The Beatles Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Mallard No. 22

Re: The Beatles Thread: SGT PEPPER 50TH ANNIVERSARY BOX SET

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 13 Jun 2017, 05:48

I remember a discussion with friends some years ago. We concurred that if we were introducing someone to The Beatles, we recommended Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt Pepper and Abbey Road.

I don't disagree with that, though I personally like The White Album as well. Though 'White' can be an album that casual listeners may not take to.

I remember the jaunty piano of 'Martha My Dear' coming on the radio one day, which was being played where I was working. Some of us in the room knew the track, but one girl in particular (at that time young, shrewd and fashion-conscious) thought it sounded ridiculous :? and let us all know about it.... :lol:
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 21 Jun 2017, 03:01

I must admit... I never hard the original until today..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k68Fob0QA_k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; George's cover was definitely brilliant and was a catalyst for his late 80s comeback, but it's difficult now to say which version I like best... Perhaps both equally since George's interpretation was classic George Harrison? You be the judge...

Edit: I've always known George's was a remake since his first was released, but I neglected for some reason never to check the original until I randomly came across it on youtube.

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 23 Jun 2017, 01:19

Hmmm, the original has more swing and life to it, but George's arrangement makes it total Harrison style. I kinda like the slower passed one (George's)

Did anyone else hear that Paul got another honor from the Queen? He's now a Order of the Companions of Honour. I've never heard of this honor. I'm surprised the news hasn't made headlines.

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 23 Jun 2017, 12:34

MsMagicAmerica wrote:Hmmm, the original has more swing and life to it, but George's arrangement makes it total Harrison style. I kinda like the slower passed one (George's)

Did anyone else hear that Paul got another honor from the Queen? He's now a Order of the Companions of Honour. I've never heard of this honor. I'm surprised the news hasn't made headlines.

I'd missed that too. Just looked up the details:
The Order of the Companions of Honour is an order of the Commonwealth realms. It was founded in June 1917 by King George V as a reward for outstanding achievements and is "conferred upon a limited number of persons for whom this special distinction seems to be the most appropriate form of recognition, constituting an honour disassociated either from the acceptance of title or the classification of merit." Founded on the same date as the Order of the British Empire, it is sometimes regarded as the junior order to the Order of Merit.
From my quick bit of research, it's junior to the Order of Merit in the sense that only 24 living persons can hold the Order of Merit at any one time and are personally chosen by the Queen with advice from her private secretaries. So essentially, the Government has given Paul the highest version of this particular honour they can. To get the one above, it would need the Queen to be a fan (I'd wager she's more of a Brahms girl!) and for someone to pop their clogs. :D

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 28 Jun 2017, 03:49

I like both versions of 'Got My Mind Set On You'. As you say MMA, the original was in the MOR/swing-style of its time, and was good for it.

George made a shrewd choice of song to cover and made a great version for the late 80s. It had appeal way beyond die-hard Beatles fans.
:D
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 28 Jun 2017, 21:43

Got married in New York on Saturday and on our way out of the park was the Dakota in front of us. We got some photos in front of it and at the Imagine memorial. :mrgreen:
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 30 Jun 2017, 02:01

tom_cas1 wrote:Got married in New York on Saturday and on our way out of the park was the Dakota in front of us. We got some photos in front of it and at the Imagine memorial. :mrgreen:

Congrats on getting married! Wish you the absolute best and eternal happiness together...What was you and your wife's first song? Did you family all travel from abroad to attend?

I must visit NY sometime... Both sides of my family have origins from there and I have to finally check it out....

This is just a random topic.... I've read how "Two of Us" was Paul reminiscing about his relationship w/John but some have speculated it was an ode dedicated to Linda? But then the latter doesn't necessarily add up due to what the lyrics convey......

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 30 Jun 2017, 11:28

I've read somewhere that Two of Us was about the times Paul had with Linda when they would take road trips and she would tell him to just "get lost" (driving location wise)

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 30 Jun 2017, 12:02

Hard to know what to make of the Linda theory for Two Of Us. When you think of the lyrics:

'You and I have memories, Longer than the road that stretches out ahead' - Sounds a little more like reference to John and Paul and a life time of memories. But then Paul could be referring to his and Linda's individual memories I suppose.

'You and me chasing paper, Getting nowhere' - and this sounds like a reference to Beatles legal wrangles and a lament about how John and Paul were caught up in litigation. Again, I suppose it could be referring to Paul and Linda as a couple having to 'chase paper' on their side of the battle, but it doesn't sound like that to me. It sounds more like a variation on the 'You only give me your funny paper' line from You Only Give Me Your Money.

I don't know what conclusion I'm drawing really, except perhaps to suggest that songs often have a confused genesis that isn't always crystal clear even to the writer. By which I mean, it could contain elements inspired by both John and Linda.

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 30 Jun 2017, 14:47

I think it's about both of them honestly.

It's funny as I remember long ago hearing that Paul's song "Jet" was written about his black lab named Jet. (My Mom heard it as well) Then he said in some recent interview that it was about a pony he had named Jet. So it makes you wonder, is his memory slipping a bit? lol

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 01 Jul 2017, 19:04

This is quite fascinating..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nguRK37qI54" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 02 Jul 2017, 19:43

Included on the just recently released Beach Boys compilation, "Sunshine Tomorrow" is their cover of "With A Little Help From My Friends" and this in the right pitch.. Bootlegs on Bruce Johnston's vocals sped up incredibly..seems adjusted here....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcWD1pIET8g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 03 Jul 2017, 16:23

Thanks for the White Album link. Looks great. I'll be listening to that later. :D

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 03 Jul 2017, 16:46

101reykjavik wrote:Thanks for the White Album link. Looks great. I'll be listening to that later. :D

You're welcome.... As a music lover, definitely check-out the Beach Boy's link and anything to do w/their "Sunshine Tomorrow" compilation. Both respective bands wouldn't have achieved as higher heights if it wasn't for their friendly rivalry....

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 03 Jul 2017, 18:53

Very significant indeed! https://www.yahoo.com/news/paul-mccartn ... 49451.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;