The Beatles Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

tom_cas1

Re: The Beatles Thread

Post by tom_cas1 » 26 Dec 2020, 15:05

Listened to the album in full finally. A few good moments (emphasis on A FEW) but overall disappointing. You take away the McCartney name on the front of the album and it could be anyone. I hate to say it but I think people are only praising it because it's Paul... One of his weaker works by a long shot. Very few exciting moments.

Electric Arguments, in my opinion, will always be the closest we got to a McCartney III. Arguably SHOULD have been McCartney III.

I REALLY wanted to love it. Who knows, maybe it'll grow on me. I hope it does.

:(
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 27 Dec 2020, 13:52

I agree that if it weren’t Paul no one would be praising it. It’s funny, the more I listen to it, the less impressed I am with it.
I mean, it’s enjoyable and there are some good songs on it, but it’s not my favorite of his. It’s still miles ahead of Egypt Station!
The album to me feels like he’s playing it safe.

Also, I’m really not a fan of the many, many special editions. I think it’s a ploy to get people to buy more copies of the album. Yes, I know we don’t have to buy every edition, but he knows many Beatles fans are collectors and will buy all of the editions because they’re “special”

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 29 Dec 2020, 13:59

I bought one edition of the vinyl, I forget which. 1 of 3000. $25, why not? I think it's yellow, ordered off the Beatles website. But yeah, so many different editions. I've seen people in Facebook groups who have ALL OF THEM.

An average album for sure. Already forgotten about it, sad to say.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 30 Dec 2020, 12:41

I've got a bit of a soft spot for Paul Mc-C although I've never really bought any of his stuff.
Guess I just think it's amazing that one of the main voices of the Beatles is still with us and singing new songs.
One relatively recent song of his I really like is My Ever Present Past.
It's on a compilation I've been listening to, and I think it's just a great song. The singing, the words, the guitar lines. Everything really.
Wondered if this was the fan consensus i.e. is it considered a highlight of his solo work?

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 28 Mar 2021, 19:11

I honestly haven’t listened to McCartney 3 since December. I guess that says something about my feelings towards the album.

Has anyone heard the tracks from McCartney III Imagined?
I actually like the cover of “The Kiss of Venus”. As for Beck’s remix of “Find My Way” I’m not crazy about it. To be fair to Beck, I’m not really a fan of the song.
But I’m interested in hearing the other covers/remixes of the songs.

vitekm

Post by vitekm » 29 Mar 2021, 21:26

Neal Zeal wrote:
30 Dec 2020, 12:41
I've got a bit of a soft spot for Paul Mc-C although I've never really bought any of his stuff.
Guess I just think it's amazing that one of the main voices of the Beatles is still with us and singing new songs.
It's on a compilation I've been listening to, and I think it's just a great song. The singing, the words, the guitar lines. Everything really.
Wondered if this was the fan consensus i.e. is it considered a highlight of his solo work?

I like the song, but no, not really. I think its not very well-known track. I wonder what compilation you´ve been listening to? Keep on discovering his solo stuff, I´m ready to give some recomendations. Its always interesting to hear thoughts of someone from outside of "Macca´s camp".

vitekm

Post by vitekm » 29 Mar 2021, 21:53

MsMagicAmerica wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 19:11
I honestly haven’t listened to McCartney 3 since December. I guess that says something about my feelings towards the album.

Has anyone heard the tracks from McCartney III Imagined?
I actually like the cover of “The Kiss of Venus”. As for Beck’s remix of “Find My Way” I’m not crazy about it. To be fair to Beck, I’m not really a fan of the song.
But I’m interested in hearing the other covers/remixes of the songs.

So far, I´m bit underwhelmed by Beck collaboration, I kind of think that the original version is more Beck than this new version feat. Beck. I think Beck should sing on his version as well. I like the Kiss of Venus cover, it´s quite catchy and surprising. Now I´m curious to hear Damon´s feature, of course.

Gennerally speaking, this project seems as a an attempt to introduce Macca to younger audiences as a cool artist. There´s nothing bad about it, the question is, how successful it will be. If that helps a few people to discover either the Beatles (and his huge roles within the band) or McCartney's best / most interesting solo work, then ok. For us, his longtime fans, it may be a good fun, but nothing groundbreaking. We can always listen to Ram or McCartney II or Chaos and Creation in the Backyard with a knowing smile on our faces :-)

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 30 Mar 2021, 21:48

Very true. It’s a good way to introduce newer people to his work. I honestly never thought of it like that.
To be honest, I kinda like the Kiss of Venus cover better than Paul’s. I though that might sound horrifying to some people, but at least I wasn’t saying I think a cover of Band on the Tun is better than Paul’s you know?
The only thing that I really don’t like is the marketing with so many different color vinyl editions coming out. Now I know no one is forcing anyone to buy them all, but it just seems like he’s being money hungry.
I bought the standard black vinyl of McCartney 3 in December but wish I bought one of the colored ones because they’re all on eBay selling for a lot of money.

And finally, New Zeal if you’re looking for some recommendations let us know. I love hearing people’s reactions to Paul songs.

vitekm

Post by vitekm » 31 Mar 2021, 18:06

MsMagicAmerica wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 21:48
Very true. It’s a good way to introduce newer people to his work. I honestly never thought of it like that.
To be honest, I kinda like the Kiss of Venus cover better than Paul’s. I though that might sound horrifying to some people, but at least I wasn’t saying I think a cover of Band on the Tun is better than Paul’s you know?
The only thing that I really don’t like is the marketing with so many different color vinyl editions coming out. Now I know no one is forcing anyone to buy them all, but it just seems like he’s being money hungry.
I bought the standard black vinyl of McCartney 3 in December but wish I bought one of the colored ones because they’re all on eBay selling for a lot of money.

And finally, New Zeal if you’re looking for some recommendations let us know. I love hearing people’s reactions to Paul songs.
I´d say it´s typical for Paul to seek "current", "up to date" names for his records - namely producers. From Mark Ronson and Paul Epworth on New to Nigel Godrich on Chaos and Creation, or even to Hugh Padgham back in mid 80s for Press to Play. Also, this "re-imagining" concept is not completely new, see official remix-goes-mash-up album "Twin Freaks" (btw, there are some really good tracks on it.)

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 03 Apr 2021, 18:22

You know I never thought of it. You’re absolutely right.

Sometimes he gets good results and sometimes he really doesn’t.

I like it when he works with someone who isn’t afraid to say no and doesn’t just indulge in him because he’s Paul McCartney

vitekm

Post by vitekm » 17 Apr 2021, 08:35

Something sweet for Paul Mccartney and Blur fans
Attachments
Street.JPG

TristramShandy

Post by TristramShandy » 17 Apr 2021, 18:55

I love this Ram album! Clearly one of Paul's best solo works, imo.

Btw, did you know that Graham was born the very day Paul and Linda got married? How fascinating is that piece of trivia for Blur + Beatles/McCartney fans? ;)

vitekm

Post by vitekm » 17 Apr 2021, 21:30

TristramShandy wrote:
17 Apr 2021, 18:55
I love this Ram album! Clearly one of Paul's best solo works, imo.

Btw, did you know that Graham was born the very day Paul and Linda got married? How fascinating is that piece of trivia for Blur + Beatles/McCartney fans? ;)

yeah, I´ve noticed that when my social media were flooded with mentions of both "anniversaries". Also, March 12th was birthday of John Lennon´s mother :-)

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 20 Apr 2021, 09:10

I never knew it was John’s mother’s birthday. Also, I never thought about how Graham’s birthday was the same day/year.

I love Ram. It’s my favorite album of Paul’s. I absolutely love the harmonies on it (as well as many other things)

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 27 Apr 2021, 22:06

vitekm wrote:
29 Mar 2021, 21:26
Neal Zeal wrote:
30 Dec 2020, 12:41
I like the song, but no, not really. I think its not very well-known track. I wonder what compilation you´ve been listening to? Keep on discovering his solo stuff, I´m ready to give some recommendations. Its always interesting to hear thoughts of someone from outside of "Macca´s camp".
It was just a compilation I made myself from around that time (10 years ago?). I must have played the song 50 times and still love listening to it. It's full of melodic fizz, great guitar lines and pleasingly wistful lyrics! I'm not sure that he's ever played it live - can't seem to find any footage on YouTube at least.