The Beatles Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: Caitlin, MrMagpie, tom_cas1

MrMagpie

Re: The Beatles Thread

Post by MrMagpie » 19 Nov 2018, 14:06

TristramShandy wrote:Has anyone of you ever cut/pasted Her Majesty into its normal/original place in the medley? It was supposed to be after Mean Mr. Mustard (hence the opening chord of Her Majesty, which is in fact the ending of Mustard) and before Polythene Pam (hence the brutal stop at the end of Her Majesty which should have segued into Pam) but probably I'm not teaching you anything...
I did the cut and paste for fun, it fits perfectly (after a bit of tweaking, cause the CD tracks don't tally exactly as they should), but wow, on the first listen it was like discovering a Beatles tune I didn't know... Shivers down my spine! Highly recommended experience! :D
I did that years ago...was kind of neat but it also didn't sound right. Probably because of the way we're used to hearing it over the last ~50 years. I forgot to mention that the complete version of "Her Majesty" without the final chord cut off has been available on boot also, I've got that...the Abbey Road outtakes in general are very sparse, though...it's the least represented album of all of theirs in terms of available outtakes and session tapes, at least that have leaked.

The Rock and Roll Chemist: http://www.rnrchemist.blogspot.com
Twitter: @rocknrollchem http://www.twitter.com/rocknrollchem

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 19 Nov 2018, 17:15

I'd be extremely happy with a shed load of Abbey Road outtakes next year.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 19 Nov 2018, 17:44

tom_cas1 wrote:I'd be extremely happy with a shed load of Abbey Road outtakes next year.
Same. Especially because it would be almost all completely new and unexpected.

This is all I've got on boot from those sessions:

Octopus' Garden (take 32)
Golden Slumbers (take 13)
Carry That Weight (take 13)
You Never Give Me Your Money (take 30)...extended with jam at the end
Oh! Darling (unknown take)...Paul's voice gives out and he sings the second half of the song in a falsetto
Maxwell's Silver Hammer (take 21)
Something (take 37)...includes extended piano coda that was chopped off the album version
Medley (includes no orchestra or overdubs, and an abandoned idea to link "You Never Give Me Your Money" to "Sun King" with a droning organ note)
Her Majesty (with the end chord intact)

and we got take 1 of "Come Together" on Anthology 3.

I'd love more Abbey Road outtakes, those sessions have always fascinated me since they were barely functioning as a band at that point.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 19 Nov 2018, 19:01

MrMagpie wrote:
tom_cas1 wrote:I'd be extremely happy with a shed load of Abbey Road outtakes next year.
Same. Especially because it would be almost all completely new and unexpected.

This is all I've got on boot from those sessions:

Octopus' Garden (take 32)
Golden Slumbers (take 13)
Carry That Weight (take 13)
You Never Give Me Your Money (take 30)...extended with jam at the end
Oh! Darling (unknown take)...Paul's voice gives out and he sings the second half of the song in a falsetto
Maxwell's Silver Hammer (take 21)
Something (take 37)...includes extended piano coda that was chopped off the album version
Medley (includes no orchestra or overdubs, and an abandoned idea to link "You Never Give Me Your Money" to "Sun King" with a droning organ note)
Her Majesty (with the end chord intact)

and we got take 1 of "Come Together" on Anthology 3.

I'd love more Abbey Road outtakes, those sessions have always fascinated me since they were barely functioning as a band at that point.
Is Paul doing a vocal attempt on "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" actually legit or not? It's been circulating out there for awhile.

Edit: Here's a link to Paul's vocal attempt... Just don't know if its valid.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euiX9vr7CKQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 19 Nov 2018, 19:21

Sorry, meant to answer you earlier. Pretty sure that's not legit, it's been discussed in the past. Don't even think it's the Beatles, honestly.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 19 Nov 2018, 19:45

MrMagpie wrote:Sorry, meant to answer you earlier. Pretty sure that's not legit, it's been discussed in the past. Don't even think it's the Beatles, honestly.

No need to apologize..... I wish I still had my copy of Mark Lewisohn's Complete Recording Sessions. I have't read/had it in over 25+ years and that served as my bible! I read it religiously, but have since forgotten some exact details.

"Let It Be" sessions I believe will include Paul doing a demo of "Another Day" and John w/Paul attempting "Gimme Some Truth"..... I don't recall those two ever being cited in Lewisohn's book, but I might be wrong. Of course most of what eventually turned up on George's future solo albums were prominently already featured on "Anthology 3".......

Yeah... I don't believe that recording sounds legit either, but for some odd reason I have this recollection of Paul attempting guide vocals to "IWY (SSH)".....

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 20 Nov 2018, 07:37

I can understand that George Martin was the 'fifth Beatle'.

Beyond that, I don't think you can have a sixth Beatle, as any number of close associates may qualify; Brian Epstein, Neil Aspinall, Mal Evans, Geoff Emerick, Yoko Ono, Linda McCartney, Giles Martin - where do you stop?

And can you include Magic Alex or the Maharishi.... :lol:
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 20 Nov 2018, 13:09

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:
MrMagpie wrote:Sorry, meant to answer you earlier. Pretty sure that's not legit, it's been discussed in the past. Don't even think it's the Beatles, honestly.

No need to apologize..... I wish I still had my copy of Mark Lewisohn's Complete Recording Sessions. I have't read/had it in over 25+ years and that served as my bible! I read it religiously, but have since forgotten some exact details.

"Let It Be" sessions I believe will include Paul doing a demo of "Another Day" and John w/Paul attempting "Gimme Some Truth"..... I don't recall those two ever being cited in Lewisohn's book, but I might be wrong. Of course most of what eventually turned up on George's future solo albums were prominently already featured on "Anthology 3".......

Yeah... I don't believe that recording sounds legit either, but for some odd reason I have this recollection of Paul attempting guide vocals to "IWY (SSH)".....
"Another Day" and "Gimme Some Truth" definitely happened during the LIB sessions...I have them on bootleg. Very skeletal, both of them. "Mind Games" was also done during the sessions, but under it's original title "Make Love Not War."

The Lewisohn Recording Sessions book is great, I still have my original copy! Mark himself says it's outdated and that there are now errors in it because he's unearthed new information since he wrote it, but I still find it incredibly useful.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 20 Nov 2018, 19:29

I believe Paul's "Suicide" was also debuted during the Let It Be sessions, although obviously that came to nothing and just ending up being attached to a song on McCartney. Still, I love hearing those solo album songs played during a Beatles session! "All Things Must Pass" was another, of course.

Whether these solo songs would end up on a Beatles deluxe set I don't know though. I hope so.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 20 Nov 2018, 20:19

tom_cas1 wrote:I believe Paul's "Suicide" was also debuted during the Let It Be sessions, although obviously that came to nothing and just ending up being attached to a song on McCartney. Still, I love hearing those solo album songs played during a Beatles session! "All Things Must Pass" was another, of course.

Whether these solo songs would end up on a Beatles deluxe set I don't know though. I hope so.
Paul had written "Suicide" years before so he may have played it here and there during the Get Back sessions, but the recording of him doing the song (where the tacked on bit on McCartney came from...the entire song was released as a bonus track later on) dates from January 1970.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 21 Nov 2018, 06:02

MrMagpie wrote: "Another Day" and "Gimme Some Truth" definitely happened during the LIB sessions...I have them on bootleg. Very skeletal, both of them. "Mind Games" was also done during the sessions, but under it's original title "Make Love Not War."

The Lewisohn Recording Sessions book is great, I still have my original copy! Mark himself says it's outdated and that there are now errors in it because he's unearthed new information since he wrote it, but I still find it incredibly useful.
I honest never knew or just completely forgot about "Mind Games" ever being attempted back then. I must see if it's on youtube or somewhere.

I forgot how many takes it took to record "Ballad of John and Yoko".... I know the sessions only consisted of both John and Paul. That would be included on the "Abbey Road" package more than likely and it would be interesting if any of the banter between the two was captured. I remember how John made a mistake or something on the guitar solo and Paul said, that's okay George and then Paul made a mistake on drums and John was like, that is okay Ringo. I am remembering all of this from memory though from "Recording Sessions"...... Yes, there were several omissions it seems, but perhaps Mark was not provided with all the recordings?

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 21 Nov 2018, 13:17

Well, they found more tapes after Mark did the book and also I think he misinterpreted some of the stuff on the tapes (which he has acknowledged). He said recently the reason he won't do an updated edition/revision to the book is that all of the information is now on the internet, so why bother?

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 21 Nov 2018, 21:25

I didn't know that 'Mind Games' had its origins as early as that. It is my favourite Lennon solo single - it deserved to go much higher in the UK charts than it did.

I always think that, if The Beatles had stayed together, what a good album there would have been c. 1973-74.

In effect, it would be 'Band On The Run' made into a double-LP, with tracks like 'Mind Games', 'Photograph' etc.

All things considered, e.g. mature songwriting, better recording techniques than the 60s, it could have been their most definitive work.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 21 Nov 2018, 22:14

They would have reunited if it was wasn't for John's immigration case and their visa problems. I keep on listening to all these interviews of John from '75-'80 and he seemed very inclined to reunite with them, but then he would say, well due visa restrictions they could not get the 4 of them together. John jammed w/Paul, or would hang-out with George in NY or Ringo in LA, but that was the main issue.

True, Yoko factored in somewhat and later Sean's birth, but still......

Yeah, that would be no sense of Lewisohn in revising the book. I wonder MrMagpie, did your local Classic Rock station ever spend the entire weekend dedicated to only playing highlights of the Beatle's recording sessions? To reiterate, mine did in the late 1980s (I believe to commemorate the first year of Ringo's All-Star band) and I've been trying to find out if that program that was played still exists.

Oh, I love "Mind Games" and I must still track down that earlier version!

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 22 Nov 2018, 21:45

KingLouieLouie76 wrote: I wonder MrMagpie, did your local Classic Rock station ever spend the entire weekend dedicated to only playing highlights of the Beatle's recording sessions? To reiterate, mine did in the late 1980s - I've been trying to find out if that program that was played still exists.
If it was a pre-recorded show in the first place (which, given the deep subject matter, it might have been?) there is surely a good chance that it has been saved.

P.S. Louie - we can only think "what might have been" regarding a Beatles album in 1974, but that early 'Mind Games' evidently happened.