:25

This.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMsZ6wkZWhA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 06 May 2017, 02:30

mac demarco- for the first time / wolf with sheeps clothes (the whole new album is amazing. fans check it out)
abra - vegas
gorillaz - charger
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 06 May 2017, 05:20

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:Yeah, unfortunately "King Midas In Reverse" was such a colossal commercial failure which ultimately lead to Nash leaving the band. He wanted to write more poignant and sophisticated songs and the Hollies rejected them, but David Crosby and Stephen Stills embraced them and the rest is history as they say. The Hollies still charted well w/Terry Sylvester, but most of their material didn't age quite well as Crosby/Stills/Nash/(Young) did.

:o Viewed from now, it is difficult to see why 'King Midas In Reverse' was a comparative failure. It only reached no. 18 in the UK chart - this was a very respectable position overall, but for The Hollies, who normally went top ten without fail, it was disappointing.

Personally, it is one of my favourite songs of theirs, and many music fans like it.

I suspect the regular radio listener preferred simple 'boy-girl' love songs from The Hollies, and didn't see them as a progressive artist.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 06 May 2017, 10:59

Mallard No. 22 wrote: :o Viewed from now, it is difficult to see why 'King Midas In Reverse' was a comparative failure. It only reached no. 18 in the UK chart - this was a very respectable position overall, but for The Hollies, who normally went top ten without fail, it was disappointing.

Personally, it is one of my favourite songs of theirs, and many music fans like it.

I suspect the regular radio listener preferred simple 'boy-girl' love songs from The Hollies, and didn't see them as a progressive artist.
Allan Clarke and Tony Hicks both preferred the more saccharine commercial sound over the more political edgier material that Nash was demoing to them at the time. I compare Nash's departure from the Hollies similar to when EC left the Yardbirds. They both didn't want to continue to sell out their soul sorta to speak, but at least the former bands still remained quite successful themselves.

Imagine the Hollies doing this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9p_zQxONXs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; That's one of the songs Nash demoed to the Hollies who scoffed at it. This version does include Crosby and Stills, but there is one only consisting of Nash, but I believe it still doesn't exist.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 10 May 2017, 07:07

The musical style of 'Marrakesh Express' fits The Hollies perfectly. But the 'hippy' (& non-commercial) lyrical subject was not really them.

Indeed, had it been a Hollies single, it might have confounded the audience of Suzanne's and Jennifer's :)

Another reason why 'King Midas In Reverse' may have failed in the UK - it was released in the period between the pirate radio stations being outlawed (14 Aug) and BBC Radio One starting (30 Sept) in 1967.

I suspect that certain records would have received offshore airplay, making them into bigger hits. As well as 'King Midas In Reverse', there was also the Stones 'We Love You', Eric Burdon & The Animals 'Good Times' and I suspect in pre-release The Who 'I Can See For Miles'.

It is quite telling that the number one hit in this period was by Engelbert Humperdinck, who of course had denied The Beatles the no. 1 spot with 'Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields Forever' earlier that year. He would get airplay on 'Family Favourites-type' shows on the BBC Home Service, as well as their very limited pop-programming.

Re: GN leaving The Hollies comparing to EC leaving The Yardbirds. I see the comparison, and I haven't looked into it closely, but Paul Jones similarly left Manfred Mann in this same period. Indeed, Jones took the HMV record contract with him, and Manfred Mann continued as a studio group on Fontana Records. I suspect Jones was considered a major star, although in a wider sense (stage musicals, acting in films & TV).

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 11 May 2017, 18:54

Excellent points!

The Hollies preferred the likes of "Jennifer Eccles", and "Carrie Anne" because it better suited their audience at the time. They seemed to be somewhat closer to the "Bubblegum" crowd to a lesser degree and would have totally been blown away by a song like "ME"...... Even "King Midas In Reverse" went over several heads which it why it was a commercial failure. They were too cautious at the time preferring to do a Bob Dylan cover album opposed to going fully experimental in the manner Nash so desired. Their audience matured by the time "Long Cool Woman" was released along w/their other 70's hits... Or they began to evolve when they covered "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother".....

But the beginning of 1967 through the first few months it seems there was that IMMENSE divide between the Mainstream and Counter Culture regarding music. Even Frank/Nancy Sinatra were charting high that year! It took time for "Psychedelic" music to hit and there were the "betweener" (new word I invented) bands such as the following who tried to please both audiences and this is actually my fave song at the moment......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJMwxucTJyo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They had that "clean cut" look to them but the sound was somewhat "trippy"......Even the legendary Steve Allen introducing them nailed it w/the "Squares" and such... that divide.....

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 15 May 2017, 06:32

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:The Hollies preferred the likes of "Jennifer Eccles", and "Carrie Anne" because it better suited their audience at the time. They seemed to be somewhat closer to the "Bubblegum" crowd to a lesser degree....
The Hollies, like Manfred Mann, stuck with straightforward pop songs (though as you say, not necessarily bubblegum) in the late 60s. I am under the impression that they were influenced to do so by management. They did change to a more serious style with 'He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother' and also 'I Can't Tell The Bottom From The Top' which is sublime and a bit overlooked. Their early 70s hits did not achieve the top ten chart placings in the UK, possibly because they were associated with jingly-jangly 60s music and things were moving on to Slade, Bowie etc.

In the USA, there was possibly less prejudices towards them in this respect (they hadn't had as many big hits there). Thus they had a huge hit with 'Long Cool Woman....'. Interesting that they shrewdly did the song in a pseudo-John Fogerty style to achieve this.

When other such groups did move to a heavy/prog-style, it didn't always work commercially, e.g. The Tremeloes, The Love Affair. People such as Manfred Mann (himself) and Graham Nash, who did make the transition to some extent, were perhaps like (in more recent times) Damon Albarn. Blur was his original group, he formed Gorillaz to be experimental beyond the confines of what was expected of Blur.
KingLouieLouie76 wrote:But the beginning of 1967 through the first few months it seems there was that IMMENSE divide between the Mainstream and Counter Culture regarding music. Even Frank/Nancy Sinatra were charting high that year! It took time for "Psychedelic" music to hit and there were the "betweener" (new word I invented) bands....
I think The Monkees were a good example of (as you say) a 'betweener' band. And, viewed from now, people forget (or do not realise) just how big easy listening/middle-of-the-road music was in the 60s. Artists like Frank Sinatra, Andy Williams, Petula Clark and Shirley Bassey, and (in the UK) Ken Dodd and Engelbert Humperdinck could outsell The Beatles and The Stones, whereas e.g. The Kinks or The Hollies could not.

In these respects Tom Jones claims an absolutely central position in 60s music - appealing to all age groups but with a powerful style and persona. His TV series, shown on both sides of the Atlantic, brought together all styles of 60s acts - e.g. he would duet with Cilla Black or Janis Joplin in equal measure.