The Beatles Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: MrMagpie, tom_cas1, Caitlin

Re: The Beatles Thread

Postby tom_cas1 » 08 Nov 2018, 21:52

I still love Let It Be...Naked. Really good to hear the songs stripped of the Spector bollocks.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
tom_cas1

Postby KingLouieLouie76 » 09 Nov 2018, 04:54

tom_cas1 wrote:Good point. I think we're in for an exciting couple of years!

I apologize for bringing up my other favorite band, but the Beach Boys also have had an exciting past few years of releases and re-releases and it's all infinite hours of pure listening enjoyment!

Consigliere_11 definitely has the right idea regarding the prior versions/packages of "Get Back"/"Let It Be" before they settled on Spector's final one. They should release it in that form as part of the compilation.
KingLouieLouie76

Postby KingLouieLouie76 » 10 Nov 2018, 00:50

"The Beatles" new re-issue is on Spotify and I listened to all the "Esher" demos first and lord... that makes the package worth the price alone!
KingLouieLouie76

Postby tom_cas1 » 10 Nov 2018, 23:22

I'm listening to the Super Deluxe edition right now on Apple Music. Loving the outtakes! The Esher demos sound very good too. I'd like to own the hard copy at some point but I'm glad I can listen this way for now.

Stand outs so far:

Let It Be (Unnumbered Rehearsal) - WOW! So different to the final product but still incredible!
Martha My Dear (Without Brass & Strings)

Also important note how good Clapton's solo is on the final album version of While My Guitar Gently Weeps. The outtake on the Super Deluxe isn't disappointing but it makes you realise how THAT Clapton solo really takes the song to another level.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
tom_cas1

Postby KingLouieLouie76 » 11 Nov 2018, 02:20

I was about to comment about the "Let It Be" outtake and I was completely amazed on how exceptional that is!

I still haven't listened to the final 2 sides yet, but to me "Let It Be" stood out more than anything else except for some of the "Esher" demos!

I cannot wait for "Abbey Road" and "Let It Be" remasters, but I honestly hope they can still do something for "Revolver" because I was often amazed on how several of those tracks evolved from start to finish....I suppose some of that was captured on "Anthology".

I remember nearly 30-years ago my local Classic Rock station at the time played an entire weekend broadcasts of Beatles recording sessions and I've been looking for that for quite some time. I had Mark Lewisohn's book of recording sessions and would compare everything. I still wish I had my copy because it would put everything we're now listening to in complete further perspective.
KingLouieLouie76

Postby Mallard No. 22 » 13 Nov 2018, 08:36

I want to buy the 50th anniversary set on CD, but will wait until the price reduces a bit.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."
Mallard No. 22

Postby MrMagpie » 13 Nov 2018, 17:01

The Esher Demos were really the only selling point for me (I didn't like the Pepper remix and for as interesting as the outtakes are, how often do I really listen to them). The complete demos sourced from George's master tapes are EXQUISITE. It's like having a completely different, acoustic version of the White Album. I wrote about it on my blog if anyone is interested --> https://rnrchemist.blogspot.com/2018/11 ... rails.html

I wish they'd do some standalone releases of things like that instead of these mega deluxe boxes. Same deal with Paul's upcoming Wild Life, Red Rose Speedway, and Wings 1971-73 sets.

The Rock and Roll Chemist: http://www.rnrchemist.blogspot.com
Twitter: @rocknrollchem http://www.twitter.com/rocknrollchem
MrMagpie

Postby KingLouieLouie76 » 16 Nov 2018, 01:01

MrMagpie.....

I definitely agree with your review! "Esher" was always among the "Holy Grail" and here it in its entirety in such wonderful quality indeed makes that package alone all worthwhile! I just wonder what else could have been included. I wish they had all the "Back in the USSR" takes because of how it's been documented over the years that Paul, John, and George each attempted drumming. It would have been intriguing to see how that all evolved over time. I loved though that earlier "Let It Be" demo and I somewhat wish that was the final form.

I believe the "Let It Be" release (aside from releasing bonus never seen footage) equivalent would be the "River Rhine" sessions. I know several suggested the whole rooftop concert as well.
KingLouieLouie76

Postby MrMagpie » 16 Nov 2018, 14:14

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:MrMagpie.....

I definitely agree with your review! "Esher" was always among the "Holy Grail" and here it in its entirety in such wonderful quality indeed makes that package alone all worthwhile! I just wonder what else could have been included. I wish they had all the "Back in the USSR" takes because of how it's been documented over the years that Paul, John, and George each attempted drumming. It would have been intriguing to see how that all evolved over time. I loved though that earlier "Let It Be" demo and I somewhat wish that was the final form.

I believe the "Let It Be" release (aside from releasing bonus never seen footage) equivalent would be the "River Rhine" sessions. I know several suggested the whole rooftop concert as well.

I'd have to vote for the complete rooftop show in pristine quality. I've got the whole show on bootleg and the sound is good but it could be better. As for LIB session outtakes, I have the A/B Road set which is literally ALL of the Nagra tapes from those sessions, 96 CDs worth, and while it makes for fascinating listening once or twice, there's only a handful of diamonds in that turd pile. If they could compile those best bits into a set, I'd be up for it.

I have to say, though, I am into these sets ONLY for the bonus goodies. I am NOT a fan of Giles Martin's new mixes and the fact that he and the Beatles' social media accounts are starting to call him "the sixth Beatle" are rubbing me the wrong way.

MrMagpie

Postby tom_cas1 » 16 Nov 2018, 14:17

Sixth Beatle? That’s a stretch. A great producer don’t get me wrong but all the work was done by the band and George Martin. Anyone can remix a track.

Talking about a sixth Beatle is interesting though. If I had to go for someone I’d go with Billy Preston. His contributions during the Get Back sessions and Let It Be album were fantastic.
tom_cas1

Postby MrMagpie » 16 Nov 2018, 15:37

tom_cas1 wrote:Sixth Beatle? That’s a stretch. A great producer don’t get me wrong but all the work was done by the band and George Martin. Anyone can remix a track.

Talking about a sixth Beatle is interesting though. If I had to go for someone I’d go with Billy Preston. His contributions during the Get Back sessions and Let It Be album were fantastic.

I'd go with Brian. True, he wasn't involved in the creative process and he wasn't the greatest businessman by any stretch, but without him the band is nothing.

MrMagpie

Postby MsMagicAmerica » 16 Nov 2018, 21:02

I’d go with Yoko.
MsMagicAmerica

PreviousNext

Return to Music Is My Radar