The Beatles Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Mark72

Re: The Beatles Thread

Post by Mark72 » 27 Jul 2018, 23:11

Paul being interviewed by Jarvis Cocker.. (Sound cuts out first few seconds at the start)
https://youtu.be/wT-FtdP-jdA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 08 Aug 2018, 05:52

James Corden is now going to have an one hour special of his Carpool Karaoke with Paul. https://deadline.com/2018/08/cbs-carpoo ... 41824/amp/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 09 Aug 2018, 04:23

I always hate delving into the "what could have been", however, John's lost album, "Between the Lines" could have been his best effort yet. It would have been the "Walls and Bridges" follow-up and it seemed to have so much potential, but then John reunited with Yoko, then Sean was born, and obviously his 5-year hiatus also ensued. "Tennessee" more than likely would have been the lead single and I would rank it up there w/John's other top-notch solo efforts.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2VdGMsuMNQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes, there's a touch w/"Watching the Wheels" (which is top-5 John solo song of mine), but this album could have been incredible.... Again..what could have been!

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 09 Aug 2018, 06:51

Mark72 wrote:Paul being interviewed by Jarvis Cocker.. (Sound cuts out first few seconds at the start)
https://youtu.be/wT-FtdP-jdA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I watched/listened to this - I wonder if he took a liking to Jarvis after the BRITS incident with Michael Jackson in 1996?

Louie - I sometimes wonder how John would have prospered had he been musically active in the later 70s, during the emergence of New Wave.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 09 Aug 2018, 21:23

Mallard No. 22 wrote: Louie - I sometimes wonder how John would have prospered had he been musically active in the later 70s, during the emergence of New Wave.

John was actually channeling his New Wave self through Yoko and some of the acts like B52s acknowledged the influence she had on them at the time. "Walking On Thin Ice", some of Yoko's tracks on "Double Fantasy" and IICR on "Milk & Honey" was how John was more experimental compared to John's track at the time which seemed more nostalgic or easy listening.

Regarding "Between the Lines", "Nobody Told Me" apparently dated back from that period which was early-mid 1975 and he even intended to give that song for Ringo to record. I keep on reflecting what if he never returned to Yoko because more than likely with the immigration issue eventually behind him, he would have been more at liberty to meet up with Paul, George, and Ringo, but some believe George would have declined because evidently he had a lot of disdain towards Paul at the time.

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 15 Aug 2018, 19:10

Video for paul’s New song Fuh You is out. https://youtu.be/oYnI--eSbnc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I’d like to know your reactions

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 16 Aug 2018, 04:32

KingLouieLouie76 wrote: John's track at the time which seemed more nostalgic or easy listening.

"Nobody Told Me" apparently dated back from that period which was early-mid 1975 and he even intended to give that song for Ringo to record.
John had a fondness for rock n roll of the period just prior to The Beatles. This was evident immediately prior to his musical hiatus with 'The Rock n Roll' album (1975) and with elements of 'Double Fantasy' (1980).

I like 'Nobody Told Me' with its kind of amazement (or bewilderment) at the world through the eyes of a middle-aged person. I can well imagine Ringo singing a good version of it.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 16 Aug 2018, 15:58

MsMagicAmerica wrote:Video for paul’s New song Fuh You is out. https://youtu.be/oYnI--eSbnc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I’d like to know your reactions
First, you already know what my reaction to this was after my long FB rant, but just to summarize in one mere word.... RUBBISH!

Mallard No. 22, I have never been a fan of John's "Rock N Roll" album. "Stand By Me" was great, but the other songs just seemed so force. But I know he dealt with a lot during that project, including conflicts with Phil Spector and all the substance abuse during that "Lost Weekend" period didn't obviously make any matters better.

It seemed by the early-mid 70s there was this sudden 50s nostalgia, but I wish John continued to push the envelop more and I believe he would have if it wasn't for the inevitable. He in fact was hoping to embark on a 1981 solo tour and rework a few Beatles tracks to modernize them. Now that would have been fascinating! But obviously I can go on and on about what else was pending if 12/8/1980 events never happened. Oh well....

"Nobody Told Me" with Ringo's delivery would have been so perfect and I believe George had originally written "All Those Years Ago" for Ringo as well, but then got altered after John's death. It is unfortunate that during this time Paul and George were at odds, but thankfully Paul put that all aside to help contribute during the recording sessions.

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 17 Aug 2018, 00:46

MsMagicAmerica wrote:Video for paul’s New song Fuh You is out. https://youtu.be/oYnI--eSbnc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I’d like to know your reactions
While Louie knows of my hatred of this song, the rest of you don’t. So now you do. I hate this song.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 24 Aug 2018, 22:36

MsMagicAmerica wrote:
While Louie knows of my hatred of this song, the rest of you don’t. So now you do. I hate this song.

And over a week later I am still trying to completely forget about this abomination!

Anyways, where is everyone? I guess we need Blur to reunite for this entire board to have more consistent activity again!

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 25 Aug 2018, 05:14

It is getting a bit lonely here Louie :o

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 25 Aug 2018, 17:23

Mallard No. 22 wrote:It is getting a bit lonely here Louie :o

Yeah.. is it that everyone is simply just busy or there is no longer interests to discuss the Beatles and other music? Or is the main reason that several are disappointed w/"Humanz" and perhaps "Now Now" that has not generated enough traffic/posting? Perhaps "GB&Q" sequel would accomplish that but definitely if Blur reunited in some form, but this is the least activity on any of these forums that I ever can recall!

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 26 Aug 2018, 01:29

No I’m here. Did you guys see the Paul James Corden special on Monday? I wished they didn’t show as much as they did on the original carpool karaoke, but it was still a cool little show.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 26 Aug 2018, 23:55

I finally got around to listening to Fuh You. Wow. One of the worst songs Paul has ever written. That was terrible.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 27 Aug 2018, 14:35

I know a couple of you disagree, but my least favorite Beatle track is "Wild Honey Pie" and I never thought Paul could possibly get lower than that and he did with "Fuh You". I know several did not like his mid-80s solo effort, which true was substandard for him, but again "Fuh You" is such an all-time low!

I hope this forum gets active again real soon!