The Beatles Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: Caitlin, MrMagpie, tom_cas1

Mallard No. 22

Re: The Beatles Thread

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 30 Dec 2018, 08:01

MrMagpie wrote:
17 Dec 2018, 18:12
the bonus material does show that Paul was perhaps a bit..bereft, shall we say, of material during the making of Wild Life. I love that album TONS, but still it's definitely the weakest of the Wings releases
He released three albums in 18 months, which was not unusual in that period, but put a demand on his songwriting.

Louie - I agree that 'Revolver' was experimental, but more as an extension of its main vibe, whereas 'Sgt. Pepper' had its experimentation throughout.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 07 Jan 2019, 00:04

Uuuuugghhh! I’m so pissed off! I bought the Deluxe edition of Red Rose Speedway off Amazon when it was released and paid $183 for it. Now I see it’s listed for $84. Wtf? Why did they drop the price by $100? Did anyone else get the deluxe edition for more than $84?

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 07 Jan 2019, 05:04

I didn't look at any of the prices at the time of release but that is ridiculous. You should be able to put a complaint in and get some money back. Ludicrous!
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 07 Jan 2019, 14:43

I looked online with another amazon account that doesn’t have prime and the box set isn’t even listed. I talked with Amazon yesterday and they gave me some bs about how they couldn’t price match it due to policy. Needless to say I’m very upset with them and will be writing them an angry email later (at work now)

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 10 Jan 2019, 14:22

I'm content for now to stream these Macca sets. I love the guy, but the last several haven't really had enough great bonus material (or stuff that I hadn't already had on bootleg) to warrant shelling out for the deluxe sets. He set the bar so high with the RAM set that it's been tough to live up to that, at least in IMO.

The Rock and Roll Chemist: http://www.rnrchemist.blogspot.com
Twitter: @rocknrollchem http://www.twitter.com/rocknrollchem

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 10 Jan 2019, 16:19

I realized that as cool as the photo books are they're not worth $100s. And the video content was kinda boring, The content for Wildlife was stuff I've already seen so I just fast forward it all and the stuff for Red Rose Speedway was stuff I've had on bootleg for years. So for the next release, I think I'm gonna just stream it

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 11 Jan 2019, 21:03

What did you all think of Egypt Station? I thought it was mostly good but not as strong as NEW.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 11 Jan 2019, 23:58

I'll be honest, I haven't even heard the album. Fuh You put me right off. But if you say the rest is better than that I may finally give it a listen.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 12 Jan 2019, 09:19

MrMagpie wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 21:03
What did you all think of Egypt Station? I thought it was mostly good but not as strong as NEW.
I disliked most of it.... I only listened to it once though.... However, I was not a fan of "NEW" either. I haven't like mostly anything he's released since "Flowers in the Dirt".

Regarding "Revolver" and "Sgt Pepper"...... "Tomorrow Never Knows" alone is more innovative than anything on "Sgt. Pepper" and even "I'm Only Sleeping" as well.... I love how they attempted to explore several genres on "Revolver" as well.

Again, to me personally "Sgt Pepper" was more of a "period piece" that has not aged well whatsoever and I never sever of you will beg to differ. "Revolver" on the other hand continues to get better with time!

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 12 Jan 2019, 09:41

I thought it was only alright. There were a few songs that I liked, but to be honest, I haven't listened to any of the album since September. I think that says a lot.I think I'll give it another go so I can review it here. BTW, did anyone see that frightening video of Paul's song "Who Cares" with Emma Stone? Stuff nightmares are made of.

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 14 Jan 2019, 14:58

It seems like Paul is trying too hard with Egypt Station to be trendy and modern. I wish he'd just be himself because everything from Flaming Pie through NEW showed that he can still be great at it. Egypt Station just isn't very memorable. A few top-shelf tunes on there but the rest of pretty forgettable and a few (especially "Fuh You") are downright cringe-inducing.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 14 Jan 2019, 22:01

I'm glad he's finally starting to embrace the grey hair.

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 15 Jan 2019, 00:00

tom_cas1 wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 22:01
I'm glad he's finally starting to embrace the grey hair.
Yes!!!!

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 15 Jan 2019, 03:59

MrMagpie wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 14:58
It seems like Paul is trying too hard with Egypt Station to be trendy and modern. I wish he'd just be himself because everything from Flaming Pie through NEW showed that he can still be great at it. Egypt Station just isn't very memorable. A few top-shelf tunes on there but the rest of pretty forgettable and a few (especially "Fuh You") are downright cringe-inducing.
I was about to post the same exact thing myself! Perhaps he's recorded all he could at this point. Also, I had the same observation that tom_cas1 about him finally embracing his greys! :lol:

I feel he must collaborate with someone again and most of us believe it should be Elvis Costello!

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 17 Jan 2019, 07:37

Yes I don't know what to conclude about Paul. In the one sense, he is growing old gracefully, but in another sense that video as MsMA says is scary....
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."