Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

MsMagicAmerica

Re: Whats your favourite song at the moment

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 15 May 2017, 09:52

"Station to Station" by David Bowie

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 16 May 2017, 02:50

Mallard No. 22 wrote: I think The Monkees were a good example of (as you say) a 'betweener' band. And, viewed from now, people forget (or do not realise) just how big easy listening/middle-of-the-road music was in the 60s. Artists like Frank Sinatra, Andy Williams, Petula Clark and Shirley Bassey, and (in the UK) Ken Dodd and Engelbert Humperdinck could outsell The Beatles and The Stones, whereas e.g. The Kinks or The Hollies could not.

The Monkees are an interesting case study all on their own. They had Boyce & Hart, Sedaka, Neil Diamond, Carole King (Goffin), Harry Nilsson, etc write most of their commercial sounding songs, but they were quite experimental when the four were the primary writers and performed on their own instruments. "Headquarters" (not to be confused with "Head") was the first such instance and it was an impressive cohesive effort and rawer and rougher around the edges and yet still charted extremely well. They were able to get more control in their music input, but unfortunately the following album they reverted back to having others write for them... Yet, the best effort (Ive posted this before) was Michael Nesmith's main contribution and my fave song at the moment! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCWRjWOowkc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I believe w/that and what they eventually became w/"Head" that they could have been a very experimental and influential band but unfortunately had to fall prey to being this manufactured band to maintain a teenage following, a clean cut image to counter what the Beatles became during that time. But we all know what the Monkees eventually did to destroy that "boy band" image that they had to maintain during the height of their television show.

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 17 May 2017, 01:19

yo la tengo - nowhere near
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 17 May 2017, 01:28

Adam and the Ants - Ant Rap :twisted:

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 17 May 2017, 06:09

First, Forever Low Man ..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now my fave song at the moment is......... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrrGKR8Xii4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 18 May 2017, 06:23

Louie - there was certainly more to The Monkees than the fading memory of the public realises.

P.S. I am making 'Daily Nightly' my favourite song at the moment as well.

A real late 60s song if ever there was one - sounds like Jim Morrisson singing a Kasenetz Katz song, with Syd Barrett on guitar.... :lol:
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 18 May 2017, 07:33

Mallard No. 22 wrote:Louie - there was certainly more to The Monkees than the fading memory of the public realises.

P.S. I am making 'Daily Nightly' my favourite song at the moment as well.

A real late 60s song if ever there was one - sounds like Jim Morrisson singing a Kasenetz Katz song, with Syd Barrett on guitar.... :lol:

I just came across this entertaining interview and it placed quite a bit in perspective: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMrMSfWLpbw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 23 May 2017, 04:47

They explain 'Head' very well - with more coherence than the movie itself :lol:

Strange camera angle, partly obscuring those on screen. Is that a late 60s thing....? :)

Love it at the end - the kids wander in to get autographs, and the interviewer (who previously came across as quite trendy) referred to the movie as 'Hair'.... :mrgreen:

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 24 May 2017, 06:14

Mallard No. 22 wrote:They explain 'Head' very well - with more coherence than the movie itself :lol:

Strange camera angle, partly obscuring those on screen. Is that a late 60s thing....? :)

Love it at the end - the kids wander in to get autographs, and the interviewer (who previously came across as quite trendy) referred to the movie as 'Hair'.... :mrgreen:

Yeah.. .I never came across that video until that night I posted it on here..... Peter was rebelling that clean-cut image by sporting that full length beard. He was originally a "Folky" who jammed a lot w/Stephen Stills in the mid-60s until he became a Monkee. Mickey was heavily into soul music, David "campy music", and Michael really Country orientated. They meld all those tastes together to do something special. They mentioned "Headquarters" during that interview and I highly suggest you listen to that in its entirety. Purely all Monkees all throughout. The "Hair" bit was hilarious.... Peter's reaction alone was classic! :D

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 24 May 2017, 15:05

Girls Aloud - The Show

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 25 May 2017, 01:44

This...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zvodg_PqH18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Blur at their best... wish I heard them perform it live! Interesting in the comments several cite a Beach Boys' influence which I never sensed before....

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 27 May 2017, 06:46

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:Yeah.. .I never came across that video until that night I posted it on here..... Peter was rebelling that clean-cut image by sporting that full length beard.
The beard looked like it was false, borrowed from the prop store.... :lol:

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 27 May 2017, 15:55

Two songs are my absolute favorites right now:

David Bowie: Station to Station (such a classic and I dare anyone not to dance at the 2nd half)

Genesis: Silver Rainbow (An overlook Collins era song, great harmonies)

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 15 Aug 2017, 10:35

The The - Giant

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 15 Aug 2017, 19:11

Talking Heads- Psycho Killer